What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Its a good design, but was hoping for bigger capacity. I thought that was the originally plan but perhaps it wouldve cost too much.

The sections behind the goal posts look steeper than the old SFS.

Bigger only makes sense if you were getting rid of ANZ stadium, or making ANZ stadium a 40k capacity ground.

Suitman

Post Whore
Does the rake look improved to you? Looks pretty similar

Yeh, I think it does. Not quite as steep as Bankwest though.

As Timbo stated, the lower bowl is certainly steeper.
In that DA document I posted, I saw some outlines of the building envelope compared to the previous stadium. This one will be much larger and far more visible.

Anyway, here's another pic from the document. I love the outdoor areas for the eastern upper deck.
Right click for full size.

New-SFS-1.jpg

Yeh, I think it does. Not quite as steep as Bankwest though.

As Timbo stated, the lower bowl is certainly steeper.
In that DA document I posted, I saw some outlines of the building envelope compared to the previous stadium. This one will be much larger and far more visible.

Anyway, here's another pic from the document. I love the outdoor areas for the eastern upper deck.
Right click for full size.

New-SFS-1.jpg

The outdoor areas look good but that’s the SCG trust gold plating that drives up the cost to $730m. For what is essentially a club stadium it’s a bit much in my view.

Sydney would’ve been better off putting all the bells & whistles into our main stadium.

Suitman

Post Whore
The outdoor areas look good but that’s the SCG trust gold plating that drives up the cost to $730m. For what is essentially a club stadium it’s a bit much in my view.

Sydney would’ve been better off putting all the bells & whistles into our main stadium.

Oh, I absolutely agree.

Timbo

Staff member
I guess it's not our main stadium, but it will be the main stadium for the Wallabies and Socceroos in all likelyhood. I understand why they'd want to deluxe corporate facilities, and why the trust would want those options available for concerts and the like.

To be fair, I think it'll be there and Bankwest where the Kangaroos play moving forward.

So. I did some mad digging and found what the sharks upgrade may look like.
to me, its a whole lot of fluffn about for not much.

some extra seating either side of the ET, a new entrance and a big gym...
the seats aren't undercover

lol

upload_2019-6-20_15-3-52.png

Attachments

• SHA1JPG.JPG
    SHA1JPG.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 16
I guess it's not our main stadium, but it will be the main stadium for the Wallabies and Socceroos in all likelyhood. I understand why they'd want to deluxe corporate facilities, and why the trust would want those options available for concerts and the like.

To be fair, I think it'll be there and Bankwest where the Kangaroos play moving forward.

Socceroos will be ANZ, they made a point of that during the last few years.

Plus the Wallabies is only one match, unless they move the Bledisloe.

Kangaroos don’t even play in Sydney anymore.

I understand why the trust wanted it, but from Sydney’s perspective it’s a bad deal. We should’ve had one stadium to rule them all, deluxe corporate facilities, a retractable roof, club mode etc.

Suitman

Post Whore

It might become the main stadium for the Wallabies but the Socceroos will continue to use ANZ as their base as they don't have too much trouble selling the place out for most big matches.
The Bloodyslow Cup is the Wallabies biggest fixture at ANZ and they struggle to get 50-60 000 there these days. Maybe that'll change when they become competitive again some day.

Timbo

Staff member
I think if the corporate facilities are there, the Bledesloe will go back to Moore Park.

Also, in the last five years the Socceroos have split their Sydney fixtures between Moore Park and Homebush, and have only played two matches that would have sold out the new SFS.

I think if the corporate facilities are there, the Bledesloe will go back to Moore Park.

Also, in the last five years the Socceroos have split their Sydney fixtures between Moore Park and Homebush, and have only played two matches that would have sold out the new SFS.

Well the FFA pushed hard for ANZ, was definitely their main priority. They need to spread their matches around more cities than Rugby does, so they can take smaller matches to Brisbane or Adelaide, and then the big matches to ANZ.

Remember as well, FFA & RA are cash strapped. Moore Park only allows them to sell 30k seats. If they can sell 10k more at ANZ I suspect they’ll take the money.

Would help improve the atmosphere, keep more noise in.

What’s in the building? The leagues club?

ok so if you have a look at the main doc is pages 29-35

https://majorprojects.planningporta...chRef=MP10_0230-MOD-6!20190605T041654.113 GMT

from what I can see, The building includes

* upgraded player facilities
*new chairmans lounge and corporate facilities
* new merch place and "hall of fame"
* Outdoor improvements beind the stadium where it looks like they are gobba have a walk of fame, food trucks etc
* a huge gym for the club/admin offices etc
*retail/corporate space....
it also seems to have 2 very small stands at ground level but then 3 levels of terraces for corporate types etc

ok so if you have a look at the main doc is pages 29-35

https://majorprojects.planningportal.nsw.gov.au/prweb/PRRestService/mp/01/getContent?AttachRef=MP10_0230-MOD-6!20190605T041654.113 GMT

from what I can see, The building includes

* upgraded player facilities
*new chairmans lounge and corporate facilities
* new merch place and "hall of fame"
* Outdoor improvements beind the stadium where it looks like they are gobba have a walk of fame, food trucks etc
* a huge gym for the club/admin offices etc
*retail/corporate space....
it also seems to have 2 very small stands at ground level but then 3 levels of terraces for corporate types etc

Might free up existing corporate facilities to be for ticket sales?

Even if the Bledisloe moved back to Moore Park, there’s not going to be many big corporate days at this stadium.

You’re looking at 2 rugby tests as the biggest things, then ANZAC day & one or two other sports dates.

More concerts already use ANZ, so I don’t see many of those.

I honestly think in 5-10 years time there’s going to be a lot of people asking questions about the spend on this stadium.

ANZ stadium by comparison will have

NRL GF
SOO
Touring EPL teams
Bigger concerts
Socceroos Vs Japan/Korea/big friendlies
Maybe Bledisloe Cup
Monster Truck

It’s too late now but it would’ve made so much sense to just have one great stadium, no matter where it was in Sydney.

Can’t believe we’re getting 3 new stadiums and not a single retractable roof.

TheEroticGamer

Juniors
The whole stadium will have questions asked about it in ten years. This state had an opportunity to build their own Optus Stadium with a retractable roof, configuration so club games aren't played with 60 thousand empty seats...but instead we throw 360 million to make an alright stadium ten minutes away and 800 million to make a 45k stadium which will only exit 'club mode' three times a year(Anzac day, Sydney FC VS wanderers and wallabies) maybe another game if Sydney FC host the grand final or the Roosters host a preliminary final against a local team. Three alright stadiums at the cost of one amazing stadium that would have cost 1.4bn. Quality over quantity.

Timbo

Staff member
Well the FFA pushed hard for ANZ, was definitely their main priority. They need to spread their matches around more cities than Rugby does, so they can take smaller matches to Brisbane or Adelaide, and then the big matches to ANZ.

Remember as well, FFA & RA are cash strapped. Moore Park only allows them to sell 30k seats. If they can sell 10k more at ANZ I suspect they’ll take the money.

I'll give you the FFA, but I still wouldn't be surprised if some matches are at Moore Park.

But 95% of rugby fans are in the Eastern Suburbs. They can make way more money on corporate boxes at Moore Park than they can at Homebush, the cashed-up union fans hate going out there.

I'll give you the FFA, but I still wouldn't be surprised if some matches are at Moore Park.

But 95% of rugby fans are in the Eastern Suburbs. They can make way more money on corporate boxes at Moore Park than they can at Homebush, the cashed-up union fans hate going out there.

Ultimately it is all about money, if they can make more money at Moore Park that’s where they’ll go.

One important factor would be the form of the Wallabies, if they can get back to winning Bledisloe cups then ANZ can possibly be sold out.

Latest posts