What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Goodbye Gus? Phil Gould to depart Penrith

kbw

Bench
Its all about Gould isn't it. when things don't work he bolts. When success is achieved afterwards he claims credit. I don;t think he had Bennett lined up at all.
The way he undermined Murray then even Stuart at the end because they were doing what he could not at Easts was disgusting

Its a good thing for Penrth and a better thing for RL when he leaves the game altogether

Bad Move Penrith as much as he is disliked in the universe he does know what he is doing running the football club..

Should have let him sign Bennett... The media got to the board and caused them to undermine him in signing Cleary look how well that has gone.
I totally agree. Gus might be many things but he knows footy and he knows club admin. I reckon this will set the Pennies back big time. Now that I've said that, they will likely win the comp.

Is this anything to do with that wankfest worshipping the ground the Roosters walk on, Oh my God how clever are the Roosters, FMD everyone should re-name their first born "Nick" piece he wrote last week ?
What has Parra's new stadium got to do with any of this and why do you think the Roosters have graced its surface to date? Are you all there mate?

Hook was sacked because they knew they had Ivan. Gus even confirmed this on the podcast released the night Hook was sacked. They hired Ivan to keep Nathan. So yes Hook was sacked to keep the 7.

It also appears obvious there was an agreement that Gus would be gone not long into Ivan’s stint.

The Cleary’s had all the cards, they played them and came up with a Royal Flush. Gus had a pair of 2s. Revenge was served cold for 2015.

Whether Ivan and Nathan were worth getting rid of Griffin and the God Father of Penrith only time will tell.
A pair of 2's? Id say he was holding a pair of aces and a pair of eights. Aces n eights mate. A dead mans hand.

some11

Referee
Probably the biggest cancer the game has seen.

He could be a force for good, but his agenda driven bullshit has ensured that other the has had virtually no success since the 90s.

He is also the worst commentator there ever was, and responsible for more negative coverage of the game then any other living person.
Here here.

Stood for nothing because he's played both sides of the fence for too long.

Gus Gould is a nasty man who has damaged the lives and careers of many players and coaches. He has made a lot of money while doing that. The sooner he leaves the administrative and coaching side of the game the better for the freedom loving people of Australia and New Zealand.

Dogs Of War

Coach
For all the anti-gus people. I'm one that would love it if we could get him over in a role to help guide our club through the mess we are in.

Give him a 2yr contract and see where we go from there. At worst he probably knows a few talent juniors we should be getting signed up.

Cause I think Dean Pay needs all the help he can get.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
Gus has a footy brain, something that for some reason is not a requirement for the games higher ups (beattie wouldn't even be able to spell NRL). Put him somewhere where that doesn't require a microphone in his face and he could still do a world of good. Only problem is i dont think Gus would be able to handle not having all the attention.

I know the france suggestion was a joke but a due diligence trip throughout the minnows wouldn't be a bad idea for old jabba to help out with how some of the comps are handled (or help getting ones started)

T-Boon

Coach
Gus has a footy brain,

I think this is over stated a bit.
Eg:
He plays a big part in ref blaming, which is horrible for the NRL.
He basically sank the Auckland Nines with his negative articles the year it folded.
He was a big advocate for the starting of the National under 20s then death rode it.

In terms of his standing as a coach he got lucky for NSW and basically Fittler and Johns made his career.

t-ba

Post Whore
Now Cleary can finally spread his wings and show us all what an amazingly good coach he is...

No pressure!

I wonder if he will do as good a job as Trent Spazzet did once Bozo left him to his own devices at Manly.

Ron's_Mate

Bench
Everything is just fine out at Penrith. Gus finished his 5 year plan 4 years earlier than expected so he has no reason to hang around. His office is being converted into a VIP dressing room for the exclusive use of Nathan.

Dogs Of War

Coach
I think this is over stated a bit.
Eg:
He plays a big part in ref blaming, which is horrible for the NRL.
He basically sank the Auckland Nines with his negative articles the year it folded.
He was a big advocate for the starting of the National under 20s then death rode it.

In terms of his standing as a coach he got lucky for NSW and basically Fittler and Johns made his career.

I think all origin coaches get lucky with whatever squad they get. It's not like QLD didn't have a cracking squad themselves at the time.

As for the U20's. No one could have forseen how that comp unfolded and that it wouldn't have the desired effect they thought it would. Who knew that the best juniors should be playing in reserve grade to really improve there games? With the benefit of hindsight there was little value in flying U20 teams around the country.

As for the nines, it was a lot of people saying the same things. I think it works better on a national basis. Gives teams from other countries (with a lot of NRL players hopefully electing to play for a country other than australia) a chance to show there wares.

The ref blaming part, well change was needed, but we all know it will never be right. I wish the NRL would do something like the NFL where the refs get it wrong, but the commentators don't outright lay into the refs.

Last edited: