What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jamaica players

milton

Juniors
Out of interest are there other well known Jamaican players who didn’t play for them in the qualifiers?

Please don’t turn this into a heritage vs home grown debate like every other thread on here.

langpark

First Grade
Not sure. Karl Pryce is Jamaican, he's still only 32, I have no idea why he retired at 30, I can only assume it was injury.

paulmac

Juniors
The biggest name is Kallum Watkins. Others include Jodie Broughton & Jamie Jones Buchanan

Perth Red

Post Whore
Great achievement for them to get there but they are cannon fodder! RL is an unforgiving game and these amateurs up against professionals are going to get hammered. Just hope they dont die of hypothermia in the process!

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Great achievement for them to get there but they are cannon fodder! RL is an unforgiving game and these amateurs up against professionals are going to get hammered. Just hope they dont die of hypothermia in the process!

Considering that their squad are pretty much all English, I think they would have aclimatised by now - lol

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I was foolishly under the impression most of them actually played in the Jamaica comp. I should know better!

To be fair to them, they've done a lot of good work domestically so I hope that this world cup appearance leads to a rise in popularity in the sport so that in a decade or so, they are able to field a side of born and bred Jamaicans.

taste2taste

Juniors
This Jamaican team will cop the same treatment from the keyboards warriors as Lebanon did

"A heritage team who have never stepped foot in the country they are playing for"

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
This Jamaican team will cop the same treatment from the keyboards warriors as Lebanon did

"A heritage team who have never stepped foot in the country they are playing for"

It's a fair critisism. I don't mind nations starting off this way but you would like to see them progress the way Ireland, USA, Wales are going and actually use citizens of that country as the domestic scene improves.

RedVee

First Grade
It's a fair critisism. I don't mind nations starting off this way but you would like to see them progress the way Ireland, USA, Wales are going and actually use citizens of that country as the domestic scene improves.
I think Jamaica have done it the other way round. Built a domestic scene over the last dozen ? years, using mostly domestic players for internationals. This RLWC qualifier has the most and, I’m guessing, highest quality heritage players they have used.

taste2taste

Juniors
Either way, using domestic or heritage players, they aren't going to win it, so why not use more domestic players ?
It will promote the game better in Jamaica and gives the RLWC more credibility.

deal.with.it

Juniors
Well get the top 20 domestic players into UK, French, Aus and NZ teams for the next 3 years. Then you can have a balanced national team.

roughyedspud

Coach
Either way, using domestic or heritage players, they aren't going to win it, so why not use more domestic players ?
It will promote the game better in Jamaica and gives the RLWC more credibility.

I'm sure they'll adopt some kind of domestic quota to their WC squad..

But on the flipside of what you side about them not winning it..true,but they could have a decent shot of making the quarters and thus auto qualify for the next world cup...that means Jamaica can use a two tier international set up..and by that I mean the full strength Jamaica team could step up and play games in Europe against better opposition..they've beat Ireland,drew with Wales and gave France a game in the past...

And a development Jamaica team would carry on playing the USA,canada etc..