What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 9 vs Panthers @ Suncorp Stadium

Who will win? Round 9: Wests Tigers v Panthers

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'd say this is the end for ET, seeing that Farah and ET are about the same size you'd simply assume Farah at 9 for x minutes and then Liddle on.

Depending on rotation of other forwards you'd have:
1. Farah to bench or
2. Farah then shift to lock with a mandate to tackle and not get in the way of Liddle, Brooks & Marshall.

Run with this and decrease the minutes that Farah plays moving forward.

Tiger05

First Grade
It might be the end of ET but I don't think that Farah's defence is anywhere near the level of ET's. Robbie often gets driven backwards. ET is great defensively.

LMAO at the Fox News reporter speaking to Campbell-Gillard about taking confidence into this game because they beat the WT earlier in the year.FFS the WT were the better team and should have won if they had kicked a goal.

Mario chalmers

Juniors
Kikau out is massive. Maloney likely being out could be a good thing for them. Luai will come in and adds some unpredictability to their attack, something they haven’t had all year. I seriously think I’d rather Maloney play.

News tonight says Kikau now looks likely to play. He'll be running at Benji all night which is a scary prospect. Benji is not very keen on tackling these days.

Maloney also playing which is good for WT. He's not combining at all well with Maloney right now.

Cannot believe that McQueen held his spot. He is truly awful. Refused to get involved last week.

Oliver Clark is high on effort but low on talent. I want to see a prop skittle blokes on a hitup in reserve grade before they get a call up, a bit like Russell Packer spear into defences. We can't afford having a bloke on such a big contract not playing. It is a huge waste. He was awesome last year before he did his knee.

We're only ever going to finish 9-12 on the ladder with Benji and Farah still in the side. They couldnt guide us to the top 8 last year and are one year older.

Tiger Ted

Bench
News tonight says Kikau now looks likely to play. He'll be running at Benji all night which is a scary prospect. Benji is not very keen on tackling these days.

Maloney also playing which is good for WT. He's not combining at all well with Maloney right now.

Cannot believe that McQueen held his spot. He is truly awful. Refused to get involved last week.

Oliver Clark is high on effort but low on talent. I want to see a prop skittle blokes on a hitup in reserve grade before they get a call up, a bit like Russell Packer spear into defences. We can't afford having a bloke on such a big contract not playing. It is a huge waste. He was awesome last year before he did his knee.

We're only ever going to finish 9-12 on the ladder with Benji and Farah still in the side. They couldnt guide us to the top 8 last year and are one year older.
Agree with u re Benji & Farah but it’s widely recognised & acknowledged by Brooks himself that it’s Brooks’s team !

Vic Mackey

Referee
We really need this win. We’re currently 4-4. After this week we go:

Storm away
Souths away
Raiders home
Cowboys away
Souths home
Roosters home

We could seriously lose all of those, however I’d back us to nab 2. If we were 7-8 after that period We’d be in a good position to make the semis with only 1 of the remaining 9 games against a top 4 side.

The unknown

Juniors
We really need this win. We’re currently 4-4. After this week we go:

Storm away
Souths away
Raiders home
Cowboys away
Souths home
Roosters home

We could seriously lose all of those, however I’d back us to nab 2. If we were 7-8 after that period We’d be in a good position to make the semis with only 1 of the remaining 9 games against a top 4 side.

I'd back us to beat storm, honestly they're busted atm. Sharks beat them with half their squad out. And they should've lost to the warriors

I haven't seen them in this big of a hole in quite a while.

The rest I can't see us beating but hopefully we can fluke 1 or 2

Vic Mackey

Referee
I'd back us to beat storm, honestly they're busted atm. Sharks beat them with half their squad out. And they should've lost to the warriors

I haven't seen them in this big of a hole in quite a while.

The rest I can't see us beating but hopefully we can fluke 1 or 2

There’s a couple silver linings

Raiders have Bateman, Leluia and Rapana our fairly long term

The second Souths game is 4 days after origin2 so Bennett may rest a couple

The roosters will be without their Origin players in round 16

Tiger05

First Grade
Agree with u re Benji & Farah but it’s widely recognised & acknowledged by Brooks himself that it’s Brooks’s team !

The Brooks team comment is moronic. We just need Brooks to run the ball, create some opportunities and put in some good 5th tackle options. He has basically been doing that.

We need everyone playing well and not doing dumb stuff.

Tiger Ted

Bench
The Brooks team comment is moronic. We just need Brooks to run the ball, create some opportunities and put in some good 5th tackle options. He has basically been doing that.

We need everyone playing well and not doing dumb stuff.
Ur kidding if u believe he is doing his overall job as an organiser competently.Apart from running the ball which is his only strength he abjectly fails in the fundamental attributes of a game manager.His kicking & passing games r appalling.

Brooks is supposed to b the game manager.This is an undeniable fact.He acknowledged the fact it’s his team during the off-season.Problem is he isn’t a game managers rear end.Its up to the coaching staff to identify players abilities & weaknesses & hence as in Brooks’s case not try insert a square peg into a round hole.

Amongst numerous problems this squad has we primarily need a half or 5/8 with the rugby league IQ to steer the team otherwise we will continue to make up the numbers.

Spot on Tiger Ted.

I might add though that his defence has improved so that’s another positive. 2 out of how many game management and all round skill attributes?

Tiger 05, you said ET is great defensively.

He is an old style round the bottom of the legs tackler which is good but he gets into the wrestle too much in such a way that he is penalised too often in defence.

Farah is good at wrapping the ball and player up so different types but in the modern game wrapping the ball up and holding the player up in the wrestle, is more important.

Tiger05

First Grade
Farah gets run over all the time and it allows a quick play the ball. ET is 100 times the defender that Robbie is. He wins the wrestle a lot.

I can understand the comments regarding Brooks game. All too often he doesn't come up with the right play at the right time. To me the idea of having a quality game manager ala Cameron Smith or Peter Sterling or Wally Lewis is really really rare. Look at Nathan Cleary. Yeah his kicking game and defence are both great but his game management isn't really good. Same as Maloney. Maloney is a great creative half. He is probably the best in the comp but he still has heaps of flaws.

I'm okay with Brooks based on not trying to expect him to do too much. His running game and defence is great. He can put a good long and short kick in. I think he should just worry about his game and not try and control the team.

There aren't a lot of quality halves in the comp. Cronk logs okay at best at the moment. He is just playing in a gun team. I watched Munster recently and he did nothing.

The unknown

Juniors
Kikau back after what looked like he tore an ACL last week..yippee.

Everyone makes a miraculous recovery when they play the WT the next game.

Tiger05

First Grade
Ur kidding if u believe he is doing his overall job as an organiser competently.Apart from running the ball which is his only strength he abjectly fails in the fundamental attributes of a game manager.His kicking & passing games r appalling.

Brooks is supposed to b the game manager.This is an undeniable fact.He acknowledged the fact it’s his team during the off-season.Problem is he isn’t a game managers rear end.Its up to the coaching staff to identify players abilities & weaknesses & hence as in Brooks’s case not try insert a square peg into a round hole.

Amongst numerous problems this squad has we primarily need a half or 5/8 with the rugby league IQ to steer the team otherwise we will continue to make up the numbers.

https://www.weststigers.com.au/news/2019/05/10/maguire-speaks-about-boost-of-marshall-inclusion/

Madge seems to like Brooks.

"[Luke] Brooks is really starting to get a hold of his game now.

"I've been really pleased with the way he's grown through this period but it’s on again now and he’s got to turn up and do the things he’s been doing for the team.

Tiger Ted

Bench
I’m not so sure that’s what Maguire actually thinks but if he does then Brooks is very fortunate coz the coach has obviously set the bar very low re what’s expected of the dud halfback.

Irrespective of what Madge says he obviously needs to embellish comments to media about the team when ur in such a horrendous predicament re the crap roster @ Concord.

The unknown

Juniors
I’m not so sure that’s what Maguire actually thinks but if he does then Brooks is very fortunate coz the coach has obviously set the bar very low re what’s expected of the dud halfback.

Irrespective of what Madge says he obviously needs to embellish comments to media about the team when ur in such a horrendous predicament re the crap roster @ Concord.

Agree. No coach publically blasts their players but I doubt Madge is happy with Brooks form. Behind closed doors I'm sure it's a different story