What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Widdop seeks release

st penguin

Juniors
Seriously? How long has Widdop been kicking in the NRL compared to Lomax?

Anyway, a statement was made that Lomax is a “better goal kicker” than Widdop. This is flagrantly untrue.
They were 2018 stats.

Over his career, Widdop is about 75 percent.

Widdop - like all kickers - has also missed a sitter before:

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www...-front-of-the-posts/u82x42fuynrs1416dny76pm87

I think Lomax and Widdop are both excellent kickers. Time will tell how good Lomax will be.

Lafai, on the other hand, kicks at about 66 percent over his career. Similar to Hunt. They are nowhere near the skill level of Lomax and Widdop.

possm

Coach
Depending on how Dufty goes we could be looking for a fullback and a five eighth after next year.

Yes why not put loyalty ahead of common sense. Let's just write off another season in order to see if Dufty imporoves or not.

A more sensible move would be to sign Norman for 2019 and have him on the bench as the utility player for positions 1, 6, and 7. In this way, if Widdop's shoulder becomes a problem again or if Dufty has not improved his defence or catch and return of high balls Norman can substitute. In the same way if Hunt is injured, Norman replaces Hunt at 7 or if McInnes is injured, Hunt to 9 Norman to 7.

If we keep Mann, he should play at 4. If he move on, Norman to 4 and Robson off the bench to 4 in an emergency.

Last edited:

possm

Coach
Are we now in a similar situation Souths and Brisbane are in, we have a integral part of our club wanting out.
The only way i believe we could go is to let Widdop go now. If we want to have a successful year alll parties need to be fully committed.
Johnston or Norman are available so there are replacements out there. Lets hope we do not sit around like we usually do and sought this out now.

You are right however, SGI are dragging the chain for some reason. Johnson off to the Sharks and once Norman moves on from the Eels, there will be no suitable replacement available for 2019 and the Rorters will be in the market for a half in 2020 or before, depending on how Cronk goes in 2019.

Last edited:

ouryears

Bench
Listening to Widdop on radio, leaving his door wide open just in case.....

Repeated "At the moment I intend to be here" blah blah blah
many times.

"At the moment" is a caveat for him to change his mind....back to where it was when someone overheard him saying whatever he said.

Clear as mud.

I was hoping he would say "Yes, I am going but the club have just signed SJ, my nemesis from the Warriors"

Last edited:

dragon thomo

Juniors
Let Widdop go and sign Norman. There is no positves in keeping Widdop if he wants to go. Norman would benefit with a new enviroment. Johnston would also be a fair replacement but it sounds like he may go to the sharks.

Fire

First Grade
More concerned at how fat in the face he is - must be some heavy-duty side effects from the medication he's on after the shoulder reconstruction surgery.

He's also still in rehabilitation, and, not able to tackle yet.

That's way more concerning than some fake news bullshit...

possm

Coach
Let Widdop go and sign Norman. There is no positves in keeping Widdop if he wants to go. Norman would benefit with a new enviroment. Johnston would also be a fair replacement but it sounds like he may go to the sharks.

Sign Norman anyway, we had the coin to pickup Hayne, so we have the coin to sign Norman. - fullback, left centre or in the halves. He is a handy player to have in our roster.

BLM01

First Grade
You are spot on as per normal cc.
Imo
Really Justin Holbrook ex Dragon Under 20's coach and or reserve grade. Did not see him do too much there and did not Steve Price out coach him in knocking him off in the Challenge Cup semi final.
So does he not qualify as part of that old boys club thing...gee whiz..how is that a forward step..nearly would rather Mary
But I still dont mind preferably Toovey or another rookie only if nothing to do with the club in the past...how about Adrian Lam.. he coached the Under 20's back about 5-6 years ago..or more. He qualifies for a Dragon old boy..he'd do me as a rookie but I am afraid he'd be like JD..not considered cause they would both outsmart all of the club's heirarchy and probably have a mind of their own, and want to run their own football team their way recruiting and firing who they think best and that does not suit the Young's and some other cronies on the board cause their decisions might actually hit some home truths.

Last edited:

BLM01

First Grade
Back to Widdop's recent press conference. I admire he fronted some of their stupid and repeated questions that he just answered for 7 + minutes.
The only thing for me is he was more uncomfortable with answering the way and how it became speculation saying the media basically must of made it up 100% but who knows....but was probably blabbing one day when on the piss with his English mates on the recent tour....then whooska..newsworthy!.. but they were so adamant he actually or his management did ask for a release not just he was thinking about it...still does not sit well for me.
Where's a body language expert when you need it.

Anyway that appears over "for the moment" and I hope he stays until end of 2021, but in answering will he see out his contract he did not go on the front foot with a definitive either. I wanted to hear the following;
"I love this "clob" and I aint going anywhere while I am contract as I want to win a premiership here as a proud captain"...some words to that affect..:confused:

Dragonslayer

First Grade
More concerned at how fat in the face he is - must be some heavy-duty side effects from the medication he's on after the shoulder reconstruction surgery.

He's also still in rehabilitation, and, not able to tackle yet.

That's way more concerning than some fake news bullshit...

This is my biggest concern, and as I have said previously, it's why we won't release Mann.
I'm positive that had we signed Hayne it would have been to play 5/8 (from the bench as the utility back), and Mann would have been granted his release.

If Widdops shoulder is so suspect, then having a player such as Mann as the reserve 5/8 makes so much sense.
2020 season, appears more defined now, with Widdop and Mann (most probable) leaving, which opens up 5/8, and my money would be on Norman.

saintzrule

Juniors
All good mate, it's called selective memory. I also have a similar problem but it is called selective hearing. My wife complains about my selective hearing all the time.
Possum, domestic blindness is very common among married men!

Latest posts