What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 10 vs Knights...

Slippery Morris

First Grade
The JDB case should have added more motivation to win for him after what he went through, you would think but obviously it didn't. It is going to be a long year and possible 2 more long years to follow.

Probably the worst performance I have seen since Price left.

Overseas dragon

Juniors
With due respect, it isn't that hard to put your finger on why we are tanking.
I say it is just a continuation of incompetence that has plagued our club over the last 5 years.
McGregor will tell you it is the absence of JDB, Widdop's injury and a myriad of other excuses that he thinks up before each weekend.
The JDB issue should not have even been considered.
Pick the team and personnel that you are sure will be available.
Stop all the empathy and false loyalty hoping that one player will make a remarkable and triumphant return to FG and save your bacon.
Far too much focus and discussion internally and externally about the JBD case - especially considering the seriousness of the legal action in progress.
McGregor's job is to get the team up every week and to compete to the bitter end.
Capitulations like today are common place with McGregor as coach and for that reason alone, he should be shown the door.
These big losses and surrender of big leads is demoralizing for the players and decimates their confidence.
when you compare MCJETSKI with a first class coach like wayne bennett or craig bellamy well the leyland p76 just ran out of petrol and the ferrari and the rolls royce are in cruise mode time for a trade in .only problem is you wont get a good trade in for the p76......................... 1960 i think it was a movie by the name of THE SWORD AND THE DRAGON HAS A FAMILIAR RING TO IT ..........

Last edited:
Was out visiting a relative in hospital.

Saw the score afterwards and have now watched the replace.

Zero intensity from the kick off.

The forwards have gone missing.

Our average backline is exposed without strong go forward.

The lack of focus and motivation is squarely on Mary’s head.

Newcastle had good go forward and Ponga is a gun.

Very hard to fathom what is going on with our team.

They seemed like a team that had been out drinking the night before.

Yes we are missing Norman, Widdop, JDB and Tariq Sims is playing busted.

So what.

Zero excuse. Team lacked spirit and determination.

Piss poor on the part of coaching staff and players alike.

Memo to the Board:

Sack this imposter immediately, then collectively resign for the good of our club.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Looking at how pathetic our defence up the middle has become, one realises how much we are missing Debelin....it was glaringly obvious particularly again today....having said that thats a given now and its very likely that he wont be wearing our jersey for quite a long time......taking into consideration the loss of Widdop and now Norman our spine is now absolutely spineless.....Dufty has not developed his game and except for 1 or two 2 touches of individual brilliance is struggling to be consistent. ..even though he gets ragged doll a lot I cant really find his size an excuse for his inconsistent performances...in the past there has been several fullbacks that wernt overly big but still managed to use their size to their advantage ....young Field at 5/8 tries very hard but is very green and understandibly has a long way to go before he becomes a threat to the opposition.....McInnes leads from the front with his defense but is found wanting with his sharpness from dummy half...this leaves Hunt and although he tries hard is very much a confidence player and becomes inaffective when things dont go our way......on top of all this we have a coach that imo has lost the dressing room.....yes we have suspensions and injuries but so do other clubs.....one doesnt have to be a Rhodes scholar just a supporter to see that some of our players are just going through the motions as a team and are not dedicated or passionate enough to fully committ themseves to the Red V.
Imo we will never win a premiership under this coach and therefore the most honourable thing he can do is quit now

sa1nt5

Juniors
Looking at how pathetic our defence up the middle has become, one realises how much we are missing Debelin....it was glaringly obvious particularly again today....having said that thats a given now and its very likely that he wont be wearing our jersey for quite a long time......taking into consideration the loss of Widdop and now Norman our spine is now absolutely spineless.....Dufty has not developed his game and except for 1 or two 2 touches of individual brilliance is struggling to be consistent. ..even though he gets ragged doll a lot I cant really find his size an excuse for his inconsistent performances...in the past there has been several fullbacks that wernt overly big but still managed to use their size to their advantage ....young Field at 5/8 tries very hard but is very green and understandably has a long way to go before he becomes a threat to the opposition.....McInnes leads from the front with his defense but is found wanting with his sharpness from dummy half...this leaves Hunt and although he tries hard is very much a confidence player and becomes inaffective when things dont go our way......on top of all this we have a coach that imo has lost the dressing room.....yes we have suspensions and injuries but so do other clubs.....one doesnt have to be a Rhodes scholar just a supporter to see that some of our players are just going through the motions as a team and are not dedicated or passionate enough to fully committ themseves to the Red V.
Imo we will never win a premiership under this coach and therefore the most honourable thing he can do is quit now
Yes true Ewan McGrady, Kevin Walters and Preston Campbell are 3 that come straight to mind I have to add to the above that swapping positions for Hunt and McInness is not the worst thing mary could do Paul Green once decided to play Asiata at 5/8

kit66

Bench
I think the JDB debacle has weighed heavily on the boys. I'm sure they were hopeful of a better outcome last Friday and were looking forward to JDB being back on the paddock. Wasn't to be and now they know they'll be light on in the forwards for quite some time.
There was no intensity today, no composure at all, no direction. I've rarely seen them so flat.
We can only hope that with K.Sims and later Norman back and perhaps a new forward's signing the boys can pick themselves up and turn their season around.
Chin up boys, better days ahead.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Yes true Ewan McGrady, Kevin Walters and Preston Campbell are 3 that come straight to mind I have to add to the above that swapping positions for Hunt and McInness is not the worst thing mary could do Paul Green once decided to play Asiata at 5/8
Another was Brett Hodgson very light and smallish but was very effective....even played Origin for NSW

getsmarty

Immortal
NRL 2019: Underperforming Dragons face selection chop after Knights thumping
Dragons Den
r0_0_3768_2436_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

NOT HAPPY: Paul McGregor looks set to wield the selection axe this week. Picture: NRL Photos

ST GEORGE Illawarra coach Paul McGregor is set to wield the selection axe after his side was hammered 45-12 by Newcastle in Mudgee on Sunday..

The Dragons trailed 14-0 after as many minutes, and 28-0 at the break on the back of a double from Kayln Ponga. Tim Glasby and Kurt Mann also grabbed four-pointers in the best half of football the Knights have produced this season.

Young-gun Zac Lomax put the restart after Ponga's first try kickoff dead on the full in a forgettable opening stanza for the Dragons.

The loss is their fourth on the trot and bucked a recent trend of strong starts and late-game fades, with the Knights on top from start to finish.

It takes the Dragons season tally to 4-6 and a clearly frustrated McGregor said a selection shake-up will likely be on the cards ahead of next Sunday's clash with Cronulla in Wollongong.

"I think in the first 40 we didn't show any resilience in defending errors or penalties, which is highly disappointing," McGregor said.

"We went into the half 28-0 down. We came out in the second half and it was 15-12 but it's nowhere near good enough. We've got to have a real good look at why.

"Up until today our first 40 minutes is [that of a] top four side and our last 40 minutes is a bottom four side. That's just way too inconsistent from this team.

"I think a couple of our leads in the last month have covered up our 80-minute performances. We had some comfortable leads the last two weeks and we had a good second half against the Roosters [in round seven] but today put a full stop to that.

"We can use experience missing on the sideline [as an excuse], we can use the learning that we're getting at the moment, but the same people are making the same errors or poor reads on a weekly basis so it might be time for change.

"When there's a lot of people missing with experience you can get comfortable, I'm not saying that's the case at the minute.

"It's disappointing if it is, but we're halfway through the year and if we're still making the same errors and giving away the same penalties and the same people are doing it, they're obviously not listening."

It also came in the wake of star lock Jack de Belin's failed federal court bid to return from a no-fault stand-down imposed by the NRL, leaving them without the NSW Origin star for the remainder of the season.

McGregor didn't attribute the performance to that decision but conceded it may have been a distraction on some level.

"I hope that didn't have an effect on the performance today, some will say it may have because Jack's a very well-liked and important person in our football team," McGregor said.

"To be totally honest we all expected him to be available today but he wasn't and we had to move on pretty quick from that.

"There's feeling there, there's emotion there for sure. Whether that played a role in today's performance or in my build-up subconsciously I'm not sure.

"I spoke to Jack, his next move we're not sure of so I can't comment much more than that until we get back home and have a sit down and a chat.

"He's a big part of our lives but he wasn't there today, there were 17 players and coaching staff who didn't do what they needed to do."

The club has indicated it will seek to shift de Belin's contract money off its salary cap while he remains stood down. Trent Merrin has been linked to a return to his former club but McGregor said he's yet to consider any options.

"I haven't but Ian Millward who looks after our recruitment and cap has been working hard over it for quite some time over different alternatives," McGregor said.

"I didn't want to talk about anything until next week because I wanted to focus on today and obviously get over the disappointment of the Jack de Belin decision.

"It's extremely disappointing. He's a part of our club and a part of our team. He's got the presumption of innocence until he gets his opportunity in court, which he's not getting anywhere else at the moment."

Korbin Sims will return from a broken arm for next week's clash with the Sharks while Corey Norman is also a chance of making an early return from a fractured cheekbone, though a return after the round 11 bye appears more likely.

If the first 40 minutes was disappointing, the Dragons showed little resistance in the second, with Shaun Kenny-Dowall crossing three minutes after the resumption and Mitchell Pearce following up nine minutes later.

Ponga's teammates seemed the only ones capable of stopping their star No. 1, with Lachlan Fitzgibbon denying him his hat-trick with a tug on Tyson Frizell's jersey in the lead-up to what looked like his third four-pointer.

Tariq Sims finally opened his side's account against a 12-man defensive line after Kurt Mann was sent to the sin-bin after seven straight penalties midway through the second half.

Lomax made it back to back tries for his side four minutes later but Connor Watson's 71st minute try retook momentum for the Knights, with Pearce putting a one-point exclamation point on the win a minute from time.

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...election-chop-after-knights-thumping/?cs=3713

Overseas dragon

Juniors
Dragons Den

NOT HAPPY: Paul McGregor looks set to wield the selection axe this week. Picture: NRL Photos

ST GEORGE Illawarra coach Paul McGregor is set to wield the selection axe after his side was hammered 45-12 by Newcastle in Mudgee on Sunday..

The Dragons trailed 14-0 after as many minutes, and 28-0 at the break on the back of a double from Kayln Ponga. Tim Glasby and Kurt Mann also grabbed four-pointers in the best half of football the Knights have produced this season.

Young-gun Zac Lomax put the restart after Ponga's first try kickoff dead on the full in a forgettable opening stanza for the Dragons.

The loss is their fourth on the trot and bucked a recent trend of strong starts and late-game fades, with the Knights on top from start to finish.

It takes the Dragons season tally to 4-6 and a clearly frustrated McGregor said a selection shake-up will likely be on the cards ahead of next Sunday's clash with Cronulla in Wollongong.

"I think in the first 40 we didn't show any resilience in defending errors or penalties, which is highly disappointing," McGregor said.

"We went into the half 28-0 down. We came out in the second half and it was 15-12 but it's nowhere near good enough. We've got to have a real good look at why.

"Up until today our first 40 minutes is [that of a] top four side and our last 40 minutes is a bottom four side. That's just way too inconsistent from this team.

"I think a couple of our leads in the last month have covered up our 80-minute performances. We had some comfortable leads the last two weeks and we had a good second half against the Roosters [in round seven] but today put a full stop to that.

"We can use experience missing on the sideline [as an excuse], we can use the learning that we're getting at the moment, but the same people are making the same errors or poor reads on a weekly basis so it might be time for change.

"When there's a lot of people missing with experience you can get comfortable, I'm not saying that's the case at the minute.

"It's disappointing if it is, but we're halfway through the year and if we're still making the same errors and giving away the same penalties and the same people are doing it, they're obviously not listening."

It also came in the wake of star lock Jack de Belin's failed federal court bid to return from a no-fault stand-down imposed by the NRL, leaving them without the NSW Origin star for the remainder of the season.

McGregor didn't attribute the performance to that decision but conceded it may have been a distraction on some level.

"I hope that didn't have an effect on the performance today, some will say it may have because Jack's a very well-liked and important person in our football team," McGregor said.

"To be totally honest we all expected him to be available today but he wasn't and we had to move on pretty quick from that.

"There's feeling there, there's emotion there for sure. Whether that played a role in today's performance or in my build-up subconsciously I'm not sure.

"I spoke to Jack, his next move we're not sure of so I can't comment much more than that until we get back home and have a sit down and a chat.

"He's a big part of our lives but he wasn't there today, there were 17 players and coaching staff who didn't do what they needed to do."

The club has indicated it will seek to shift de Belin's contract money off its salary cap while he remains stood down. Trent Merrin has been linked to a return to his former club but McGregor said he's yet to consider any options.

"I haven't but Ian Millward who looks after our recruitment and cap has been working hard over it for quite some time over different alternatives," McGregor said.

"I didn't want to talk about anything until next week because I wanted to focus on today and obviously get over the disappointment of the Jack de Belin decision.

"It's extremely disappointing. He's a part of our club and a part of our team. He's got the presumption of innocence until he gets his opportunity in court, which he's not getting anywhere else at the moment."

Korbin Sims will return from a broken arm for next week's clash with the Sharks while Corey Norman is also a chance of making an early return from a fractured cheekbone, though a return after the round 11 bye appears more likely.

If the first 40 minutes was disappointing, the Dragons showed little resistance in the second, with Shaun Kenny-Dowall crossing three minutes after the resumption and Mitchell Pearce following up nine minutes later.

Ponga's teammates seemed the only ones capable of stopping their star No. 1, with Lachlan Fitzgibbon denying him his hat-trick with a tug on Tyson Frizell's jersey in the lead-up to what looked like his third four-pointer.

Tariq Sims finally opened his side's account against a 12-man defensive line after Kurt Mann was sent to the sin-bin after seven straight penalties midway through the second half.

Lomax made it back to back tries for his side four minutes later but Connor Watson's 71st minute try retook momentum for the Knights, with Pearce putting a one-point exclamation point on the win a minute from time.

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...election-chop-after-knights-thumping/?cs=3713
UNDERPERFORMING DRAGONS COACH FACES THE CHOP AFTER A LIFETIME OF OPPORTUNITIES ,AND NO SIGN OF ANY COACHING ABILITY

possm

Coach
For crying out loud!
I'm sorry but it has to be said.
What an absolute disgrace.
There's no other club in the competition that gets drubbed with such monotonous regularity as St George Illawarra.
Doesn't the club's proud heritage and colours mean anything?
All the talk during the week.... These people don't understand the weight of the words they utter. The whole club needs to take a long hard look in the mirror. It's not so much an issue of talent as it's an issue of attitude, spirit, heart!
There is no inspiration or on-field leadership. It seems there is no game manager or anyone calling the shots.

Lomax for Dufty, Pearson in for Ravalawa, Timm in for Graham, Kerr on the bench, Robson in for McInnes and Mc Innes into lock. Drop Aitken and bring Maranta into right centre.

I am very worried about the form of T Sims and Frizell. They both look to be playing injured to me.

jeffdragon

Bench
Come on JD...seriously?
Did you listen to the press conference?
Just a few of the gems:
** "We are playing like a top 4 side in the first half and as a bottom 4 side in the second half...until today which put a full stop to that"
After a journo asked him did he think that some players were too comfortable? "Some of the new blokes could be getting comfortable because there is no experience out there".
He mentioned injuries and the absence of experienced players as one of the major problems.
He also went to great lengths to say that JDB was a big part of our club and that he expected him to play today. Why would he expect that and not prepare as if he wouldn't be there?

Every club has injuries and other issues to deal with.
The good coaches still find ways to win.
Best example is Manly under Hasler today.
Missing Tommy Turbo, DCE and Lachlan Croker and not only competed but beat a pretty solid Cronulla side.
Look at the discipline, commitment in defence and especially Hasler's selections and use of the bench compared to ours.
That does not have a lot to do with the players.

Wasn't brownie in trouble at 1-5 a month ago.
Players make the mistakes .
Hunt Kicking out on three occasions .
Lomax kicking out on the full dropping the ball .
They are all accountable.

hazzbeen

Bench
This has been happening for 5 years...When will the coach be held accountable ?
Right on its been like this for ever , they have a few wins then everything is forgotten . I am going back again to last year that had we lost to the Broncos , the year would have been a disaster , but they won that game to the shock of all of us Plus the coach , that had no idea why .... This Club has continued to spiral out of control since we won in 2010 ..... Nothing will change until the place is flushed out and outsiders come in .... Sad sad situation ....

Datramp

Juniors
Dragons Den

Coach not good at math? 28+15 =43? Didn't knights score 45?