What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

Tiger Ted

Bench
I really like Thompson and his effort, but we should be really ensuring that our recruitment should put us in a position where Thompson will be finishing his contract playing reserve grade.
I totally get where ur coming from although he is the most likely to do something brilliant in attack which underscores how devoid of attacking prowess our back 5 have been.

If someone with Thommos exemplary attitude & integrity were to b playing reserve grade it would undoubtedly indicate we r a contender for the title.

On the commentary today in the Dragons v Eels match Rabs said something about a Fiji side coming into the NSW reserve grade competition (Canterbury Cup) and 'will be a feeder club for Wests Tigers'.

Anyone heard anything more on this? Sounds exciting.
The Fijian side were going to enter the comp last year, then it was this year. I think from memory that Petero Civoniceva was the guy working as the go between. I thought the idea was to take x number of games to Fiji rather than actually be based there because of the cost. Global warming ;) might help them settle in to a Sydney winter v Fijian winter.

Trollhammaren

Juniors
The Fijian side were going to enter the comp last year, then it was this year. I think from memory that Petero Civoniceva was the guy working as the go between. I thought the idea was to take x number of games to Fiji rather than actually be based there because of the cost. Global warming ;) might help them settle in to a Sydney winter v Fijian winter.

Yeah I knew they have been trying to bring them in for a couple of years now. Just curious to see what our association may be.

Tigerm

First Grade
I really hope we chase Ramien. I reckon hes quality... Strong defender and ball carrier, showed last year he can get across the line, and from all reports a strong trainer and good fella.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/s...n/news-story/9113809abed9bf466d74309b6e2928f8

Hooper told Triple M on Sunday the Roosters and Storm have contacted Ramien’s representatives and are in the six-way fight alongside the Bulldogs, Tigers, Sharks and Cowboys.

I read that Storm have stated they aren't interested and Ramien wants to be near his kid (Lives in the Hunter), so that should delete Cows as well.

But money talks.

Fordy20

Juniors
I'd take Manu over Ramien any day of the week, but it's the Roosters, they will find some way to keep them all.

Mario chalmers

Juniors
Yeah I knew they have been trying to bring them in for a couple of years now. Just curious to see what our association may be.

If WT are looking to link with a Fijian, Joe Lovadua is the ideal no 14 at NRL level and has played well for St George NSW Cup side whenever I see them.

His position is hooker most often but he's got the build of a larger 5/8 + a bit of speed. He'd be ideal to have backing up LIddle in 2020.

On the subject of St George reserve grade - Lachlan Timm, Josh Carr & Jackson Ford are too good for the two's as well from games I have seen.

For a battling squad the WT should seriously be looking at NSW cup rather than paying overs for established/washed up NRL talent?

Tigerm

First Grade
If WT are looking to link with a Fijian, Joe Lovadua is the ideal no 14 at NRL level and has played well for St George NSW Cup side whenever I see them.

His position is hooker most often but he's got the build of a larger 5/8 + a bit of speed. He'd be ideal to have backing up LIddle in 2020.

On the subject of St George reserve grade - Lachlan Timm, Josh Carr & Jackson Ford are too good for the two's as well from games I have seen.

For a battling squad the WT should seriously be looking at NSW cup rather than paying overs for established/washed up NRL talent?
Trouble is, we have been there and done over and over again. I think we have a good squad now, but we just need an "X" factor player, like Teddy to bring it home.

gordsy

Juniors
Trouble is, we have been there and done over and over again. I think we have a good squad now, but we just need an "X" factor player, like Teddy to bring it home.
Tedesco alone will not win us a comp, we are in the 8 due to the comp being weak. We've lost more games than we've won.

super_coach

First Grade
The foundation is there, but the current squad would be over achieving if they made the eight. Don’t get me wrong, there are plenty of good signs but at least 25% of our current squad are what you would define as good depth players.

Since Madge as come onto the scene at least there seems to be a recruitment and development strategy with plenty of quality kids being signed and I guess when we clear up Ivan’s mess there will be some good NRL players signed.

Without moving on some of Ivan’s howlers don’t expect much till 2021

BrotherJim05

Bench
f**k I love Madge as a coach. He inherited a poor roster but has the boys punching well above their weight. Haven't heard him complain once that it's not his roster and hasn't tried to shaft anyone without giving them a chance.

You just get this feeling that Madge knows what he's doing and he's in it for nothing less than a premiership by the time he's done

Tiger05

First Grade
f**k I love Madge as a coach. He inherited a poor roster but has the boys punching well above their weight. Haven't heard him complain once that it's not his roster and hasn't tried to shaft anyone without giving them a chance.

You just get this feeling that Madge knows what he's doing and he's in it for nothing less than a premiership by the time he's done

We are playing pretty well with our marquee players basically not being up to first grade level. He doesn't seem to be rushing into poor signings either. I think all of our key players have been retained as well.

If Madge can get our cap sorted and come up with some smart purchases he gets an A+.

Ron's_Mate

Bench

And ... he drops non-performers, no matter how big their name or their contract.

this comes under 'other shit'
Some guys were speaking about AJ Brimson yesterday and so I went looking to see who plays with when not in 1st grade. The Qld Cup has plenty of former West Tiger players both 1st & reserve. Some names I had not come across in a long time like Matt Groat & Jack Buchanan.

Matt Groat, Delouise Hoeter, at WM Seagulls.
Kurtis Rowe, Pat Politoni, Jack Buchanan all at the Bears
Manaia Cherrington for Magpies,
Eddie Pettybourne at Capras,