What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Crowd Watch

carcharias

Immortal
I’m not there
Why the f**k would anyone want to go there to watch footy at this time on a Sunday arvo?

I’m home
Fire is on
Drinking beers
Curry in the oven

Or
ANZ

Hahahaha

Please?

Stallion

First Grade
A game in crisis

I believe the only appropriate and logical way to bring back more crowds is to split the whole Rugby League community in two, with half being run by the National Rugby League, and the other run by large media corporation. They could call it Superior League or something and create their own unique uniforms, get more cash and create more excitement!

? Think we have alluded to what has been hurting the code in Sydney. The dilution/loss of its longstanding and culturally well respected rivalries. For example Bears v Manly, Parra v Balmain, Wests Magpies v Parra or Balmain , Bears v Balmain etc. These were popular rivalries in decades gone by. Fans look forward to the "cultural clash". These rivalries have now gone to the never never! And so has many of the fans that enjoyed them.

Last edited:

mave

Coach
Think we have alluded to what has been hurting the code in Sydney. The dilution/loss of its longstanding and culturally well respected rivalries. For example Bears v Manly, Parra v Balmain, Wests Magpies v Parra or Balmain , Bears v Balmain etc. These were popular rivalrides in decades gone by. Fans look forward to the "cultura clash". These rivalries have now gone to the never never! And so has many of the fans that enjoyed them.

I tend to agree tbh, but I dont think it is a lack of the Bears, or unmerged sides that is the main issue.

As a Manly fan, the games v Parra each year were always the grudge match, after the Bears.
This has slowly died, as far as I can see, anyway.

I think the general apathy to RL has come from the continual sanitisation of the game. We have pandered to the soccer mums, and lost our soul that made RL great.

We used to go to Brookie just to boo Wally Lewis whenever the Broncs/GC came down. I couldnt name 1 player today that evokes that kind of passion in supporters...

Also characters like Spud Carroll and Paul Harrogon building that super intense personal rivalry just dont happen anymore.
Shit, guys get penalised for tackling too hard these days....

We are slowly losing the hardcore fans, at the expense of not upsetting the average mum and dad who may only attend a couple of games a year.

Slater1

Juniors
With what's happening in.nor

? Think we have alluded to what has been hurting the code in Sydney. The dilution/loss of its longstanding and culturally well respected rivalries. For example Bears v Manly, Parra v Balmain, Wests Magpies v Parra or Balmain , Bears v Balmain etc. These were popular rivalrides in decades gone by. Fans look forward to the "cultura clash". These rivalries have now gone to the never never! And so has many of the fans that enjoyed them.

These rivalries have been dead for decades now-- anyone under the age 35 wouldn't have much interest in these 'old' rivalries and it would take almost another 20 years to build them back up to be worth of anything.

The NRL needs teams in other parts of the country (like maybe a team that's not on the eastern seaboard) rather than more teams in Sydney-- a city that struggles to get crowds to games with the clubs they have at the moment.

Stallion

First Grade
These rivalries have been dead for decades now-- anyone under the age 35 wouldn't have much interest in these 'old' rivalries and it would take almost another 20 years to build them back up to be worth of anything.

The NRL needs teams in other parts of the country (like maybe a team that's not on the eastern seaboard) rather than more teams in Sydney-- a city that struggles to get crowds to games with the clubs they have at the moment.

That's called dilution of the code in Australia's largest city. And the results in crowd interest is reflecting the policy over the past two decades. The cultural awareness is being weakened. Bears v Manly is a major example.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I’m not there
Why the f**k would anyone want to go there to watch footy at this time on a Sunday arvo?

I’m home
Fire is on
Drinking beers
Curry in the oven

Or
ANZ

Hahahaha

Please?

Sums up a lot of rugby league fans level of commitment to supporting their team. I keep hearing Sydney clubs have 200-300k “fans” Yet they can only get 10k on a good day to go to games. I dont get the point of nrl making so much money from tv if it isnt going to try and grow it’s fan engagement using some of it. Considering the nrl has doubled its revenue in space of a few years can you honestly say the game is any better or stronger for having all that money?

Last edited:

DC_fan

Coach
That's called dilution of the code in Australia's largest city. And the results in crowd interest is reflecting the policy over the past two decades. The cultural awareness is being weakened. Bears v Manly is a major example.

Who are the Bears? Oh that’s right they are the Northern Sydney Bears.

TheFrog

Coach
As a Manly fan, the games v Parra each year were always the grudge match, after the Bears.
This has slowly died, as far as I can see, anyway.
Playing in a Grand Final generates a rivalry that lasts for decades, but not forever. The last Manly-Parra GF was 1983, that's 36 years. Penrith-Canberra has almost had it now after 28 years (some people on here try their best to keep it alive), Likewise Dragons-Broncos. Panthers-Roosters still survives. Cows-Broncos is massive and the NRL is clearly trying to do the same with Roosters-Storm. Rabbitohs-Bulldogs was a bit of a fizzer because it was a foregone conclusion and the Dogs are not doing well.

BUT nothing more will be gained if Roosters-Storm continue to make GF's year in and year out like they have. Other teams need to get a go. I don't think one team can have too many of these GF inspired rivalries, Sharks-Storm isn't bad but Sharks-Raiders or Panthers or Broncos would have been better.

Just my 2c worth.

Stallion

First Grade
Sums up a lot of rugby league fans level of commitment to supporting their team. I keep hearing Sydney clubs have 200-300k “fans” Yet they can only get 10k on a good day to go to games. I dont get the point of nrl making so much money from tv if it isnt going to try and grow it’s fan engagement using some of it. Considering the nrl has doubled its revenue in space of a few years can you honestly say the game is any better or stronger for having all that money?

Agree PR.It's not better off. Only Melbourne has been an improvement. The dilution of the codes top flight presence on Sydney (Australia's largest city ) is reducing overall fan interest. These 200000 to 300000 fans do exist but are not necessarily located in just Sydney. This is where the mistake of reducing top flight clubs in Sydney has hit the code's relevance within Sydney and elsewhere (people move). The Bears exit being a clear example of how when one longtime rival club goes so does the relevance that club brought to its local club rival Manly and the decline of the code (no Manly A grade comp in 2019 etc) and reduced overall junior numbers in northern Sydney. It's happening but people are not or choose not to identify the true reason for an overall relevance decline of rugby league in metropolitan Sydney.

Last edited:

TheFrog

Coach
Hardly surprising in this era of 85 inch HD Tv's. You see much more on TV than at the ground, the beer is cheaper, colder and better, food likewise, and it doesn't take half a day to get there and back.

League Unlimited News

Administrator
Staff member
Reminder: this is a crowd thread - not a thread for discussing the ills of the Northern Beaches or North Shore, or Perth either. Use other threads or expansion forums for such topics - stick to 2019 NRL crowds in here, thanks.