What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your five most underrated players of the NRL era (1998-2018)

TheDalek079

Bench
most underrated - Luke Phillips. If you were to pick a fullback to play for your life, you'd pick Diamond. Rock solid, superb tackler (remember his tackle to win the prelim v the Knights 2000?), could spark the attack. Put his body on the line week in and week out. Yet when people think of great modern fullbacks, all they talk about is Slater and Ponga. its crazy!

Five more most underrated players:

1 Sonny Bill Williams. Dude was a freakin' beast. Unbelievable during his Dogs time, and returned even better for the Roosters in 2013/14. Yet everyone carries on like he's a run of the mill second rower.

2 Mitchell Aubusson. He's absolutely central to the Roosters' success over the past decade, but aside from a few Easts fans he never rates a mention.

3 Anthony Tupou. An incredible force 2005-2008, then he moved to Cronulla and his star faded. But what he did on those brief years at the top was exactly what you expect from a world class forward. Strangely forgotten by everyone

4 Daniel Tupou. Played 130+ games and scored 70+ tries for the most successful team of the last five years. You must be good to hold down a place in a succesful team, but everyone focusses on the razzle dazzle of his wing partner (RTS, Fergo...)

5 Chris Flannery. Flanno was the ultimate utility. Every team needs a Flannery

Canard

Immortal
This looks like the best list offered so far. These are players who have come from the northern hemisphere to the NRL with a good reputation, and subsequently left the NRL and made an even better reputation for themselves back in the northern hemisphere.

For example Remi Casty, after an oustanding year for the Catalans, made the 2018 Super League Dream Team.

I assume you meant this response to be from another account.

jim_57

Staff member
1 Sonny Bill Williams. Dude was a freakin' beast. Unbelievable during his Dogs time, and returned even better for the Roosters in 2013/14. Yet everyone carries on like he's a run of the mill second rower.

If SBW can be considered "underrated" this has inspired me to start my list..

1. Johnathan Thurston.
2-5. 4 Other dudes from my club.

firechild

First Grade
most underrated - Luke Phillips. If you were to pick a fullback to play for your life, you'd pick Diamond. Rock solid, superb tackler (remember his tackle to win the prelim v the Knights 2000?), could spark the attack. Put his body on the line week in and week out. Yet when people think of great modern fullbacks, all they talk about is Slater and Ponga. its crazy!

Five more most underrated players:

2 Mitchell Aubusson. He's absolutely central to the Roosters' success over the past decade, but aside from a few Easts fans he never rates a mention.

3 Anthony Tupou. An incredible force 2005-2008, then he moved to Cronulla and his star faded. But what he did on those brief years at the top was exactly what you expect from a world class forward. Strangely forgotten by everyone

4 Daniel Tupou. Played 130+ games and scored 70+ tries for the most successful team of the last five years. You must be good to hold down a place in a succesful team, but everyone focusses on the razzle dazzle of his wing partner (RTS, Fergo...)

Have you ever watched a game that didn't involve the Roosters?

BennyV

Referee
4. Joe Burgess - Sydney Roosters, South Sydney Rabbitohs (multiple try scorer for Sydney Roosters, South Sydney, and Wigan
Wow, multiple try scorer? Don’t see many of those these days.
Hope they are prepping his HoF induction...how did he miss out on the Dally M Medal in those years?

Lambretta

First Grade
Wow, multiple try scorer? Don’t see many of those these days.
Hope they are prepping his HoF induction...how did he miss out on the Dally M Medal in those years?

By multiple, he means two
Leon Bott did that in one game. Hell, Korbin Sims did too

Where are their names? Oh, there they are ^^

Lambretta

First Grade
Aiden Tolman - Mr reliable
Alan Tongue - Mr 110%
Michael Gordon - Ice cool and mistake free
Jason Nightingale - OK, so he's rated by Rabs, but bugger me, this guy has an amazing record for someone of his size, speed and power.
Jarrod Croker - Brilliant player - scores often and a deadly kick
Mitchell Aubusson - He's the Rick Astley of Rugby League

Trent Merrin, Matt Prior and a few others also spring to mind

BennyV

Referee
Aiden Tolman - Mr reliable
Alan Tongue - Mr 110%
Michael Gordon - Ice cool and mistake free
Jason Nightingale - OK, so he's rated by Rabs, but bugger me, this guy has an amazing record for someone of his size, speed and power.
Jarrod Croker - Brilliant player - scores often and a deadly kick
Mitchell Aubusson - He's the Rick Astley of Rugby League

Trent Merrin, Matt Prior and a few others also spring to mind
Interesting call on Nightingale. Aside from the fact that he’s fallen behind the last year or so, you won’t find a Dragons fan who doesn’t love the guy. As you say, with his size, speed and skill he’s got no right to have had the career that he has but he just delivered year after year! This year he joined Fittler, Lockyer and Slater as the only 4 players to rack up 250 games, 30 tests, 100 tries and a premiership - pretty crazy company.

Not sure if he’s underrated outside of Dragonland but he’s definitely an achiever!!

Interesting call on Nightingale. Aside from the fact that he’s fallen behind the last year or so, you won’t find a Dragons fan who doesn’t love the guy. As you say, with his size, speed and skill he’s got no right to have had the career that he has but he just delivered year after year! This year he joined Fittler, Lockyer and Slater as the only 4 players to rack up 250 games, 30 tests, 100 tries and a premiership - pretty crazy company.

Not sure if he’s underrated outside of Dragonland but he’s definitely an achiever!!
Poor man's David Simmons

horrie hastings

First Grade

Totally agree on Luke Phillips and Mitch Aubusson, you summed up Luke Phillips perfectly in your post, his performance in the 2000 and 2002 Grand Finals were superb and he was playing injured in both of those, he was very close to the best player on the field in the 2000 GF even on the losing side.

Good call on Anthony Tupou and Chris Flannery, I like Daniel Tupou, the man is beast out the wing but I wouldn't say he is underrated, he has played SOO and the way he ended the Wolf man's career in 2013 GF was just brilliant to watch.

I would add Michael Gordon to the list of underrated players, just goes about his business at the back for whatever team he plays for, great defender, good attacker and a great goal kicker, he never lets the team down, I am glad I got to see him play at the Roosters, a true gentleman and champion.

Last edited:

horrie hastings

First Grade
Luke Burt, I always enjoyed watching him play for the Eels, I reckon his best position was fullback but he had to contend with Parra having players like Clinton Schifcofske, Brett Hodgson,Wade McKinnon and Jarryd Hayne at fullback at different times so Burt slotted in as centre and winger with the greatest of ease. Also a great goal kicker.

A bit like Dave Peachey.
He got I think 1 go at origin.
( not super league )

Nope. Nathan Blacklock never played a State of Origin game. His first rep jersey was for country origin in City v Country in 2001. He followed that up by playing 2 games for Australia, he made his Test debut against PNG and then played the 3rd test against England in November 2001 after Lote Tuqiri got injured. Only other rep game was playing for Country in 2004.

Source: https://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/players/nathan-blacklock/summary.html

mozza91

Coach

I think Greg Inglis has done all those things?

Latest posts