What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Players refusing to sing the National anthem in protest

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
What a load of rubbish

The word free is offensive because we have people in jail, which of course is everyone else's fault.
It's always interesting when people want to tell others what they can and can't take offence to.

Xcalibre

Juniors
It's always interesting when people want to tell others what they can and can't take offence to.

Springs wasn’t doing that if that’s what you were implying. Criticizing an opinion/perspective doesn’t equal what you said.

If that’s what the dude in the video says, I agree it’s a load of rubbish.

“Young and free” isn’t offensive, it’s just a phrase the critics have used as meaning something I really doubt it does. To me it means a young nation whose citizens are free. That’s common sense. If they want to believe it means something oppressive and/or ignorant, that’s their problem.

FWIW, I wouldn’t care less if they changed the date of Aus day. In fact it makes a lot more sense than this anthem bullshit.

AJB1102

First Grade
I don't know why he would stated that Walker didn't sing it because he didn't know the words, when it was made clear he didn't sing it because he was making a statement!

I believe it was a pretty obvious attempt at humour. You drew a pretty long bow to then accuse him of holding the disgustingly racist belief that Aboriginals are less intelligent.

I have no say over what others find offensive. I also have no obligation to give a f**k if they're offended or not and I am as entitled to say "bullshit" as they are to be offended.

SBD82

Coach
Well apparently it was the darkies not singing the national anthem's fault NSW lost.
Good grief. What an abhorrent take.

Nobody who knows anything about the media believes that. You’re creating an argument with fringe lunatics.

Mr Spock!

Referee
Good grief. What an abhorrent take.

Nobody who knows anything about the media believes that. You’re creating an argument with fringe lunatics.
Nope.

Been plenty saying the black guys should've been concentrating on the game instead of politics.

SBD82

Coach
Nope.

Been plenty saying the black guys should've been concentrating on the game instead of politics.
So they’re dumbmerkins. But I’d like to think they are a massive minority.

I’d rather focus on the support shown for our NSW indigenous players, instead of continue the bullshit narrative that only QLD pick indigenous players.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Springs wasn’t doing that if that’s what you were implying. Criticizing an opinion/perspective doesn’t equal what you said.

If that’s what the dude in the video says, I agree it’s a load of rubbish.

“Young and free” isn’t offensive, it’s just a phrase the critics have used as meaning something I really doubt it does. To me it means a young nation whose citizens are free. That’s common sense. If they want to believe it means something oppressive and/or ignorant, that’s their problem.

FWIW, I wouldn’t care less if they changed the date of Aus day. In fact it makes a lot more sense than this anthem bullshit.
Even if Springs wasn't doing it - you just did - trying to dictate whether young and free washes with how Indigenous people view things.

They're entitled to disagree with it as much as you are entitled to be ok with it. It's not your call to dictate whether it offends them though.

And if you watch the Briggs video posted earlier in the thread, they make it clear why it's not their bag.

Showtime

Juniors

Sounds like the answer is "all of it"

- Yes Briggs, there’s a reason why every child in youth detention in the Northern Territory is Indigenous.... it’s because they commit the majority of crimes in the NT especially property related and domestic violence. How would you like this to change? Just ignore their offending because they’re Indigenous children?? People are leaving the NT in droves because of property crime and the courts weak sentencing.

- Ok, so 1/10 are financially secure. Is that because a lot of Indigenous people piss their money away on alcohol, smokes and gambling. You drive around any community on the outskirts of Alice Springs during winter and you’ll see young children, freezing in soiled clothes or in their school uniform they’ve worn for 2 months straight while their parents sink VB or Chardonnay. These kids basically fend for themselves after the age of 3. What about the 35 billion provided to the Indigenous each year, free housing destroyed in communities, free legal, free medical and so on....royalties from mines come in regularly as well as Centrelink money.

Like I said previously, people like Briggs care more for changing the anthem then caring for Indigenous women and children who will be subject to more violence and see more in the first 10 years of their life than any of us will see in our lifetime.

firechild

First Grade
White people should just pack up and go back to Europe. We'll leave Australia to the indigenous people for the next 5 minutes until the Chinese come over and leave them with less than they have now. See how free they are then.