What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

taipan

Referee
You don't seem to have much of a grasp of how politics works.

LOL. Now the FitzSimons methodology(everyone else has not a clue,Im the moral arbiter)comes into play.
I have more than just a passing interest in politics Federal/State and Local Govt.

It's not hard to distinguish, those people who are genuinely concerned about developments from those who do so solely on political bias.No matter how essential or practical the development may be.

A good example involved the Sharks residential and retail development.

TheFrog

Coach
LOL. Now the FitzSimons methodology(everyone else has not a clue,Im the moral arbiter)comes into play.
Funnily enough I cop a bit of this too, if you care to read the posts in this very thread. I don't go around accusing people of being Peter Fitzsimons or copying his methods though. But I'll take it as a compliment as he's had a great deal of success on this issue.

If the 20k lower bowl is anywhere close to full the atmosphere will be great at the SFS, as it always has been. Chopping 15k off the big games for a vague hope that a fractionally better atmosphere will grow crowds is not good business for any of the tenants.

It’s not a vague hope, there’s some science behind this. I’ll try and find the report but study was done in the USA about stadium sizes.

If there was heaps of big games, then sure. But we’re talking maybe 3 games a year.

taipan

Referee
Funnily enough I cop a bit of this too, if you care to read the posts in this very thread. I don't go around accusing people of being Peter Fitzsimons or copying his methods though.

Every post ,is carefully read by me.I didn't bring up the blue description ,you know who did, that is a typical Fitzy method.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion on stadiums, my view is that Sydney rectangular codes are being left behind and treated less than the oval football code inn this city. Despite the fact the rectangular codes between them would swamp the oval code in terms of popularity and usability.

Yep, agree. The demand would have to be there consistently.
In saying that, you don't see clubs like Chelsea or Arsenal taking big games to Wembley.
We need to build this type of sell out/demand mentality in this country as well.
It will encourage more people to become members to guarantee a seat at the big games.
If and only if, (for example) Bankwest becomes too small for the amount of demand from Eels fans, then maybe, consider a shift of some bigger games.
To be honest, I still wouldn't want to see that happen until ANZ has been reconfigured to a rectangular stadium.

Yep, that’s the key. You need to build the sell outs. People are complacent.

Don’t you even have the grace to concede you were wrong about the funding of the original stadium? I’ll never understand this mindset, i made a statement, you refuted, I proved you wrong & then you totally ignore it.

The new stadium will easily last 40-50 years if its designed properly. The original one was neither designed properly or built with enough money.

Last edited by a moderator:

meltiger

First Grade
Every post ,is carefully read by me.I didn't bring up the blue description ,you know who did, that is a typical Fitzy method.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion on stadiums, my view is that Sydney rectangular codes are being left behind and treated less than the oval football code inn this city. Despite the fact the rectangular codes between them would swamp the oval code in terms of popularity and usability.

& it’s (The AFL) then seen as the most popular game based solely on the visual impact of high crowd attendances. Ignoring any realties of actual popularity.

That article a page or so back regarding the original build of the SFS is really interesting for someone who doesn’t know the history. Particularly the comment about basically nothing having been in Sydney for years and years previously. Yet people then wonder why crowds are what they are at times.

If RL could get a reasonable shake facilities wise ... sigh.

What have Parra sold? Something like 20k seats alone. New shiny stadium factor course butbonce the families get in there, and have an enjoyable game day experience they will keep coming back.

Hopefully the SFS gets through the challenge. Just a shame Homebush didn’t get the rectangular rebuild it needs

adamkungl

Immortal
What sport averages over 30k? The big games go to ANZ and still will so why the need for the 45k seats?

We aren't talking average, we're talking occurrences.

Roosters alone *should* be drawing more than 30k 3 times a year even before finals.
We don't, yet, but should be aspiring to.
The 4 eastern sydney based teams (5 if you include souths but we won't for now) will play finals there, which should all draw over 30k.
They should also be playing big event/public holiday games there, more than the 1 current one.
It's the perfect size and location for Kangaroos games, if International RL is ever taken seriously by the powers that be.

And I'm certain the ARU and A-League/SFC don't want to limit themselves to a ceiling of 30k.
For future WC bidding (Soccer a bit pie in the sky, Union far less so) more than 1 high capacity stadium in Sydney is a big advantage.

And really, the CBD shouldn't be compromising with a "boutique" venue because of shitty politics.

TheFrog

Coach
“If you say so”

FMD

I linked to a quote from the labor sports minister of the time, it’s not a matter of my say so. It’s a fact.

If you say so is as close as a backdown as you'll get, but I wouldn't trust Michael Cleary the politician as far as I could spit. He was a mighty fine winger though.

You are getting your knickers in a knot about matters that are peripheral to the current argument. The issue is not how the original SFS was paid for, but how the new one is to be paid for. The Trust probably should have placed a time limit on its gold memberships, but they were for eternity, and could even be passed down when you died (I have ads on ancient VHS's where the late Norman May says as much). This allowed them to charge several arms and legs for memberships, but where does that leave us now? I do hope the first thing Daley does is winds up the SCG Trust.

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal
We aren't talking average, we're talking occurrences.

Roosters alone *should* be drawing more than 30k 3 times a year even before finals.
We don't, yet, but should be aspiring to.
The 4 eastern sydney based teams (5 if you include souths but we won't for now) will play finals there, which should all draw over 30k.
They should also be playing big event/public holiday games there, more than the 1 current one.
It's the perfect size and location for Kangaroos games, if International RL is ever taken seriously by the powers that be.

And I'm certain the ARU and A-League/SFC don't want to limit themselves to a ceiling of 30k.
For future WC bidding (Soccer a bit pie in the sky, Union far less so) more than 1 high capacity stadium in Sydney is a big advantage.

And really, the CBD shouldn't be compromising with a "boutique" venue because of shitty politics.

Again you forget about about ANZ. Socceroos and Wallabies are too big for the current Allianz. What will change?

No one goes to the CBD. Homebush/Parra is where most of the people live. Moving forward that won't change so again why the need for 45k.

As for Potentional WC's. What other city has a rectangle stadium over 30k? Brisbane that is it

There is no way Melb or Perth won't get games. So use SCG if they want extra

Last edited:

T-Boon

Coach

Is Moore Park considered CBD?
I think they should put new seats in Allianze and leave it at that. If the bathrooms and an exit needs to be done fine. $50mill tops.
Put all the money into ANZ.

adamkungl

Immortal
Again you forget about about ANZ. Socceroos and Wallabies are too big for the current Allianz. What will change?

I don't forget about ANZ. Why would Sydney FC, Waratahs, Roosters play at ANZ? And I expect not very deep down the ARU would much rather the Wallabies playing in Moore Park than Homebush.

No one goes to the CBD. Homebush/Parra is where most of the people live. Moving forward that won't change so again why the need for 45k.

A frequently brought up point, and pretty much nonsense.
Parramatta may well be the "geographical centre" of Sydney, but the most densely populated areas are all east of Parramatta.
Draw a vertical line through Olympic Park, and you have approximately 2.2m people either side of it.
The limits of the urban sprawl have been stretched and population density will be increasing in the city and surrounds.

The CBD and inner city suburbs are the cultural, tourism, and transport centre of Sydney.
Events happen in the city.
People come to Sydney to visit the city and harbourside, not the sprawling suburbia.
The entire transport system is designed to funnel people to - you guessed it - the CBD.

"Nobody goes to the CBD" is without doubt one of the silliest claims in this thread.

unforgiven

Bench
It would've been nice if what was put there last time could last a reasonable lifespan, which 30 years isn't, at least not if the public are being asked to pay for it.
I actually have a genuine question for you, can you list the 30 year plus stadiums we have in the country that are still being used for top level sport?

franklin2323

Immortal
I don't forget about ANZ. Why would Sydney FC, Waratahs, Roosters play at ANZ? And I expect not very deep down the ARU would much rather the Wallabies playing in Moore Park than Homebush.

A frequently brought up point, and pretty much nonsense.
Parramatta may well be the "geographical centre" of Sydney, but the most densely populated areas are all east of Parramatta.
Draw a vertical line through Olympic Park, and you have approximately 2.2m people either side of it.
The limits of the urban sprawl have been stretched and population density will be increasing in the city and surrounds.

The CBD and inner city suburbs are the cultural, tourism, and transport centre of Sydney.
Events happen in the city.
People come to Sydney to visit the city and harbourside, not the sprawling suburbia.
The entire transport system is designed to funnel people to - you guessed it - the CBD.

"Nobody goes to the CBD" is without doubt one of the silliest claims in this thread.

Isn't the Powerhouse museum going to Parramatta? Airport too going west

Maybe now but in 10 years it will be much different population will be 60-40 out west.

We aren't talking tourism we are talking attending events after work or with limited weekend time. That is why more events will stay at WSS and ANZ over time.

So I agree Allianz needs something done. Other than the Ego of the SCG trust can't see why it is the size

If you say so is as close as a backdown as you'll get, but I wouldn't trust Michael Cleary the politician as far as I could spit. He was a mighty fine winger though.

You are getting your knickers in a knot about matters that are peripheral to the current argument. The issue is not how the original SFS was paid for, but how the new one is to be paid for. The Trust probably should have placed a time limit on its gold memberships, but they were for eternity, and could even be passed down when you died (I have ads on ancient VHS's where the late Norman May says as much). This allowed them to charge several arms and legs for memberships, but where does that leave us now? I do hope the first thing Daley does is winds up the SCG Trust.

It’s not peripheral, the fact it was built on the cheap is central to why the stadium didn’t last. If you want the next one to last it needs to be funded properly.

One of the few things we’ll agree on is winding up the trust.