What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 21 V Sharks

Plenty of 7s have been great runners, they had other great attributes also but running as 7 adds another dimension to the attack. Nathan just needs to continue developing his kicking game and most importantly continue to lead the team as it sounds like he did last night and he will be a great half. I know he’s highly paid and fairly experienced now but I still think patience is required, he is young and he is showing enough now that he can turn into a very good attacking half, he is already the best defensive 7 which is a lot less important I know but it’s worth a mention. He has great composure already and he seems like a person who will keep working on his game. I’m far less worried about that contract than I was before the season began.

That’s why I specifically said “running as their best attacking attribute”

To me it’s pretty clearly his best attacking weapon.

snickers007

Juniors
Leniu came on at exactly the wrong time. I feel like the momentum flipped the tackle before he came on which i believe was a huge relieving penalty. He crunched Gallen first up, tackles for 10 minutes, had one or two runs under pressure and went off. The penalty was because we were getting slaughtered up the middle and it was probably the right play. He’d have been much better if we were in an arm wrestle or on top.

Exactly right. We had no ball, conceded 4 penalties and a try during that 10mins.

Considering Leniu's reputation for being a wrecking ball, that's the exact opposite scenario to what Ivan would have wanted.

He'll get another shot next week though, and hopefully he gets a chance to show what he's got with the ball in hand.

BxTom

Bench
He’s been running the ball consistently all year, I’ve been waiting all year for a game like last night where he actually gets through the line a couple times. Cleary st hooker is interesting but it won’t happen under Ivan. With Players like Luai or Burton outside of him he will fine, he controls the team well when he’s on form especially without Jimmy. Not knocking Jimmy at all but wearing 6 or 7 Jimmy is s dominant personality and half and Nathan defers. Once Nathan really starts owning the team I think the talk of moving him will go away.
I thought that I was the only one seeing him trying to run the ball, especially the last 3-4 weeks. Only difference is that he managed to break through a couple of times. He had a very good game.

franklin2323

Immortal
Coaches have control over their rosters. Some moreso than others. Not always for the best either. But their job is dependent on results and they try to build the roster they want to get those results

You think Ivan Cleary had nothing to do with bringing the likes of Elijah Taylor, Lewis Brown, Mat Robinson, Nafe Seluini, James Fisher Harris, Corey Harawira-Naera etc..from Warriors?

Or that Bennett had nothing to do with Darius Boyd, Jeremy Smith, Alex McKinnon etc. Following him from Dragons. Or all the old experienced players he was obsessed with bringing in.

You think Des Hasler wasnt responsible for all the big money Bulldogs kept throwing at players? He went for Keiran Foran year after year until they got him.

Coaches identify players they want to sign. Players they dont want on their roster. Players they want to promote and so on.

Lets use 2 of those examples. Darius is a premiership winner, test and origin player.

Foran was NZ captain at one stage won comps.

So of course the boards would be interested. It is then up to the board/CEO to fit them into the squad. A coach shouldn't know how much x player is on.

Look at now with Ponga and the Turbos. Cleary of course would want them it is up to the others on the recruitment committee to say we can't afford them.

We look like having $800k or so to spend should Ivan just prepare the team or start calling managers to spend that money?

I dare say Matt Cameron or Dave will do that and give Ivan a list of potential players to approve.

Fangs

Coach
As for Nathan Cleary. He was very good last night, best on field in my eyes. But one game doesn't make you a halfback. We need these kind of performances every week from a guy earning 1 million dollars.

Honestly, I can only remember one other game against the warriors in 2017 when he played this well. His other stand out performances were just through pure effort e.g. Eels/Roosters games earlier this year. He has a long way to go.

franklin2323

Immortal
Kid was super composed. Very impressive

I think early on need him or Luai to start with the other on the bench. No matter which one starts they will struggle at times that is when the other can take over.

The fact he has size and speed means he can play most positions long term. Except for hooker too tall for that

OldPanther

Coach
As for Nathan Cleary. He was very good last night, best on field in my eyes. But one game doesn't make you a halfback. We need these kind of performances every week from a guy earning 1 million dollars.

Honestly, I can only remember one other game against the warriors in 2017 when he played this well. His other stand out performances were just through pure effort e.g. Eels/Roosters games earlier this year. He has a long way to go.

He seems to clash with Maloney. Can't remember who said it, maybe @mxlegend99 , that he does what the team needs. From what we saw in last night and the Warriors game you mentioned we can say he'll look much better in the 7 next year. Brooks got halfback of the year under Ivan as coach!

Dave's mate

Juniors
I think early on need him or Luai to start with the other on the bench. No matter which one starts they will struggle at times that is when the other can take over.

The fact he has size and speed means he can play most positions long term. Except for hooker too tall for that
Centre might be worth a look

Apologies for labouring the point, but that game against the warriors was mostly his running game too.

Apologies for labouring the point, but that game against the warriors was mostly his running game too.

Just watched the highlights of that 2017 game again, hell of a game from Cleary.

He had two try assists from kicks

but also

2 tries from his strong running game

another try from support running

And he created another try, even though he didn’t get the final pass, from his running straight at the line.

so 3 tries, 2 try assists & 1 try involvement

franklin2323

Immortal
Just watched the highlights of that 2017 game again, hell of a game from Cleary.

He had two try assists from kicks

but also

2 tries from his strong running game

another try from support running

And he created another try, even though he didn’t get the final pass, from his running straight at the line.

so 3 tries, 2 try assists & 1 try involvement

Need more of that type of games

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Yeah the boys!!!

I love this team, we are producing some amazing humble players, they all seem to love the club and ripping in with each other.

I realise it’s only early days, but I hope we can keep this group together for the next 5 or so years.