What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 20 vs Eels

Coffs dragon

Bench
That shit was hard to watch......again! I don't think Jesus Christ could save the Dragons if he was the assistant to Maryl

Dorsai

Juniors
The saddest thing is they blindly renewed the contract of McIdiot because of the Illawarra ties to the board. Because of that move there is no money to move him on. He knows that, the board knows that.

We are unfortunately stuck with being the laughing stock of the league until the board makes its next disaster.

We would be better off with the board being completely dismissed and administered by the ARL. That is a sad thought but probably the only saving grave from two more years of McIdiot striving for the spoon.

getsmarty

Immortal
Eels prolong Dragons run of outs as pressure mounts on McGregor
Dragons Den
r0_0_5568_3712_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

BATTLING: The Dragons slumped to their 11th loss in their last 13 outings against Parramatta on Sunday. Picture: NRL Photos

IT'S their spiritual home but the Dragons could well be walking into the lion's den at Kogarah next Saturday after slumping to a 12-4 loss to the Eels at the famed venue on Sunday.

Their afternoon began on a horror note when they lost Zac Lomax to a hamstring injury in the warm-up just one game into his return from a broken thumb.

It was a moment that largely summed up their season, with the following 80 minutes telling the same story despite a game second-half effort after trailing 10-0 at halftime.

With fans already applying the blowtorch to coach Paul McGregor after just two wins in their last 13 games, next week's clash with last-placed Gold Coast will see the heat turned up even further.

The finals-bound Eels went into Sunday's clash on the back of four wins from their last five games. The Titans, playing under a pair of interim coaches following the sacking of Garth Brennan, have lost their last six including a 58-6 pasting at the hands of the Roosters in Sunday's earlier fixture.

Having booed their side from the park at the same venue last season - when they were en route to the finals - Dragons fans could tear their spiritual home to the ground should they lose to the Titans.

Euan Aitken and Paul Vaughan both finished the match on report for crusher tackles, while Vaughan left the field with 11 minutes to play after producing an incredible one-handed try-saving tackle on Clint Gutherson while nursing a badly dislocated finger.

It adds to McGregor's headaches that no longer include even the slimmest of finals hopes with five more games to play.

"Today obviously puts away any thought of playing finals regardless of the results so it's tough," McGregor said.

"We've played two teams [the last two weeks] in the top six, one of them was running second and one of them was running sixth or seventh, they've won five of their last seven.

"They're playing with a bit of confidence, we're down on confidence at the moment obviously, we're not winning games of footy so everything's a little bit clunky and our execution's not where it needs to be.

"I'm not going to hide from the fact that, when you're not winning games of footy, everyone wants to know why and the reasons behind it. Everyone wants to come at you and attack you.

"As a coach you've just got to make sure you're comfortable being uncomfortable, I'm competitive as ever so you just want to make sure you finish on a strong note to the year.

"We've got another game next week and, the last couple of weeks have been pretty hard because, when you're not winning games, you're out of finals contention and you build you're whole year and team around that... it's difficult."

Maika Sivo started what was a dominant first 40 minutes for the Eels, opening the scoring just four minutes in off a kick from Moses who also converted from the sideline for a 6-0 lead.

They had to wait another 18 minutes for their second that came through Dylan Brown, who charged onto an offload from Shaun Lane and burned the cover defence on a 40-metre run to the line. Moses' attempt at the extras was waved away, keeping the score at 10-0 at the break.

The Dragons struck first in the second stanza, with Mikaele Ravalawa - Lomax's late replacement - benefitting from Gareth Widdop's bat back of a Corey Norman bomb to post his side's first points. Widdop's attempted conversion bounced off the upright, keeping the margin at six with still 34 minutes to play.

Vaughan's effort on a runaway Gutherson saved a try but conceded a penalty and two more points to Moses for an eight-point cushion with with 11 minutes to go. It proved the final margin.

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...-outs-as-pressure-mounts-on-mcgregor/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
huntb-190804_gt_09.jpg

DRAGONS

McGregor says new feeling will be difficult to accept
Author
Alicia Newton NRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Sun 4 Aug 2019, 09:10 PM
newtonalicia-head.png

A deflated St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor says it will be hard to accept his side are out of finals contention.

The Dragons showed little in their 12-4 loss to the Eels despite several opportunities to draw level with the visitors in an otherwise dire contest in Kogarah.

McGregor has already labelled 2019 as one of the toughest he'd ever been a part of but the reality finally kicked following the result with the Dragons officially knocked out of finals contention.

"It's the first time in my coaching career I haven't been in a semi-finals position at this time of the year," McGregor said.

"The last couple of weeks have been pretty hard because when you're not winning games you're out of finals contention. You build your whole year and team around that so it's difficult.

"I'm not going to hide the fact when you're not winning games of footy everyone wants to know why and the reasons behind it.

Match Highlights: Dragons v Eels

"Everyone wants to come at you and attack you but as a coach you've just got to make sure you're comfortable being uncomfortable."

The Dragons have several reasons to finish the season strong in 2019 with James Graham in line to play his 400th first grade game (including Super League matches) next week against the Gold Coast.

Dragons skipper Gareth Widdop will also depart the club at season's end after working his way back from a shoulder reconstruction.

Ravalawa gets the Dragons back in the match

"[I've got to] stay composed and still keep the boys confident," McGregor said.

"I'm competitive as ever and you just want to make sure you finish on a strong note. There's a part of me that wants to win, a big part."

McGregor was confident the team would continue to show a desire he believes has been there over the past fortnight despite the results not going in their favour against the Eels and Rabbitohs.

"We played two teams in the top six who are playing with a bit of confidence," he said.

"We're down on confidence and not winning games of footy. Everything is a little bit clunky. Our execution is not where it needs to be.

"I don't think the effort was any different than last week."

McGregor was confident prop Paul Vaughan won't have a case to answer for two crusher tackles – one of which was placed on report – in the side's loss.

Vaughan left the field with a dislocated finger in the second half in a mixed game for the NSW prop.

"I just feel that Parramatta are a good offload side and they spin well in tackles so their backing into the contact," he said of Vaughan's tackling efforts.

"Sometimes you can't avoid those tackles. There was too many of them. They're pretty hard to avoid."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/08/04/mcgregor-says-new-feeling-will-be-difficult-to-accept/

sco22

Juniors
Precisely, Gareth67.

I watched the game but held back from commenting through it.
This is my first post since the before the game.

When WIN ( Gordon) took control of our club, l, like everyone else, thought better days were on their way.
Well, we got the opposite.

We have never been so bad.
We have never had such a poor coach.
Our future has never looked so bleak ( still the balance of McGregors' extension to go ).
We have so many ex player foot soldiers in place at the club, who obviously have no idea how to do their job, otherwise, we would not be in the situation we're in................. simple.

Bruce Gordon, you need to get serious or get out!
OKB the Dragons should have gone with Bingo waste skips they support the Dragons not WIN Corp the club would not be in this position. Bruce Gordonliv
He shares his time between Bermuda and Monaco you know dragons country
love it WCD TBH I don’t think he cares one little bit about football all it is it’s a business deal done with his mates and the business is going the drain very quickly. It can’t come quick enough for my liking

Lovemedragons

Juniors
I tried to be positive about this game but after 5 minutes and 4 inane attempts to catch a friggen kick, reality set in along with the rot yet again. If Titans get us next week it must surely be the end of the line, no lower can we go :(

Mickthedragon

Juniors
Can't fathom how he could still mention once again, that we're now officially out of finals contention mathematically and it's the first time he's been in this position. What the actual F*ck is this guy on?

getsmarty

Immortal
Can't fathom how he could still mention once again, that we're now officially out of finals contention mathematically and it's the first time he's been in this position. What the actual F*ck is this guy on?

The sad part is the Board are facilitating this....He will still be here next year....

thebigredv

First Grade
We've got Mary covered from all angles. Anyway you look at it he is an imposter of a coach.

Something else must be properly explored though.

Corey Norman (QLD) - plays in the most annoyingly nonchalant manner, constantly fumbling, throwing forward passes and kicking too long or short, and that's when he decides to get into a match. Also has missed crucial tackles that have led to tries, and didn't even look like tackling Brown today. Will end up my least favourite player to pull on the red v. We have his two field goals to thank for two more years of pain.

Ben Hunt (QLD) - has looked your standard NRL halfback precisely since origin finished, has a poor game then a couple of meh games, missed some important tackles in that time and constantly slipping over. Paid too much.

Tyson Frizell (NSW) - yep he's everyone's favourite but he has not stood up for mine when we needed an example. Again this coincides with end of origin although I think his whole year has been average, unless we are paying him just to be a tackling machine. He's probably honest enough to say he has been under par. I can distinctly think of 3 fumbles in perfect try-scoring positions over the last two weeks where with blue on everything magically stuck. Unlike the other two I can't say he doesn't always try.

I'm prepared to give Tariq Sims the benefit of the doubt if all this talk of his groin is true. He played out of his skin last year and I think along with De Belin's absence has been the main difference this year. Tariq has been consistently ineffectual all year. Hardly recognisable. Either that's poor management or a complete crock regarding the injury.

Bench
I must disagree with McIdiot said we are out of finals contention, I think we all know our finals campaign went down the toilet 13 weeks ago

OKB the Dragons should have gone with Bingo waste skips they support the Dragons not WIN Corp the club would not be in this position. Bruce Gordonliv

love it WCD TBH I don’t think he cares one little bit about football all it is it’s a business deal done with his mates and the business is going the drain very quickly. It can’t come quick enough for my liking
Probably his son Andrew who ain’t no James packer in business nous or cash but the fish rots from the head first and the clubs problems I won’t say our problems coz I didn’t contribute to the mess is a breakdown at every level board,football dept and then playing group for various reasons and everyone is sitting around watching it it’s almost like someone’s in the surf waving for help and the life guards are sitting around laughing and doing nothing the curious one in all of this is crawleys brother that situation is very weird as one brother has a line into the inner sanctum and the other brother has a direct line to the Telegraph very weird and I’d fall over backwards if politis put his club in that situation ahh well

possm

Coach
The saddest thing is they blindly renewed the contract of McIdiot because of the Illawarra ties to the board. Because of that move there is no money to move him on. He knows that, the board knows that.

We are unfortunately stuck with being the laughing stock of the league until the board makes its next disaster.

We would be better off with the board being completely dismissed and administered by the ARL. That is a sad thought but probably the only saving grave from two more years of McIdiot striving for the spoon.
There is enough money to move Mary on however, it must come from WIN and St George Leagues Club - the share holders. If SGI had members with full boting rights and if elections were held every year for Borad Members, then we would not get these unsound Board decisions; Board members would be held accountable.

We've got Mary covered from all angles. Anyway you look at it he is an imposter of a coach.

Something else must be properly explored though.

Corey Norman (QLD) - plays in the most annoyingly nonchalant manner, constantly fumbling, throwing forward passes and kicking too long or short, and that's when he decides to get into a match. Also has missed crucial tackles that have led to tries, and didn't even look like tackling Brown today. Will end up my least favourite player to pull on the red v. We have his two field goals to thank for two more years of pain.

Ben Hunt (QLD) - has looked your standard NRL halfback precisely since origin finished, has a poor game then a couple of meh games, missed some important tackles in that time and constantly slipping over. Paid too much.

Tyson Frizell (NSW) - yep he's everyone's favourite but he has not stood up for mine when we needed an example. Again this coincides with end of origin although I think his whole year has been average, unless we are paying him just to be a tackling machine. He's probably honest enough to say he has been under par. I can distinctly think of 3 fumbles in perfect try-scoring positions over the last two weeks where with blue on everything magically stuck. Unlike the other two I can't say he doesn't always try.

I'm prepared to give Tariq Sims the benefit of the doubt if all this talk of his groin is true. He played out of his skin last year and I think along with De Belin's absence has been the main difference this year. Tariq has been consistently ineffectual all year. Hardly recognisable. Either that's poor management or a complete crock regarding the injury.
I would’ve gone the other way given Tyson the benefit and tariq the rocket

Latest posts