What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

macnaz

Staff member
Word on the street, Tigers will announce the departure of Ivan the Traitor this week. Maguire has agreed to term to take over straight away and Uncle Wayne has agreed to term from 2020. Just up to the club now if they want to go with Maguire or put in a caretaker for 12months and wait for Wayne.

Of course now Seibold has thrown his hat in the ring up at the Bronks things may change re Bennett’s availability in 2019.

The sounds of silence at Camp Concord May be about to change
Hmmm why the double coach.. both are deserving of an NRL gig , just typical weststigers to confuse everything so we can have some extra dramma at the end of 2019 when they swap.
Fmd i think the club is happy to rely on off field dramma for attention and exposure rather than actually winning football games

Pilot house

Juniors
You’ve had enough off field drama, but not all of it of your own making.

Having said that, 2018 was a year of promise and I can’t blame the great unwashed and friends of tigers for wanting to keep the light shining.

Ic was taking you to the finals. No more.

But Bennett is ic on rugby league steroids.

Making the 8 is failure by his lofty standards.

Last edited:

super_coach

First Grade
Hmmm why the double coach.. both are deserving of an NRL gig , just typical weststigers to confuse everything so we can have some extra dramma at the end of 2019 when they swap.
Fmd i think the club is happy to rely on off field dramma for attention and exposure rather than actually winning football games

Mate I guess it’s a gamble...do you go for the bird in the hand or two in the bush. Maguire is ready to go and Bennett might need a year to get himselve to Concord. We can’t afford to go backwards, I would take the guy who is ready to start preseason in three weeks

Mario chalmers

Juniors
Mate I guess it’s a gamble...do you go for the bird in the hand or two in the bush. Maguire is ready to go and Bennett might need a year to get himselve to Concord. We can’t afford to go backwards, I would take the guy who is ready to start preseason in three weeks
How many sponsors and players would Maguire bring with him?
How many would Wayne bring?

Surely it's worth trying to push through the Wayne deal early - imagine if he brings Oates and TPJ with him?

Pilot house

Juniors

Seibs is on about 250k at Souths with broncos maybe ready to pay that out and have a building year with seibs. Seibs comes with goodwill atm. Broncs can probably let go of Bennett easily- especially if he seeks release to take wt.

Cicada is an interim coach, disposable over at the riff. Everyone knows that. Cleary can get on the bus over there, nobody has told the truth about his sacking previously. I don’t know what it is.

Souths maybe not so eager to keep seibs as a transition coach with an ailing side and fringe recruits. His reluctance to sign this year despite repeated attempts meant we have been looking at alternatives anyway. Could be contractual issues if the new coach is sl or nrl.

Madge, well he just couldn’t lift a fatigued Souths side, he had three long years and they played worse every year, so he was unceremoniously dumped -much to relief of Souths members and fans. We got one extra marquee and a couple of melbourne jnrs and suddenly jump to third place.

If there was any sign or signal at all that Madge could lift an ailing side, I’d sign him, but he’s not quite there yet. I mean nz is a fair squad to work with and he tweaked the win so good on him. Hes a very good coach.

But wt I think is a squad that needs very careful attention upstairs. They can destroy just about any side on their day, but getting them all to lift at once is the coaching equivalent of brain surgery or rocket science and I don’t think Madge is quite proven....yet.

And nz, these are highly motivated players, playing at home with the eyes of a nation upon them. So they had all kinds of motivation and they worked incredibly hard.

So in my view anyway, Bennett is a lion of the den with a proven track record. His players risk their careers and contracts for him. That might be the key to lift wt as well as the talent that will follow. He brings sponsers and respect. No one has really respected the wt for many years and the time is now. Bennett rocks up and all of the pessimism and doubt is overcome by a tidal wave of optimism and belief. Happens at every club he graces...as does success.

I could be wrong, just my thoughts atm.

Last edited:

Tiger Ted

Bench
Still not a fan of McGuire, showed at souths he has one way of coaching and no Plan B. Would prefer an interim coach for a year (Payten would be ideal) if need be then get Wayne for 3 years after that.
A massive NO to the shitbag Payten.

He whiteanted gentlemen Mick Potter when he was coach at Concord & he is managed by the treacherous grub Isaac moses who desperately tried to get him the coaching gig b4 the fraud Cleary got the job.

super_coach

First Grade
How many sponsors and players would Maguire bring with him?
How many would Wayne bring?

Surely it's worth trying to push through the Wayne deal early - imagine if he brings Oates and TPJ with him?

Of course...but Wayne wants to push the Bronks nose in some deep shit by winning the comp in 2019 or coming bloody close to prove a point. I am not sure he ready just yet to take on mission impossible. Madge on the other hand is fired up and ready to go. He is a sacked coach with plenty to prove...similar to IC the terrible 18 months ago

Pilot house

Juniors
Bennett’s probably got at least another 7 or 8 years in him. Thats about 4 or 5 premierships after recruiting his model side.

He’s sharper than a lot of 30 year olds atm.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Payten... f**k no.. What are you thinking Vic

A massive NO to the shitbag Payten.

He whiteanted gentlemen Mick Potter when he was coach at Concord & he is managed by the treacherous grub Isaac moses who desperately tried to get him the coaching gig b4 the fraud Cleary got the job.

I realize there were issues with Payten previously, however Potter wasn’t rated by anyone (A player who’s still at the club now told me this and no not Robbie).

Paytens had success wherever he’s been and appears highly rated. I get why some people wouldn’t want him, but to me he’d be a much better option then Hodgson.

BrotherJim05

Bench
The only downside to signing Bennett is this notion that he somehow should retire. By all reports from Bronco's players he is as switched on as he has ever been and quite frankly this whole thing stinks of ageism.

I realize there were issues with Payten previously, however Potter wasn’t rated by anyone (A player who’s still at the club now told me this and no not Robbie).

Paytens had success wherever he’s been and appears highly rated. I get why some people wouldn’t want him, but to me he’d be a much better option then Hodgson.

Would rather Payten do his first year as a tradie elsewhere. I'm done seeing has been's and never were's given opportunities, that's all we've had at this club since Sheens and we haven't made the finals, and it's no surprise. Time to shell out on a decent coach with some legitimate credentials if we want to start playing with the big boys.

Pilot house

Juniors
Dean Pay is another club folklore God who has turned into an nrl coaching version of a nightmare on Elm Street.

Madge should be eyeing off the dogsters.

Tiger05

First Grade

I like Hodgo though. One of our best players ever and he handled himself with class. I'd love to see use get a top quality coach to train Hodgo up and then give Hodgo the job.

super_coach

First Grade
I like Hodgo though. One of our best players ever and he handled himself with class. I'd love to see use get a top quality coach to train Hodgo up and then give Hodgo the job.

Trouble is, most new coaches bring their own team of assistants with them. So Hogo might be on the dole que if and when the new man arrives. Hope not as he seems like a guy who could make a decent coach

Vic Mackey

Referee

Hodgo is a club legend yet is still a baby even as assistant coaches go. With a red hot NSW Cup that should have won the comp we performed pretty ordinary (yes I’m aware the side lost a ton of players, yet even early on weren’t doing as well we we should of). Throwing him in early wouldn’t be fair on him and would likely set his career back years.

Tiger5150

Bench
Talk of Payten & Hodgo etc is hopefully futile.

At their present stage of development, Tigers need a high profile, established coach with proven success regardless of relative ability. By this I mean I dont care if Payten is twice the coach that Bennett is (cant imagine it), the real merit for the club at the moment is credibility, attracting players & sponsors. A new guy is not going to do any of this.

macnaz

Staff member
Just get Toovey.. he is ready now.
I was impressed with a coment he made the other day about Manly, along the lines that the facilities arent good over there .

Toovey has said that he would consider taking over the reins, and that the argument of not enough resources doesn’t wash.

‘People make clubs, not resources’

Thats the sort of attitude thats needed here , not the soft sooky " we dont have bs"

WT2K

Juniors
If the club goes with Wayne as next coach and starting 2020.. Who takes the reigns for 2019? Hodgo or one of Wayne's assistants he'd most likely bring with him?
Lol just Toovey.. he is ready now.
I was impressed with a coment he made the other day about Manly, along the lines that the facilities arent good over there and he said they never were and it didnt stop them making the finals regularly, and its about the people not the facilities.
As toovey said himself a 40kg dumbbell is a 40kg dumbbell no matter where you are. I like him as a coach but it does look like it's down to the two being talked about Wayne and Madge.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Just get Toovey.. he is ready now.
I was impressed with a coment he made the other day about Manly, along the lines that the facilities arent good over there .

Toovey has said that he would consider taking over the reins, and that the argument of not enough resources doesn’t wash.

‘People make clubs, not resources’

Thats the sort of attitude thats needed here , not the soft sooky " we dont have bs"

I liked what Josh reynolds said about our facilities in the pre season. He said yeah it was a big step down from Canterburys but at the end of the day an old 20kg dumbbell weighs the same as a brand new one, it’s up to the player to put the effort in.