What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018/19 Premier League

ggmu

Juniors
Just curious, who do the united fans prefer to win the premiership?

If they’re still lurking here

Spurs I guess but give us no chance to get Poch if that happens also couldn’t stand to listen to their fans if they do.

City I couldn’t care less if the win it. No rivalry with us imo. A nothing club that would be a 2nd Division club without oil money.

Liverpool are the only ones I don’t want to win it. Our biggest rival so it’s pretty obvious. Can’t stand the club. Can’t stand Klopp. Fans will be insufferable if they do it.

ggmu

Juniors
On another note. Is the fa cup not being shown on tv here. Was just looking on the Foxtel guide for United vs Reading but can find that or any other games

thorson1987

Coach
On another note. Is the fa cup not being shown on tv here. Was just looking on the Foxtel guide for United vs Reading but can find that or any other games

Yeah I only discovered this yesterday. I think at least the final will be on but looks like we will have to find a stream.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member

Couldn't find the Spurs game any where either, not Foxtel or Optus Sports.

I guess because its only Round 3. Pissed off because it was apparently our biggest away win in the clubs history.

Hell even Llorente got a hattrick.

thorson1987

Coach
Couldn't find the Spurs game any where either, not Foxtel or Optus Sports.

I guess because its only Round 3. Pissed off because it was apparently our biggest away win in the clubs history.

Hell even Llorente got a hattrick.

So according to Wiki we don't currently have anyone with the rights to the FA Cup in Aus.

Screenshot_20190105-192741_Wikipedia.jpg

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports_broadcasting_contracts_in_Australia?wprov=sfla1

And poor Tranmere. Was really hoping they could have put in a decent effort at home.

ggmu

Juniors

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
And poor Tranmere. Was really hoping they could have put in a decent effort at home.

They did well till half time, only 1 nil down but then the floodgates opened. I felt a bit sorry for them myself.

Their fans were very grateful tho, Harry Kane and Dele hung around for about an hour signing autographs and having photos taken with the fans kids which was good to hear.

Mong

Post Whore
I hope the VAR never gets a full time run in the EPL.

I fully support the position that over the course of a season things even themselves out in terms of decisions.

But watching the a league this season and they start applying that to VAR decisions you have to start wondering what is the point. With all the replays available if you can’t get it right more often than not, why bother?

I can accept a referee mistake but not a mistake after 5 replays...

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Its no different to the Bunker, I mean its not as though the Bunker gets everything right either

Mong

Post Whore
That doesn’t make it ok. Rugby League is a great case for why not to introduce it to the epl or football in general.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I didn't say it was OK, there will always be problems when humans are involved as is evidenced by both VAR and the bunker

Mong

Post Whore
I’d be happy for it to be scrapped in both codes. If we are going to have a win some lose some situation let’s just leave it up to on field officials.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
It should be used to stop the howlers I reckon, like hotspot and sniko in the cricket

Mong

Post Whore
If they can get the technology that makes it as obvious as when hot spot and snicko are used and for the most part no real interpretation required than yes, I could live with that.

The Goal line tech works well like that, I’ve not seen a wrong decision with that personally.

saint.nick

Coach
Technology is always going to be very iffy unless it can completely remove subjective interpretation as the goal line technology does. I personally believe that the problems VAR is meant to solve have never been that big of deal. Has there ever been a massive outcry to end all incorrect offside calls? I don't believe so, people just forget about it and move on. If your team is good enough then they will always overcome officiating errors over the course of a season. People still debate over offside still image shots yet we expect another human to get it 100% bang on like a robot just because he is using VAR.

saint.nick

Coach
I also don't believe that VAR and the bunker are substantially comparable in their necessity.

The bunker is far more necessary due to all of the various and very fine margins of rugby that the naked eye cannot determine in real time amidst the game's speed and body commotion. If it weren't for the bunker then a very large proportion of awarded/unawarded tries would involve some guesswork from the referees, especially in the modern game. With football on the other hand, competent onfield refereeing would not very often rely upon guesswork to award or dismiss goals, because goals are generally far simpler to observe than tries. There are basically only a few variables to consider when awarding goals, and those variables (such as an offside, handball, foul tackle) tend not to occur all at once for any goal scoring situation. In real time, competent top tier referees should be able to determine offsides, handballs, and illegal challenges.

Last edited: