What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where now for Tonga?

Burns

First Grade
Its currently 28-4, and could blow out more in their long awaited rematch with New Zealand.

Tonga next play Great Britain in Hamilton, then Australia in Auckland. On today's performance they are likely to get well beaten in these matches.

Has the Tongan bubble burst?

Their fans seem to have drifted away. It was fairly muted today, and they got a crowd of 23,643 - well short of a sell out. Should they go on to lose to GB and Australia, well the fans stay?

Despite having over 40+ tackles in the NZ 20m zone, they scored one try from a kick. Clearly the lack of halves is a serious issue. But how can they address it? Who else could play?

This is clearly a snap reaction thread, but as the decision makers of International League seem to have thrown in their lot with Tonga - what if it collapses?

Arucard

Juniors
It’s their own doing. They’ve been given the matches they asked for. They just can’t compete. Australia smashed them last year, NZ doing the same now. They just can’t hang with the big boys yet.

Jim from Oz

Juniors
Well they just scored a very nice consolation try! :thumbsup:

But I think what they need above all are decent halves. The number six today was very very disappointing.

Jim from Oz

Juniors
And on another positive note, even though they are behind 34-10 the Tongan crowd is still incredibly enthusiastic

Burns

First Grade
It’s their own doing. They’ve been given the matches they asked for. They just can’t compete. Australia smashed them last year, NZ doing the same now. They just can’t hang with the big boys yet.
I wonder how they keep it up. In a few years, where could they be? Whats the potential? I wonder if they have peaked.

Burns

First Grade
Well huh.

Turns out the score will likely be much the same as when Tonga played Australia last year.

There you go, thats what you get for making threads early.

Jim from Oz

Juniors
Theybhad a few key players out today, Fifita, Jennings. Etc I wouldn’t write them off completely just yet. And they have two years to get ready for the World Cup in 2021.

Maybe I am being optimistic but with all the support behind them, and maybe a few more players coming through, they may still do very well in the World Cup

Burns

First Grade
Theybhad a few key players out today, Fifita, Jennings. Etc I wouldn’t write them off completely just yet. And they have two years to get ready for the World Cup in 2021.

Maybe I am being optimistic but with all the support behind them, and maybe a few more players coming through, they may still do very well in the World Cup
By virtue of their forward pack, they are the default number 4/5 team in the world.

Feels like the gap between the Big 3 and the rest got a bit larger again today.

Arucard

Juniors
By virtue of their forward pack, they are the default number 4/5 team in the world.

Feels like the gap between the Big 3 and the rest got a bit larger again today.
Unfortunately they’ve had 2 games against 1 of the big 3 and have been dominated in both now.
They’ve really gotta pick their game up against Australia and the Lions.

Matua

Bench
TBH, I expected this result. There were a number of factors contributing to their win over the Kiwis in the WC (remember Fiji also beat them) that had little to do with the Tongans themselves. The Kiwi pack matched their much hyped pack (Bromwich makes a big difference) and they couldn't capitalise on a lopsided penalty count and most of the 50/50 calls.

I think they're a team that if they get a roll on they will compete with anybody, but if you contain them like the Kiwis did then they're not creative enough to get over the line enough.

Arucard

Juniors

That’s the thing, they don’t really have anything developing outside of what they currently have.

I think Fiji are the big ones flying under the radar. The pathway is being set for them now with the new pro team being introduced to make sure they’ve got things always coming through to sustain success.

Clarkent

Juniors
I wouldn't over react to this loss tbh Tonga just needs halves.. They've got until now to the world Cup to produce one... Cause that's probably the worse halves pairing I've seen... This Tongan team is still strong... And how good was it to see benji back!

kiwileaguefan

Juniors
Add in Fifita and Hingano and Tonga are a different side. Remember against Australia Hingano went down injured early....and let's be honest, in the last 4 matched against the top three nations they have won one, lost three by no more than 20 points which is not a bad effort.

Tonga are like the kiwis 20nyears ago...good forward pack but lack depth in the spine.

The fact that they’re basically using Auckland as their home ground is fraught. Sooner or later the novelty will wear off (especially for kiwi fans) & it’s back to square one.

Shoulder Charge

Juniors
Add in Fifita and Hingano and Tonga are a different side. Remember against Australia Hingano went down injured early....and let's be honest, in the last 4 matched against the top three nations they have won one, lost three by no more than 20 points which is not a bad effort.

Tonga are like the kiwis 20nyears ago...good forward pack but lack depth in the spine.

That’s how I see it too, great forwards but just don’t have that spine yet, Fainu made a difference once out there but he’s needing others a 6 and 7 there with him.

Shoulder Charge

Juniors
Problem is deeper than the spine though - kiwis rolled them through the middle of the park.

3 fan days this week probably didn’t help them either :joy:

Lol true, I have always been against these fan days for MMT, the one they held on Monday at mt smart I thought was great get it out of the way early and focus on training. Then to find out they had another on Thursday and I think a day off Wednesday? This MMT camp this week didn’t sit well with me at all.

siv

First Grade
The main thing stopping Tonga Samoa or Fiji stepping up to be a true Tier 1 nation - is no halves

Clarkent

Juniors
The main thing stopping Tonga Samoa or Fiji stepping up to be a true Tier 1 nation - is no halves
Out of all 3 I think Samoa has decent halves in Milford, Luai, Tyrone May, CHT and Luai... They just need consistency... That's why I'm excited to see Milford and Chanel Harris Tavita tonight in the halves for Samoa... Chanel Harris Tavita was playing well for the warriors until Nikorima moved over to the warriors...

Matua

Bench
Out of all 3 I think Samoa has decent halves in Milford, Luai, Tyrone May, CHT and Luai... They just need consistency... That's why I'm excited to see Milford and Chanel Harris Tavita tonight in the halves for Samoa... Chanel Harris Tavita was playing well for the warriors until Nikorima moved over to the warriors...
How long do you think Milford and Harris-Tavita will stay with Samoa? Origin might come calling for Milford and Harris-Tavita likely has the Kiwis in his long term plan.