What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Judiciary Charges 2019

no name

Coach
Absolutely ridiculous.

I thought the whole shoulder charge debacle reached peak farce in the lead up to the GF will Slater’s case, but this tops it.

soc123_au

Staff member
What a crock of shit. We are going to see a lot of players sidelined for the rest of the season based on this.

mxlegend99

Referee
Look, i dont disagree.
It was barely a penalty, and definitely not worth 10 in the bin. The fact he was reported and now charged is really quite a joke.

But all being said, i think he should be suspended for a week. Just as a little warning to the rest of the league.
So he's not guilty of doing anything wrong. But should be suspended as a warning to others?

NRL just suspended him for 2 weeks for a shoulder charge... despite it being clear as day it wasn't a shoulder charge. What lesson will others learn from that?

Meanwhile the actual shoulder charge from that game was defended by the NRL because it was in the act of saving a try... apparently that makes illegal acts alright. Which contradicts professional fouls altogether.

NRL are f**ked. A tackle thay wasnt worthy of a penalty was sin binned for being late (when it clearly wasnt) and then suspended for 2 weeks for a shoulder charge (where he wrapped his arm around the player).

The only thing to be learned here is if you tackle a half you could be randomly binned and suspended for the sake of it. The next guy to hit Jimmy better cop an undeserved binning and suspension too. See how long before they realise the precedent they are setting is ridiculous

nick87

Coach
The judicary have delivered a result that is unfair and unjust. 1 week minimum and maximum was the right result

(but really what a joke, that was barely a penalty, let alone worth a charge or 2 game suspension)

nick87

Coach
I know it's more complicated than this, but when you boil it down:

3 weeks for Cotric
2 weeks for Kikau

Madness!
Yeah it's pretty wild
Within the context of the system the Cotric charge was, IMO right, but it's got me f**ked how a Grade 3 tackle like that has a base charge of only 500 points which allows a guy to serve only 3 weeks for that tackle and see Kikau get 2 for his. Really the points system hurts the intergity and credibility of the MRC and judicary

Munted

Bench
f**king hell, this just about does it for me. Yet we have that grub of a merkin Maguire gouging merkins twice this year and he cops a slap.

Dufmack

Juniors
That Panel should never be on the judiciary again, I knew the reffs and judiciary would take it to far when the game announced this stance on hitting playmakers late. But I had no idea they would randomly target tackles on halves for a sinbinning and 2 week suspension.

The stance was brought in to stop playermakers getting whacked in the back after they've passed the ball and have relaxed. Instead now it appears you have to fall back and let the halves dummy and slice through the line otherwise you'll be binned and banned.

Would love to hear from one person out there who genuinely thinks kikau deserves time off and please can I have some of whatever you're smoking.

This is how its being reported on nrl.com -

Round 18 charges: Kikau banned for two matches
Author: Margie McDonald & NRL.com
Timestamp: Tue 23 Jul 2019, 07:38 PM

Panthers back-rower Viliame Kikau will not play before his hometown crowd when they face the red-hot Raiders at Penrith Stadium on Sunday after being found guilty of a grade one shoulder charge at Tuesday night's judiciary hearing.

The 24-year-old Fiji international had pleaded not guilty to the charge, which related to a tackle on Dragons playmaker Darren Nicholls in last weekend’s 40-18 win.

The on-field referees deemed the tackle late and Kikau was sent to the sin-bin.

He opted to challenge the charge but the NRL judiciary panel of former players Mal Cochrane, Sean Garlick, and Dallas Johnson found him guilty.

Penrith coach Ivan Cleary said the verdict left him confused about what constitutes a shoulder charge in the NRL.

“If that’s where the bar has been set then that would be fair comment,” Cleary said outside the judiciary room at NRL headquarters.

Kikau will miss Sunday’s game against the Raiders at Penrith Stadium and the following week against the Bulldogs at Bankwest Stadium.

“Of course he’s an important part of our team but we’ll march on,” Cleary said. “We’ll certainly stump up – perhaps slightly more motivated now."

Giving evidence on Kikau’s behalf, Cleary said that two days before the Dragons game, the coaching staff and players held a lengthy discussion about late hits on playmakers because “lately the interpretation seems to have changed a little”.

“I’m a little confused as Viliame was sin-binned for a late hit, late contact [but] is charged with a shoulder charge. I think it’s fair to say there’s some grey area around the interpretation there,” he said.

“We’re extremely disappointed – quite shocked actually. I thought we had a very strong case. I certainly didn’t think that was a shoulder charge. But I respect the process and respect the decision.”

The 24-year-old Fiji international believed he hit Nicholls with his upper left chest.

“I tried to pull out of the tackle because I saw him pass the ball,” Kikau said.

Kikau has said that due to Nicolls changing direction to pass and slipping on the dewy grass just before the point of contact, he had no time to adjust.

“My right arm went around him but my left arm had no time to do that,” he said.

His lawyer Nick Ghabar said his client made “a frontal collision” with Nicholls, rather than pushing his upper left arm or shoulder into the Dragons player.

But NRL counsel Peter McGrath maintained Kikau bent his left arm and positioned his left shoulder to drive into the playmaker and made no attempt to wrap both arms around.

“If there’s time to do with the right arm, then why not with the left?” McGrath said.

After hearing 80 minutes of evidence, the NRL judiciary panel took less than 10 to find him guilty.

Kikau will be unavailable until the round 21 match against the Sharks at Penrith Stadium on August 9.

His 119-kilo, 195-centimetre frame will be missed by Cleary’s seventh-placed team as they try to make their NRL finals place secure. He is one of the most potent edge forwards in the competition.

In 2019 he’s played 13 games and scored six tries – and made 50 tackle breaks. He averages 123 metres off 12 hit-ups each match.

Latest posts