What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Referees Making Up the Rules on the Spot Thread

AJB1102

First Grade
Shouldn't Manly have had a penalty at the end of the match v Newcastle earlier? And the Knights winger sent to the bin for the push in the back? Fine, it wasn't a penalty try, I agree, but...we could have levelled up with a man advantage going into golden point.

Manly should've had a penalty in front before that when a runner was hit without the ball.

ek999

First Grade
Yeah I've never heard that before.

What was Manly penalised for this arvo? I think it was Joel Thompson picked the ball up from the back of the scrum. It sounded like the ref was saying that second rowers couldn't pick the ball up, but DCE was in the sinbin.

Ball isn't out of the scrum until it goes beyond the feet of the 2nd row. Thompson picked up the ball before it had cleared the scrum so it was a penalty. Very technical call and good pick up by the ref.

On the last play of the match, I (unfortunately) agree with T-Boon. Best was committed to the contact before he kicked the ball so it is play on. No different to any other time a player is tackled just after they kick.

Someguy

First Grade
Shouldn't Manly have had a penalty at the end of the match v Newcastle earlier? And the Knights winger sent to the bin for the push in the back? Fine, it wasn't a penalty try, I agree, but...we could have levelled up with a man advantage going into golden point.

we need to ask the question... if it was ponga pushed after kicking would it have been a penalty?

Frailty

First Grade
Yeah I've never heard that before.

What was Manly penalised for this arvo? I think it was Joel Thompson picked the ball up from the back of the scrum. It sounded like the ref was saying that second rowers couldn't pick the ball up, but DCE was in the sinbin.

6 in the scrum, is the rule

When the team has 13 players on the field, it is 6 in the scrum. When there are 12 players, there does not need to be a lock (there can be should the team choose). Think of it this way - There are a maximum allowable 6 players in the scrum, and a maximum allowable 7 players out of the scrum.

As for the Joel Thompson, that is technically true - second rowers are not allowed to pick up the ball and should be penalised for breaking from the scrum early or "Hand in the scrum". The reason for this is the ball can not be played at with the hands until it has exited the scrum, which is defined as the last row of forwards (though wording probably removed forwards now). The lock can pick it up once it passes the last row of forwards (the second row).

Frailty

First Grade
No one kicked the ball. Finucane never had the ball.

You're confusing 2 different things.

No clearly you are. Because we are talking about the Manly-Newcastle game where the kicker was interfered with.

The Finucane-Klemmer one was in front of the posts because that's where the infringement took place.

AJB1102

First Grade
No clearly you are. Because we are talking about the Manly-Newcastle game where the kicker was interfered with.

You're talking about the kicker Best incident. I was was talking about an earlier set midfield about 15-20m out when a Manly player was taken on suspicion.

Exsilium

First Grade
we need to ask the question... if it was ponga pushed after kicking would it have been a penalty?

I feel there was two opportunities to penalise the Knights. The first was the push by Bradman Best and the second from the cover defence taking him out without the ball.

The reaction by Manly prior to it going upstairs was pretty casual. Id have made more of a scene and I believe that Ponga would have tried selling it as a genuine opportunity to score.

gerg

Juniors
Ball isn't out of the scrum until it goes beyond the feet of the 2nd row. Thompson picked up the ball before it had cleared the scrum so it was a penalty. Very technical call and good pick up by the ref.
/QUOTE]

Thank you, I did not know this.

the Knights push in the back was no penalty. He committed to the contact simultaneously with the ball hitting the foot for the kick. That's not a penalty. There are already enough little advantages for kicking rather than running, we shouldn't go and invent more. Attempting a kick does not turn the runner into Pope Benedict.
I still think it was a wrong decision, but it wasn't a howler. Apparently the VAR was introduced to get rid of the howler, mistakes by the VAR are still gonna be made. His heart rate was up, adrenaline flowing a little more, I can understand why the VAR didn't give Manly a penalty.

forby

Juniors
Regardless of when he was kicking you can’t push in the back. You can tackle from behind, but not push in the back!