What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Panfa

Juniors
So who are we signing for next season no one we just seem to let players go and strengthen other clubs while we get weaker.

10Grand

Juniors
This stupid thing about us being a development club makes me laugh.
Iam sure every other teams has jersey Flagg and reserve grade so why are we special.
We need to go outside our catchment areas and sign young guns or get in the market place and bid for good players..

Panfa

Juniors
We cant have kenny egan luai in the 1st grade side altogether when kikau comes back this Friday 1 of thems gotta go could be luai through injury i think

Panfa

Juniors
Our wingers need to understand that when your centre goes in to make a defensive decision your winger has to follow twice yesterday naden and whare rushed in only for mansour and too to stay out in no mans land.

Panfa

Juniors
Also i will never understand why 1st grade coaches continue to tell players to defend outside in rather than inside out if everyone slides out theres no overlap when you slide in you create overlaps for opposition teams

Pomoz

Bench
This stupid thing about us being a development club makes me laugh.
Iam sure every other teams has jersey Flagg and reserve grade so why are we special.
We need to go outside our catchment areas and sign young guns or get in the market place and bid for good players..
We do go outside our catchment area and sign players. We have Kiwis, Queenslanders, country boys, all sorts on our roster. They are not all from St Marys. If you read the press releases when they sign these junior players you will see that they come from everywhere.

Being a development club means we invest in juniors using the Penrith juniors base, which is huge and then add players from other parts of the country to improve the standard overall. Whether you agree with it or not, it is a clear strategy and has been implemented with a lot of thought. Kikau is a product of that strategy. He was selected from the North Queensland juniors and brought through the grades and debuted at Penrith. Yeo is a country boy brought into the Panthers from Dubbo and brought through the juniors. There are many examples of this.

We go outside for youngsters, but not enough for seasoned players.

All our best teams have had a good amount of players who had debuted for other clubs, we’ve got tunnel vision for youngsters.

This is a hill I’ll die on. :wink:

martielang

Bench

All our best teams have had a good amount of players who had debuted for other clubs, we’ve got tunnel vision for youngsters.

If RCG does move on, you think this is the window to get a couple of established guys - Scott, Korisau etc

Pomoz

Bench

I know you will and I agree. I stand by being a development club, but when you have shortcomings you get in some experience. Nothing wrong with that, even the best clubs have players from other clubs when it suits them. Just don't sign dross or journeymen. Eventually we shouldn't need to sign somebody like WInterstein, we will have our own experienced journeyman to draw from. Our outside players should be mainly quality when we get to that stage.

franklin2323

Immortal
I know you will and I agree. I stand by being a development club, but when you have shortcomings you get in some experience. Nothing wrong with that, even the best clubs have players from other clubs when it suits them. Just don't sign dross or journeymen. Eventually we shouldn't need to sign somebody like WInterstein, we will have our own experienced journeyman to draw from. Our outside players should be mainly quality when we get to that stage.

Talent indentification both who to keep and who to let go has been an issue for a while with the club

The problem as I see it is the possible tunnel vision. I think that may have played a role on where we are right now. We have a squad that is overwhelmingly juniors, but we’re lacking in a few key areas, perhaps we shouldn’t have let it get to this point?

If we become too invested in either juniors or outside talent that’s where I see the real problem being. Need a balance, and I don’t think that balance is back filling once the juniors haven’t worked out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts