What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where now for Tonga?

roughyedspud

Coach
We,the poms, warned you that fat nige would bankrupt the RLIF....and that's how he'll do it...

A precedent has been set now,all the tier 2 nations should demand $2500 per man from now on...

adamkungl

Immortal
Is there an official list of tier 2 nations anywhere?

the last eligibility rules published on the RLIF website actually define tier 2 as full members who arent Aus NZ or England.
And tier 3 as just about everyone else. But there's no rule that does anything different for t3s so its merely academic

FWIW the bloke quoted in the NZ article up there is the Chair of the Tongan Advisory Council, and is in no way a Rugby League official.... so maybe take specifics about what players are paid and dealings with the NRL with a grain of salt

Matua

Bench
Well looks like the wheels are falling off:
https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/spo...ih6-vSzQFMPJqsAvv47TzmRVPC7LriERo0t62KosIScSs

Funny now they're blaming NZ and saying we're exploiting them.

The Chair of the Tonga Advisory Council says it's exploitation that Tongan fans continue to bring huge profits to New Zealand Rugby League while Tonga's National Rugby League walk away with nothing.

NZRL is in a dire state as it is why should they be helping out another country and their players? I hope NZRL does start prioritising and developing players that are dedicated to the black jersey.

looks like the warm fuzzy feelings are fading, wonder how it will be end of year if they get smashed by GB and the Kangaroos again.
Play the match in Tonga and keep all the profits yourself if you want to have a whinge.

I really really dislike Tonga now, they used to be one of my favourite teams.

Shoulder Charge

Juniors
Ah yes Mr Melino Maka pops his ugly head up again, here is a man who believes his opinion matters in tongan circles and I was just waiting for him to have his say on MMT, if I could offer a word of advice boys, it’s not to take this guys crap on board. He is known to stir things up in the Tongan government and political side of things for years now! I’m not surprised that he thinks he can help with relieving pressure from the TNRL in help finding a long term sponsor when the TNRL don’t have anything to do with him. Typical of my people though, when ever a good thing comes along people in power or think they have it want to be a part of it to be seen or to make money where they can.

adamkungl

Immortal
Play the match in Tonga and keep all the profits yourself if you want to have a whinge.

I really really dislike Tonga now, they used to be one of my favourite teams.

It would be interesting to see how the profits are split from this Oceanic Cup though. Who's backing it, the RLIF or the NRL? Who's making money out of it?

Matua

Bench
It would be interesting to see how the profits are split from this Oceanic Cup though. Who's backing it, the RLIF or the NRL? Who's making money out of it?
Oh don't get me wrong, I'm all for all parties being compensated and compensated fairly, but comments like the ones from that dude (who may not be representative of anyone) are just galling. Those fans going to the game and buying tickets may be of Tongan heritage, but the bulk of them are NZers working in jobs in NZ and attending a match in NZ with NZ infrastructure.

I have no idea who is backing what, I assume it has to be run under the RLIF but assume NRL controls it because they're like the Indian Cricket Board - they really do control the game.

Burns

First Grade
Would imagine Duco Events are pocketing some money as well - have zero faith in them to sell the GB Lions tour.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Oh don't get me wrong, I'm all for all parties being compensated and compensated fairly, but comments like the ones from that dude (who may not be representative of anyone) are just galling. Those fans going to the game and buying tickets may be of Tongan heritage, but the bulk of them are NZers working in jobs in NZ and attending a match in NZ with NZ infrastructure.

I have no idea who is backing what, I assume it has to be run under the RLIF but assume NRL controls it because they're like the Indian Cricket Board - they really do control the game.

This! I was about to post this. The fans attending the game in numbers wearing the red gear are probably majority New Zealand born. So they are NZers supporting the game that just happen to prefer to follow the team of their heritage.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
This! I was about to post this. The fans attending the game in numbers wearing the red gear are probably majority New Zealand born. So they are NZers supporting the game that just happen to prefer to follow the team of their heritage.

They are Tonga fans who only bought tickets to support Tonga. Who cares where they live or work? As the reason the people are paying money to attend Tonga deserve a fair cut, and arguably the lions share after expenses as they are the drawcard.

latingringo101

Juniors
Tonga really hit their peak during the 2017 RLWC. That NZ win was memorable and fairly deserved but they were playing against a disorganised team.

Their last two games against the Kangaroos and NZ really show they are behind both sides now.

Sure they have the most powerful forward pack with some alright wingers but definitely their outside backs and halves are their issue.

I'd love to see how they go against GB, that should be a good match.

Matua

Bench
Tonga really hit their peak during the 2017 RLWC. That NZ win was memorable and fairly deserved but they were playing against a disorganised team.

Their last two games against the Kangaroos and NZ really show they are behind both sides now.

Sure they have the most powerful forward pack with some alright wingers but definitely their outside backs and halves are their issue.

I'd love to see how they go against GB, that should be a good match.
TBH, I think their pack is a bit overrated. I knew that the Kiwis would match them and with a proper coach the Kiwis tactics overwhelmed them. Early on you could see the Kiwi forwards were lining up Taumalolo to take him out of the game and it pretty much worked.

Matua

Bench
They are Tonga fans who only bought tickets to support Tonga. Who cares where they live or work? As the reason the people are paying money to attend Tonga deserve a fair cut, and arguably the lions share after expenses as they are the drawcard.
If Tonga wants to keep the lions share of a match they can host it Tonga.

adamkungl

Immortal
Tonga have maybe the best 2 forwards in the game right now, but Kiwis have a more consistently good pack through to their benchies.

Matua

Bench
Tonga have maybe the best 2 forwards in the game right now, but Kiwis have a more consistently good pack through to their benchies.
Yeah, I'd love it if JT and Taukeiaho were still Kiwis ;), but I think that people overlook what Bromwich brings to the Kiwis and how much he was missed in 2017.

adamkungl

Immortal
Someone needs to update David Kidwell's Wikipedia page..

This is all it has on his glorious rep coaching career!

"Kidwell joined the New Zealand national rugby league team as an assistant coach in 2014. After Stephen Kearney left the role of being the head coach of the New Zealand national team in 2016, Kidwell was later appointed as the new Kiwis head coach.[11]"

needs something like
"Kidwell oversaw a brief but embarrassing era for New Zealand Rugby League in which they lost two World Cup matches to tier-2 nations, and fluked a draw against another in the 2016 Four Nations tournament.
A series of critical failures in team culture and management led to disappointing results and a mass exodus of players. One notable lowlight was Kidwell somehow forgetting to play Jason Taumololo for most of a loss against Australia. Taumololo then defected to Tonga, who defeated New Zealand in a World Cup pool match.
Kidwell was replaced by a competent coach after failing to make the semi-finals of the 2017 World Cup."

Latest posts