What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why will London be a success in Super League

adamkungl

Immortal
The problem is they’re not new and people know what they offer. The fact they are intending to stay at that ground in the top flight demonstrates they are not interested in trying to be as professional as Toronto have been.
Give me a London with a Perez type in charge and I would totally agree with you, at the moment I just don’t see it.

I guess my hope is that Perez and Toronto give other expansion clubs a blueprint to follow and some inspiration to aim the f**k up. Lamport is better than Ealing but it's not exactly a top class stadium either, and they've done a lot with a little.
London have a golden opportunity here, it would be a shame if they waste it.

Pommy

Coach
I guess my hope is that Perez and Toronto give other expansion clubs a blueprint to follow and some inspiration to aim the f**k up. Lamport is better than Ealing but it's not exactly a top class stadium either, and they've done a lot with a little.
London have a golden opportunity here, it would be a shame if they waste it.

Can we really call London an expansion side at this point? They were in the super league for almost 20 year and it’s almost 40 since they were founded. I don’t want to sound very negative as I would love to have a super league with a good London, Toronto and Toulouse but I’m just trying to be realistic.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
toulouse was easily the most desirable team to go up for all the right reasons - decent public, youth, expansion, decent stadium possible, large population, benefit to international game. unfortunately they weren't good enough. simple as that.

london is probably second, despite the toronto hype. they just need a reliable and sustainable stadium with decent marketing. there is no way with the supposed latent but dormant rugby league support in london, a massive city none the less, that they can't be viable to the same degree that they have been in the past. they just need the right people involved to make it happen.

as for toronto - it was all too much too quick. i'm kind of happy that they didn't get in, and hopefully they will now be forced to consolidate their work off the field for a more solid foundation going forward.

Last edited:

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
finally, let's be honest - the optimal PR system, whether it involves an open league like the ESL or a more financial angle as will pretty soon be the case in the NRL, produces a squeezing of tradtional M62 or Sydney clubs to produce a survival of the fittest, and gives a chance for expansion clubs to compete. this is the only way that rugby league is going to go forward in this world. it's called evolution - deal with it.

Perth Red

Post Whore
It would have been better for Super League if a deadweight club like KR went down for London and Toronto.

I'm very realistic about my clubs long term future. We are currently a mid sized SL club, reasonable fanbase, reasonable revenue base, reasonable stAdium. None of that guarantees our future in the top tier and we need to grow to be assured of that. If better big city sustainable options come along we may well lose our place if we haven't been successful in growing our supporter base and business.

Bit like dropping a NSW cup sized club like Manly to the reserve grades to make way for a big city club like Perth. Such is professional sport.

t-ba

Post Whore
Na, Hull KR are more of a Belrose or a Wentworthville in the scheme of things. Or better yet, a Toowoomba Clydesales. Regional city club.

Manly are more of a Cronulla ;). Couple of good decisions away from guaranteed good times ;) or a Fulham or Palace, a club whose big city existence puts in a very strong place compared to minor cities like Perth, because of the corporate dollar generation potential that doesn't exist in remote bolt holes that exist purely to service the mining industry.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Na, Hull KR are more of a Belrose or a Wentworthville in the scheme of things. Or better yet, a Toowoomba Clydesales. Regional city club.

Manly are more of a Cronulla ;). Couple of good decisions away from guaranteed good times ;) or a Fulham or Palace, a club whose big city existence puts in a very strong place compared to minor cities like Perth, because of the corporate dollar generation potential that doesn't exist in remote bolt holes that exist purely to service the mining industry.

We’re actually a bit better than manly really, which is quite staggering when you consider the revenue difference between the two clubs and the professional sports club competition in hull. manly 8,500 crowd avg, deary me. Tick tock.
Rovers future will very much depend on our ability to grow OR the movement of big city clubs like Toronto into SL. I can accept that, I dont want to see rovers being like manly and stinking the place up holding back expansion and growth of the game as a whole.

t-ba

Post Whore
We’re actually a bit better than manly really, which is quite staggering when you consider the revenue difference between the two clubs and the professional sports club competition in hull. manly 8,500 crowd avg, deary me. Tick tock.
Rovers future will very much depend on our ability to grow OR the movement of big city clubs like Toronto into SL. I can accept that, I dont want to see rovers being like manly and stinking the place up holding back expansion and growth of the game as a whole.

You are right. KR are holding the game back and it'll be great when clubs like London and Toronto can play clubs like Cronulla and Manly in World Club Championships.

Looks like they tweaked the logo

DpKGReHWsAA-Pjx

Teddyboy

First Grade
I think the Roosters stink out the place

DlEHARD

Juniors
I'm all for London Broncos. So much so that I spent £90.00 on an "Overseas" membership.

I was very disappointed by the experience.

For starters the membership includes posting match programs overseas. That accounts for a lot of the cost and I don't understand why they don't just offer digital access like Big League etc offer.

I paid and didn't hear anything from the club until I kept emailing. It took half a dozen emails to different club emails to get a response.

My email...

Hello,

I decided to support the club by signing up for a London Broncos overseas membership on June 18 at the cost of 90 pounds.

As yet it hasn't been dispatched, or I haven't been given an ETA on its dispatch.

Also I am wondering why am I not receiving any emails from the Broncos about upcoming games, club news and results? Any other club I join I receive such communications. Am I not on a mailing list?

A suggestion for 2019 is to offer a digital component for the match programs, which can reduce the cost of the membership.

Rugby League needs professional football in London. But you need to make it easier and more affordable for people to support the club financially from a far.

Thanks
I eventually got someone (In August!) asking me for my order number. (No idea why they can't just track that themselves using my email address) I just got told it was sent next week and it did eventually show up.

I follow up and ask another question, which got no response.

Is there some type of club email newsletter that goes out? I’m a member of the Titans (NRL), Valleys Diehards (BRL) and West Coast Pirates (WARL/NSWRL) and they send me regular emails with preview and reviews.

Thanks for helping
I'm happy to see them promoted but they need to completely change their pathetic attitude to growing a fanbase.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I'm all for London Broncos. So much so that I spent £90.00 on an "Overseas" membership.

For starters the membership includes posting match programs overseas. That accounts for a lot of the cost and I don't understand why they don't just offer digital access like Big League etc offer.

I paid and didn't hear anything from the club until I kept emailing. It took half a dozen emails to different club emails to get a response.

My email...

Hello,

I decided to support the club by signing up for a London Broncos overseas membership on June 18 at the cost of 90 pounds.

As yet it hasn't been dispatched, or I haven't been given an ETA on its dispatch.

Also I am wondering why am I not receiving any emails from the Broncos about upcoming games, club news and results? Any other club I join I receive such communications. Am I not on a mailing list?

A suggestion for 2019 is to offer a digital component for the match programs, which can reduce the cost of the membership.

Rugby League needs professional football in London. But you need to make it easier and more affordable for people to support the club financially from a far.

Thanks
I eventually got someone (In August!) asking me for my order number. (No idea why they can't just track that themselves using my email address) I just got told it was sent next week and it did eventually show up.

Is there some type of club email newsletter that goes out? I’m a member of the Titans (NRL), Valleys Diehards (BRL) and West Coast Pirates (WARL/NSWRL) and they send me regular emails with preview and reviews.

Thanks for helping
I'm happy to see them promoted but they need to completely change their pathetic attitude to growing a fanbase.

They’re an amateur club with a rich owner. It’s highly unlikely they’ll survive in SL unless their owner seriously dips into his savings.

parrawentyfan

Juniors
In terms of rugby league cities around the world, Hull must have one of the best per capita following of RL. When you put the average of Hull FC and Hull KR together it is very impressive.

In terms of London, I have some vague memory of them being successful at Fulham's home ground. Maybe they held a WCC there or something else once off but I remember seeing it packed out.

Pommy

Coach

My email...

Hello,

Thanks

Thanks for helping

Do they do programs online? If they don’t already I doubt it’s worth starting for a handful of overseas members.

deluded pom?

Coach
In terms of rugby league cities around the world, Hull must have one of the best per capita following of RL. When you put the average of Hull FC and Hull KR together it is very impressive.

In terms of London, I have some vague memory of them being successful at Fulham's home ground. Maybe they held a WCC there or something else once off but I remember seeing it packed out.
I don’t think they ever packed out Craven Cottage. I think they once had 15,000 in the early years. The WCC you might be thinking about was at the Stoop (Harlequins RU) in 1997 when they played Brisbane and Canberra. IIIRC there were about 10,000 at each match.

Perth Red

Post Whore

Yeh, we also compete with a soccer club that frequents the epl. For a city of less than 300k to have three top tier teams with crowd. Avg of 20k, 12k and 8k is pretty impressive.

DlEHARD

Juniors
Do they do programs online? If they don’t already I doubt it’s worth starting for a handful of overseas members.

It's not hard to turn PDFs into interactive digital copies. It's also a resource for any fan.

RedVee

First Grade
It was hinted earlier that it was good that they stay in East London. Why is that?
Because that’s where they are now? Or because that’s where the most RL action is ?

deluded pom?

Coach
Yeh, we also compete with a soccer club that frequents the epl. For a city of less than 300k to have three top tier teams with crowd. Avg of 20k, 12k and 8k is pretty impressive.
City are in the Championship and won't be threatening the EPL for a long time. They'll be in League 1 sooner than the EPL. Then watch their attendances go through the floor.