What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Non Footy Chat Thread II

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
So if you were CEO of Pou Entertainment Pty Ltd and you paid one of your staff circa $1.5m per year to do a job. You hired him because he's the best in his field. Because he is the best in his field he has a high profile and in particular on social media. Problem is he posts stuff that is against the values of the organization and indeed internal research is telling you that his actions on social media is damaging your brand. Major sponsors are squirming in their seats and calling you wanting to know if you can tell him to put a lid on it.

What do you do ? Nothing because you you respect his right to express his religious or whatever rights ? What a nice guy !
Obviously RA are acting in their own best interests. Folau definitely hurts their brand. In the era of woke capitalism businesses need to toe the line. Nobody's arguing that RA are acting irrationally. Having Folau on their books is definitely bad for business. If I was the owner I'd want Folau gone as well.

But this is about the law potentially siding with the individual at the expense of the corporation. Nobody's asking RA to respect Israel Folau's right to practice his religion. The fact it's going to court means the decision is being taken out of RA's hands.

If Folau is successful would this mean RA would be off the hook with their sponsors about retaining religious employees such as Israel Folau? Of course not. They would be f**ked, unable to sack outspoken employees and still watching their brand deteriorate. Sponsors would abandon them in droves. This is why the case is huge and why corporates are pushing the idea that this is all about being mean to homosexuals.

Gronk

Staff member
and why corporates are pushing the idea that this is all about being mean to homosexuals.

I think your reading it wrong. The instagram post listed various abominations that woukd lead an individual to go to hell, if they didnt repent. Drunks philanderers etc can repent because their actions are about life choices. Homosexuals can't repent bc they are who they are. Ipso facto it's about them. Especially in light of the group hug that the LGBTI community just received after the SSM vote.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I think your reading it wrong. The instagram post listed various abominations that woukd lead an individual to go to hell, if they didnt repent. Drunks philanderers etc can repent because their actions are about life choices. Homosexuals can't repent bc they are who they are. Ipso facto it's about them. Especially in light of the group hug that the LGBTI community just received after the SSM vote.
Sexual preferences are not the same as sex acts. Plenty of people are celibate, whether by choice or otherwise. Jesus himself never married.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Obviously that is a list of people named for their (supposed) crimes. But it is the act that gets them on Folau's naughty list, not their sense of identity. You can identify as a thief, and enjoy the idea of stealing stuff, but you haven't committed a crime until you actually steal something.

It's much like how the secular, progressive world has no problem with people who identify as Christians or Muslims, but rather with people who profess Christian or Muslim beliefs.

Do you think bisexuals are spared from hell in Folau's religious ideology? It's obviously talking about homosexual acts, not feelings. But Folau and his fellows are simpletons and they aren't up on the modern terminology. To them a homosexual is a man who chooses to have sex with other men.

Gronk

Staff member
Obviously that is a list of people named for their (supposed) crimes. But it is the act that gets them on Folau's naughty list, not their sense of identity. You can identify as a thief, and enjoy the idea of stealing stuff, but you haven't committed a crime until you actually steal something.

It's much like how the secular, progressive world has no problem with people who identify as Christians or Muslims, but rather with people who profess Christian or Muslim beliefs.

Do you think bisexuals are spared from hell in Folau's religious ideology? It's obviously talking about homosexual acts, not feelings. But Folau and his fellows are simpletons and they aren't up on the modern terminology. To them a homosexual is a man who chooses to have sex with other men.

If all you have left to discuss is the nuance bewteen being homosexual as a desire and actually having homosexual relations, then I think my job is done here.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
If all you have left to discuss is the nuance bewteen being homosexual as a desire and actually having homosexual relations, then I think my job is done here.
Actually I think you also need hear that there's a difference between love and sex. Marriage is also a separate thing.

Gronk

Staff member
Gronk, have you had a look at the avatar of the bloke you're discussing this with?
Yeah this merkin.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Wrong on 116.

Section 116 of the Constitution precludes the federal parliament from making laws that prohibit the free exercise of any religion, but does not stop the states from making such laws. The Fair Work Act prohibits discrimination based on religious beliefs or activity in employment contexts as do laws in all states except NSW and South Australia.

This is an employment contract dispute. Did he breach code of conduct / brand damage due to polarising social media posts with wide reach.

I know the states can make those laws. I said so.

I also said that they wouldn't. Ever.

That leaves the gap for the Constitution to reign. Just because NSW and SA haven't made laws doesn't mean that there's no protection. The protection is automatically given by the Constitution unless a superseding law closes the gap. And no states have those laws, nor will they ever have them.

It doesn't matter what you want to be the case, Gronk.

Bandwagon

Staff member
I know the states can make those laws. I said so.

I also said that they wouldn't. Ever.

That leaves the gap for the Constitution to reign. Just because NSW and SA haven't made laws doesn't mean that there's no protection. The protection is automatically given by the Constitution unless a superseding law closes the gap. And no states have those laws, nor will they ever have them.

It doesn't matter what you want to be the case, Gronk.

The problem here is the constitution doesn't offer the specific protections you infer it does, this is evidenced by the exemptions found in anti discrimination legislation which specifically allows for these kind of "protections" for religious organisations.

The very need for these exemptions could well infer the need for more than that which the constitution affords.

I really don't believe that it is any where near as simple as you make it out to be, and to be honest your statement regards that which @Gronk wants it to be works both ways.