What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Myth of Millward

Brutalitops

Juniors
Ian Millward got the job purely because his father is Bob Millward - Illawarra old boy boss'.

For 2019, outside backs such as Ferguson, the Morris Brothers, Oates, R Jennings and many others of quality, were up for grabs. Millward went for Rava, Pearson, Maranta and Runciman. Millward described these signings as very good signings while at the same time letting Macdonald and Herbert go and telling Garrick and Johns they were not needed.

The latest rumour of Robson being signed by NQ is the mother of all stuff ups. I consider him to be a solid rival to McInnes. I'd say one day soon Robson would have been our first choice and long term hooker.

SGI is in a real MESS, a Millward MESS!
jw7ndgju_1oxlvmp_ndjtev.png

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Yeah sure, so a way for Millward to gain credibility is to offer one of the top 4 hookers in the competition and current captain who bleeds for our club to another club that he doesn't want to go to, just to keep an exciting yet unproven kid who wants to leave?

You're off your chops

If it’s not obvious to you that Robson is already a superior hooker to McInnes, then it’s you who is off ya chops.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Of course I wanna know your thoughts
My thoughts right now are:
- do I start watching the new season of Wentworth or should I record it to binge later?
- was dinner satisfying or should I get myself a snack?
- where are my pants?
- why can’t it be state of origin tomorrow?

My thoughts right now are:
- do I start watching the new season of Wentworth or should I record it to binge later?
- was dinner satisfying or should I get myself a snack?
- where are my pants?
- why can’t it be state of origin tomorrow?
Oh shit we don’t always think alike f**k state of origin lol but definitely binge and for sure of the snacks

possm

Coach
Possm, Dragonsamy has mentioned on a couple of occasions that Mary has first and last say on who is recruited. Millwards job is to secure the targets not select them.
If that is the case, why the change heralded by Doust in which he likened Millwards new role to be different to the past and the same system as used in the NFL. The whole justification was to insulate decisions from the head coach.

The real problem is that Millward would love to take the praise for a good signing but deflect the noise around bad signings. No one at SGI is accountable and no one at SGI takes responsibility for mistakes or bad decisions.

Dragonsamy is entitled to his opinion however, I doubt very much he is as close to the real goings on at SGI as implied. Any leaks that come his way may just be spin.

ebbedfred

Bench
Peter Mulholland was considered by many to be one of the best recruitment guys around, but I think Millward has done a much better job. There are still holes in our team, primarily the wingers and fullback, but as others have said we certainly don’t have the worse team on paper, just the worst coach to develop them.

I wonder if Millward is judged more harshly because he’s an “Illawarra old boy”? His coaching resume is 10 times that of Mary and achieved this nowhere near the Illawarra.

possm

Coach
No, I'm comparing the blokes nominally charge of recruiting. Its not apples vs oranges its comparing the people ultimately responsible for recruiting.

You on the other hand seem to equate anything Millward does as an epic fail irrespective of any evidence. Who do you think has done a better recruiting job since the Bennett era?
No one has done a better job than Bennett. In fact, Doust forced Bennett to do a lessor job than what he could have done by reducing the term of employment requested by Bennett from 5 years to 3. If Bennett was given the extra two years, he would have ensured his roster was renewed and balanced after winning the competition in 2010.

Carlton

Juniors
Indeed.. it could be either true, not true or even somewhere in between..

However when it comes to taking the word of a random unknown person from the internet about a third party matter, I tend to lean towards the untrue side of things..

Are you a random unknown party on the internet Muzby?

Would you take Mary's word for it?

possm

Coach
Peter Mulholland was considered by many to be one of the best recruitment guys around, but I think Millward has done a much better job. There are still holes in our team, primarily the wingers and fullback, but as others have said we certainly don’t have the worse team on paper, just the worst coach to develop them.

I wonder if Millward is judged more harshly because he’s an “Illawarra old boy”? His coaching resume is 10 times that of Mary and achieved this nowhere near the Illawarra.
Well you do point out some brilliant facts.
  1. At the time Mullholland was considered one of the best recruiters. he soon learned that he was to dance to the tune of Craig Young and Peter Doust who would have to be two of the worst SGI have ever had involved in recruiting.
  2. If we compared Canberra's roster in 2019 to ours - especially their backline - there is no comparison. Mullholland is doing a great job.
  3. Millward was appointed to his current position without any proper process being followed; he was just given the job.

Carlton

Juniors
If that is the case, why the change heralded by Doust in which he likened Millwards new role to be different to the past and the same system as used in the NFL. The whole justification was to insulate decisions from the head coach.

The real problem is that Millward would love to take the praise for a good signing but deflect the noise around bad signings. No one at SGI is accountable and no one at SGI takes responsibility for mistakes or bad decisions.

Dragonsamy is entitled to his opinion however, I doubt very much he is as close to the real goings on at SGI as implied. Any leaks that come his way may just be spin.

Possm you have got to get over Millward he is not the problem and he is not the answer. Do you really believe anything the King of Spin said? There is nothing about our system that resembles the NFL. They have a draft for players, they have not just the 50 odd players in the NFL but also a myriad of players not in the top squad, the clubs can trade players and coaches are sacked at anytime, that is why recruitment is separated from the coaching. And even then the coach still has input to the type of player he wants.

Mary himself has indicated that Millward gets the players Mary wants. If this wasn't the case Mary would have used it as an excuse by now. Instead he has the squad he wanted.

possm

Coach
Possm you have got to get over Millward he is not the problem and he is not the answer. Do you really believe anything the King of Spin said? There is nothing about our system that resembles the NFL. They have a draft for players, they have not just the 50 odd players in the NFL but also a myriad of players not in the top squad, the clubs can trade players and coaches are sacked at anytime, that is why recruitment is separated from the coaching. And even then the coach still has input to the type of player he wants.

Mary himself has indicated that Millward gets the players Mary wants. If this wasn't the case Mary would have used it as an excuse by now. Instead he has the squad he wanted.
I appreciate your point of view and yes our structure is nowhere near the same as that in the NFL however, that was SGI's excuse for the appointment of Millward. Our recruitment system was also reported as being the barrier to appointing a new head coach.

So, let's get back to the recruitment of players for the 2019 season. Are you really saying that Mary wanted Rava, Pearson, Maranta and Runciman ahead of the Morris Brothers, Ferguson, Oates, Jennings etc?

I accept the price difference but this surely points to the lack of understanding of the like for like concept and the mistake in signing Aitken and Lafai long term.

I assume the fact that we have the worst backline in the competition this season is not contested.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
No one has done a better job than Bennett. In fact, Doust forced Bennett to do a lessor job than what he could have done by reducing the term of employment requested by Bennett from 5 years to 3. If Bennett was given the extra two years, he would have ensured his roster was renewed and balanced after winning the competition in 2010.

No argument there. Bennett brought with him or bought in guys who he knew could do what he needed. But since then, who has done a better recruitment job at StGI than Millward?

Your focus on Millward is just deflecting away from where the real problems are - McGregor, Doust and Young. Yes you can argue Millward was put into his position without fair and due process, but that doesn't mean he is not doing a good job.

possm

Coach
No argument there. Bennett brought with him or bought in guys who he knew could do what he needed. But since then, who has done a better recruitment job at StGI than Millward?

Your focus on Millward is just deflecting away from where the real problems are - McGregor, Doust and Young. Yes you can argue Millward was put into his position without fair and due process, but that doesn't mean he is not doing a good job.
After Bennett came Craig Young who would have to go down in the history of SGI as being the worst we have ever had. When Mullholland was appointed he came with the reputation of being one of the best in the game. What Mullholland was not prepared for was the 'old boys club' mentality and how Doust and Young would impose their view on his job. He left the Dragons very frustrated and I imagine grabbed firmly onto the first opportunity that presented itself. To make it short, Mullholland was not given the opportunity to do his job properly at SGI.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Robson showed yesterday that he very well could be our replacement for JDB while at the same time switching with McInnes for certain plays or rest periods during a game.

McInnes is a workhorse in defence and a solid hooker and I believe would benefit greatly working with Robson in rotation between lock and hooker.

Yes- this could happen by default, because of the NRL's incompetence in not factoring the difficulty SGI will have in getting a suitable replacement for De Belin by 30 June. Merrin is reported to have shut down speculation of a return to SGI but, as things stand, what can SGI offer him or anyone else for that matter?. A short-term, vague, indeterminate contract- with an end date depending on a court process- hardly likely to induce a player with a 4 year contract to ask for a release!.

If Johnston had some kahunas, he would be publicly criticising the mess that the NRL's action has created for the Dragons ( and more importantly their long-suffering members and supporters). He would be demanding that we be allowed to sign a 31st player (ie in addition to De Belin) on a minimum of a two year (preferably three year) contract and that if De Belin is found innocent and returns to playing, SGI be allowed to register the 31st player for the duration of that 2/3 year contract irrespective of any deal that is done with De Belin. This is the only way we can be competitive with other clubs and attract the right type of player.

Compensation is a separate but more complex issue which Johnston should also be pursuing-I'm not holding my breath.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Are you a random unknown party on the internet Muzby?

Would you take Mary's word for it?
I’m unknown to all except for a few..

And Mary isn’t on the forum, so that part is irrelevant.. We’re discussing the word of those on here..

That being said though.. I wouldn’t trust this face..

6dbfcc758405f81ae6981e232ddcc787

would you?

Old Timer

Coach

Millward's coaching resume is shit and so is a large % of the roster.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Bit of clarity surrounding Millward and his appointments at the Dragons.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2014/10/26/dragons-football-department-staff-announced/
26/10/2014, Paul McGregor appoints Ian Millward as assistant coach, he was also the coach of the Cutters at the time (replacing McGregor)

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2016/01/08/dragons-announce-key-staff-changes/
8/1/2016, Millward appointed Pathways director, JD replaced Millward as Cutters coach and David Warwick replaces Peter Mulholland as recruitment manager, Ben Haran the Executive Manager of football.

https://www.theleader.com.au/story/4389543/changes-for-the-dragons/
10/1/2017, David Warwick leaves the Dragons for West Tigers, Millward still at this time Driector of pathways but seems heavily involved in recruiting with the signings of Vaughan, McDonald, McInnes and Kerr (forget about Nona).

Some people may think I'm on the Millward bandwagon, but I am not. I believe he has done a fairly good job in recruiting players, but here have also been some questionable ones thrown in as well.

The most common denominator through all these articles etc, was/is McGregor as the Head Coach.