What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I think Gennings is about as good as he will get. He's strong but otherwise fairly average for a winger. Probably lacks some athleticism and composure. Anyway he's good enough for first grade and I totally agree he would look significantly better in a winning side, like all wingers.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I think Gennings is about as good as he will get. He's strong but otherwise fairly average for a winger. Probably lacks some athleticism and composure. Anyway he's good enough for first grade and I totally agree he would look significantly better in a winning side, like all wingers.

Composure probably comes with experience.

Most weeks I think he has gone fairly average but then the stats show he has made 130 or so metres which isn’t to bad not great but ok for a cheapie

Every side needs a cheapie back like Gennings

Eelogical

Referee
I think he'll get better. Still a lot to learn considering the time he's spent in first grade. While he hasn't set the world on fire he will improve next year.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Which area are you talking about? In our own half, I agree, and hopefully Ferguson can do the same. He doesn't have Radradra's power or speed, but he has a better workrate.

T.S Quint

Coach
Gennings has gone pretty good this year, considering he is still fairly inexperienced, should have a fair bit of improvement in him. Averaging 134m which isn’t to bad, Oates only averages 142m, however his tackle breaks are a bit better (2.6 against 3.7). Any defensive issues aren’t really his fault.

I reckon once we start winning, he willl look like a top quality winger !

I’m ok with Gennings on the wing. He is a good cheap option. But to say that any of his defensive issues aren’t his fault is a bit wrong, I think.
So if the decisions he has made defending our line on occasion defy belief. Rushing out to take a player who is already marked by his inside man happened more times than you would want. Not every try down his side is his fault, sure, but he has been the reason for more than a few tries against us this year.
I’m hoping he is able to fix this issue. It might be about better communication between the edge defenders, or he might just have brain snaps. Either way, I’m sure Arthur know about the issue and will work to fix it. If he can’t, then replace Gennings. If it’s still a problem then replace BA.

Gazzamatta

Coach
It appeared to me BAs edge defence structure had the winger up and in and the centre sliding to cover the wing. I could be wrong but it seemed to happen constantly to my untrained eyes. Maybe all wasnt Gennings fault.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I’m ok with Gennings on the wing. He is a good cheap option. But to say that any of his defensive issues aren’t his fault is a bit wrong, I think.
So if the decisions he has made defending our line on occasion defy belief. Rushing out to take a player who is already marked by his inside man happened more times than you would want. Not every try down his side is his fault, sure, but he has been the reason for more than a few tries against us this year.
I’m hoping he is able to fix this issue. It might be about better communication between the edge defenders, or he might just have brain snaps. Either way, I’m sure Arthur know about the issue and will work to fix it. If he can’t, then replace Gennings. If it’s still a problem then replace BA.

We play a compressed defence so if the edge, centre don’t make the right decision the winger is going to look absolutely shit in defence.

Considering how bad our compressed defence has been, our wingers probably have no trust left in the centre / edge in making the right decision after a while, so they are force to make a decision and rush.

Obviously Gennings is far from perfect defensively and needs it improve, but our compressed structure this year was pretty poor.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
It appeared to me BAs edge defence structure had the winger up and in and the centre sliding to cover the wing. I could be wrong but it seemed to happen constantly to my untrained eyes. Maybe all wasnt Gennings fault.

Yes compressed defence, didn’t work that good this year.

Gutho did good when moved to centre in the structure but Jennings was pretty poor at it.

T.S Quint

Coach

Yes we played up and in, but it seemed that Gennings wasn’t communicating with his inside men as to what he was doing. He often rushed out of the line two to three defenders in to put a shot on and the ball simply went wide for an easy try. No one was coming across to help become it seemed thy had all numbered up on their line and Gennings went in by himself. Up and in works when you are short out wide or if the attack has their defence quite deep, but when you have man on man with the attack and you just need to flow the play and slide over there’s no need. Maybe it is just poor coaching. :shrug:♂️

El Diablo

Post Whore
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/wi...ml?ref=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_source=rss_feed

Williams' career in jeopardy over second strike drugs test

Adrian Proszenko15 September 2018 — 8:00pm

The career of former Kangaroo and NSW forward Tony Williams appears over with he and another Parramatta teammate understood to have recorded a second strike under the code’s illicit drugs policy.

Williams and utility back Nathan Davis will not be offered new Eels contracts after the pair became embroiled in the NRL’s latest drugs scandal. Both players are understood to have tested positive to cocaine, which if confirmed at a disciplinary hearing this week would be a second strike under the policy and incur an automatic 12-match suspension.

It is the latest incident to overshadow the NRL finals series after Canterbury was hit with a proposed $250,000 fine for the behaviour of its staff and players during Mad Monday celebrations. South Sydney has also kept the NRL’s integrity unit busy with a lewd video tape scandal from an unidentified woman, just as revelations emerged that forward Zane Musgrove is facing domestic violence allegations.

The Williams and Davis situation is yet another setback in a horror season for Parramatta. The club was hoping to stay out of the headlines after earning the club's third wooden spoon in seven seasons. However, the Eels are now in the process of arranging disciplinary hearings for the pair.

Parramatta offered Williams a lifeline with a one-year deal at the start of the season. Their faith was tested when he was fined $1000 and had his driver’s license suspended for 12 months after blowing 0.12 during the off-season. After serving a club-imposed two game suspension, the man dubbed T-Rex showed glimpses of his best form in five first-grade appearances. But just as he was returning to full fitness after a series of injury setbacks, the former NSW and Australian forward suffered a season-ending injury with a ruptured ACL.

Williams had hoped he had shown enough in his second stint at Parramatta to justify another one-year deal. However, the Eels have opted to sever ties.

Williams may seek to continue his career in England, but prospective clubs would likely baulk given a 12-match ban would apply to that competition as well. The NRL and the Super League have an agreement for suspensions to apply to both competitions, as evidenced when Ben Barba was forced to sit out 12 weeks for St Helens after recording a second strike to cocaine. Barba has subsequently reignited his career, to the point where he is the favourite to take out the competition’s Man of Steel award before returning to the NRL with the Cowboys next year.

Davis was also off contract and was unlikely to have earned another before the latest incident. The 22-year-old joined Parramatta last year after making eight first-grade appearances for the Gold Coast. He made his Eels NRL debut last against North Queensland last year but has not been able to add to the tally, playing out the remainder of his contract for feeder club Wentworthville Magpies.

Parramatta CEO Bernie Gurr was contacted but declined to comment.

The NRL and the Rugby League Players’ Association are in the process of reviewing its drugs policy as part of the collective bargaining agreement, but there is already a push from clubs for more transparency. The clubs believe they could make more informed choices on prospective signings if they knew whether they had copped a first strike for recreational substances. The issue was raised at a recent meeting of club chief executives, while the Rugby League Players’ Association believes a 12-game ban is too harsh as it effectively rubs offenders out for half a season.

The latest drug scandal will raise questions about the culture at Parramatta after players displayed a lack of discipline on-and-off the field in 2018.

Fairfax Media attempted to contact both players for comment.

Stevie

Bench

One thing about Gennings that makes up for his lack of experience is that fact he has a f**king red hot dig.
He hits the ball up very hard when they are under the pump and I’ll take that everyday of the week.