What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Widdop seeks release

Fire

First Grade
2nmfnf.jpg

Genius move by Widdop.

No pressure on Hunt now.

Captain Courageous is taking one for the team.

2019 Premiership here we come!

Millward has now come out and stated they have been discussing the matter with Widdop and his manager for a number of weeks. In essence, the news articles whilst not entirely accurate, were also not far off the mark.

Widdop doesn't intend to see out his contract.

My point is you were ticked off by the overreaction of forum members to the reports that Widdop had asked for a release. Widdop isn't "homesick". He merely wants to tick another box from his bucket list.

Its natural for supporters to be upset with the suggestion their captain plans to jump ship.

Yes, some of the guys may have expressed their opinions passionately, however, your response in getting stuck into those forum members was equally inappropriate.
You have to wonder what effect his imminent departure will have on the squad.
How are other players going to react to that revelation?
I don't buy Widdop just having a casual, "shooting the breeze" type discussion about his possible departure.
Even if he sticks around for 2019 very negative scenario.
It is hard to reconcile terms like "he's our Club Captain", our leader, our inspiration with even the doubt that he will not see out his contract.
Nothing positive about him staying in my view and the sooner we find another solution the better.

ouryears

Bench
I new it wouldn't be long before vas had something to say
Someone says they don’t rate Widdop
Does not mean they are wrong
He has led us to our worst few seasons in memory
In spite of coming 6th last year
He ain’t shocking
He isn’t bad
Just bog average
PS. With due respect

Other than the fact that he is our best 6, and we don't have a ready replacement.
Bear in mind, we do not know what is to unfold post 2019.

Widdop is one of our best players, and he is clearly our best 6, provided his head and heart are in it.

If he is only marking time because he is focused on his "future", Houston we have a problem.

TruSaint

Referee
Widdop is one of our best players, and he is clearly our best 6, provided his head and heart are in it.

If he is only marking time because he is focused on his "future", Houston we have a problem.

I can understand that feeling mate.
However, I do believe whatever happens with his deal, he will put in 100%. Bottom line, given its nearly December, I am glad he is our 5/8th.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
I've been around the block quite a few times in my life. I really can't remember know of a first grade goal kicker who did not miss a goal right in front.

I think you would do better to focus on the vast majority of great goal kicks that were successful, some right near the sidelines.

I can’t recall Lomax nailing any sideline kicks, however I remember Lafai banging his first attempt from wide out in front of a hostile Tigers’ mob at Leichhardt.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
That was a shocker. However, wasn’t it his second kick in first grade? Probably feeling the nerves. From memory he nailed a couple of sideline conversions after that.

His conversion rate is about 84 percent which is the same as Widdop.

Seriously? How long has Widdop been kicking in the NRL compared to Lomax?

Anyway, a statement was made that Lomax is a “better goal kicker” than Widdop. This is flagrantly untrue.

Old Timer

Coach
Widdop has been as honest and as forthright as he can be under the circumstances and it should be left at that.
Many just break a contract or cause disruption until they get removed and that is clearly not the case here.
Like him or hate him as a footballer but people should give credit where it is due as to how he has handled his end of this announcement.
Meanwhile the crickets are deafening at the Taj.

emu62

Juniors
In all honesty not even Firizz, Sims or JDB deliver every week, there are games they have where, they are almost non existent or ineffective and the reasons for that are many and varied.
The issue with the playmakers like Widdop is that anything remotely off is highly visible and offered up as the reason why the team lost.
What about the games where the forwards were dominated and the halves had no room to do anything, is it just their fault?
Lots of playmakers have off days however with the best teams when that happens others step into the breach and our 2 - 5 and often our 7 have never done that consistently.
Lots of games last year where Widdop didn't play, others failed to step up and how did that work out for us?
This post is not an exercise of saying Widdop is Mr Wonderful it is just trying to get the balance of the argument right.

OT , Sorry but you dont belong here. IMO Your post is way too accurate & sensible for this site

jeffdragon

Bench
He better pull his finger out next year.
Or is he another beau Scott who was great in 2010, but started to go downhill as soon as he signed for the knights.
Johnson to sharks then maybe chooks when cronk goes

grouch

First Grade
Beau Scott won a premiership for us. And he wasn't the club captain ditching us for a payrise

Latest posts