What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Referees Making Up the Rules on the Spot Thread

grouch

First Grade
The ref in the Sharks-Dragons game allowed several tries from kicks. Outrageous

LineBall

Juniors
Is the benefit of going back and playing the ball if you play on simultaneously to the call of held only afforded to the attacking team?
Hodgson went for a one on one rake last night as the ref called held, he was penalised.
If the attacking player passes the ball as the ref calls held, they are brought back to play it.

I think it should probably stay as a penalty, but I wonder if there is anything actually written in the rule book around this?
Good point. Logic would suggest that if either the ball is passed or stripped simultaneously to the held call then it should be a play the ball.

Frailty

First Grade
Lately I have notice a new trend in Refereeing. Referees have always ruled on interpretations of the Rules, but lately the new trend Ive picked up on is they are now making up new rules as they go.

Last night in the Tigers v Manly there was an infuriating example. Manly 3 man tackle on a Tigers player (Nofo from memory?), they grab him and slowly march him to the side line. Referee calls held.....held.......held ......held....HELD...then the Manly players throw him over the touchline. Rules are simple, its a scrum feed to Manly or penalty to the Tigers. Ref makes up a new rule and orders a play the ball 5m in.

Does my head in. I know that the great footy brain that is Greenberg has told us that consistency is overrated but to invent new ways of creating inconsistency takes some next level incompetence.

Has anyone else noticed this? Your favourite examples?

Nofa ran to the sideline to milk the penalty. There was no force from the Manly players that would have taken him over the sideline.

As the play had been called held, a player can't go into touch (i.e. if a player in possession is getting up after being tacked, and touches the sideline play is not blown dead). That's why he was ordered to play the ball where the call of held was made.

carcharias

Immortal
Nofa ran to the sideline to milk the penalty. There was no force from the Manly players that would have taken him over the sideline.

As the play had been called held, a player can't go into touch (i.e. if a player in possession is getting up after being tacked, and touches the sideline play is not blown dead). That's why he was ordered to play the ball where the call of held was made.

Correct

The rule was changed to fix this exact issue.

I’m sure there are situations where a penalty should be blown too.

no name

Coach
On Friday, Checcin decided that Dufty, who was tackled in a surrender tackle, wasn’t allowed to play the ball until the tackler was at marker.

Surely that’s made up?

gerg

Juniors
On Friday, Checcin decided that Dufty, who was tackled in a surrender tackle, wasn’t allowed to play the ball until the tackler was at marker.

Surely that’s made up?

Yeah I've never heard that before.

What was Manly penalised for this arvo? I think it was Joel Thompson picked the ball up from the back of the scrum. It sounded like the ref was saying that second rowers couldn't pick the ball up, but DCE was in the sinbin.

simmo05

Bench
Or the one where mansour walks 2 meters, goes around the marker, and plays the ball to receive a penalty. Never hear of that merkin before

blue bags

First Grade
Yeah I've never heard that before.

What was Manly penalised for this arvo? I think it was Joel Thompson picked the ball up from the back of the scrum. It sounded like the ref was saying that second rowers couldn't pick the ball up, but DCE was in the sinbin.
6 in the scrum, is the rule

soc123_au

Staff member
Or the one where mansour walks 2 meters, goes around the marker, and plays the ball to receive a penalty. Never hear of that merkin before
That one was head scratcher. What was funnier is I think it was Nofo tried the same thing a few minutes later & got a much different result. The officiating was all over the shop last night.

Tigers first try Reynolds obstruction ignored because the try scorer ran past him making him a support player. wtf? he was never onside, so cant be a support player ala J Moz in last weeks game.

Tigers strip, Sauce picks up cleanly & scores, called back to give Penrith the penalty. SHould have been play on & a try.

The calls went both ways I thought, but it shits me they just cant get it right.

simmo05

Bench
That one was head scratcher. What was funnier is I think it was Nofo tried the same thing a few minutes later & got a much different result. The officiating was all over the shop last night.

Tigers first try Reynolds obstruction ignored because the try scorer ran past him making him a support player. wtf? he was never onside, so cant be a support player ala J Moz in last weeks game.

Tigers strip, Sauce picks up cleanly & scores, called back to give Penrith the penalty. SHould have been play on & a try.

The calls went both ways I thought, but it shits me they just cant get it right.
I agree, but that made me piss blood.

Shouldn't Manly have had a penalty at the end of the match v Newcastle earlier? And the Knights winger sent to the bin for the push in the back? Fine, it wasn't a penalty try, I agree, but...we could have levelled up with a man advantage going into golden point.

Apey

Staff member
Shouldn't Manly have had a penalty at the end of the match v Newcastle earlier? And the Knights winger sent to the bin for the push in the back? Fine, it wasn't a penalty try, I agree, but...we could have levelled up with a man advantage going into golden point.
Yeah nah.

blue bags

First Grade
thats right, could have been a sin bin, and penalty , chance of 2 points, draw, extra time, golden point

Meth

Staff member

Yes. Obviously.

The ref isn't at fault, really. David Munro had a perfect view of it and Bryan Norrie obviously really bottled his moment.

T-Boon

Coach
the Knights push in the back was no penalty. He committed to the contact simultaneously with the ball hitting the foot for the kick. That's not a penalty. There are already enough little advantages for kicking rather than running, we shouldn't go and invent more. Attempting a kick does not turn the runner into Pope Benedict.

Latest posts