What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should St George Illawarra end their joint venture?

Should St George Illawarra end their joint venture?

• Total voters

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Thanks for spell correction.
No problem. But the spelling was fine, just the wrong word. In my experience, knowing how to correctly use three letter words helps a lot when trying to form an argument.
So St George exist? What the !
As far as i know end 1998
St George Dragons ceased operating.
Well, with respect, that shows your knowledge is limited on the subject.
Just as well I don't share your view, otherwise I would have no club to support. And that's another point... who can tell me who to support?
New season 1999 until present
St George Illawarra are operating.
Indeed, as a joint venture. And St George are part of that joint venture.
Final point NRL website acknowledges
St George illawarra as an existing liscenced club
lol. Please... is that the same NRL that started in 1998 and counts their records back to the NSWRL in 1908?

And would that be the same NRL that pumped up our 2010 premiership as the first in 31 years?

"They are pretty unique in terms of their history - 11 straight premierships, their present state - they hold all the silverware in the game at the moment..."
David Gallop, NRL CEO (2010)
St George Dragons do not have an NRL liscence and therefore do not exist which also means they cannot expand or add to their succesful list of achievements.
"their?" And you call yourself a Saint.

FYI...
STG-LC-Journal-2010_02_400x.jpg

http://www.jubileeavenue.com.au/history/history_2010_sweet16.php

SaintPauli

Juniors
St George Illawarra have 16 premierships.

It’s really not that hard.

Wests Tigers also have 16.

We should try nab the next one before they do.
Muzby i like your optimism BUT Nrl official website sees otherwise. Good to see your on the same page!

SaintPauli

Juniors
No problem. But the spelling was fine, just the wrong word. In my experience, knowing how to correctly use three letter words helps a lot when trying to form an argument.
Well, with respect, that shows your knowledge is limited on the subject.
Just as well I don't share your view, otherwise I would have no club to support. And that's another point... who can tell me who to support?
Indeed, as a joint venture. And St George are part of that joint venture.
lol. Please... is that the same NRL that started in 1998 and counts their records back to the NSWRL in 1908?

And would that be the same NRL that pumped up our 2010 premiership as the first in 31 years?

"They are pretty unique in terms of their history - 11 straight premierships, their present state - they hold all the silverware in the game at the moment..."
David Gallop, NRL CEO (2010)
"their?" And you call yourself a Saint.

FYI...
STG-LC-Journal-2010_02_400x.jpg

http://www.jubileeavenue.com.au/history/history_2010_sweet16.php
Excellent stuff now forward the leagues club propaganda innacurate journal to Ceo Johnston and ask him to explain why NRL have 1, (one) premiership for St George Illawarrra and clearly distinguish St George Dragons on 15.
No sweet 16 there indicated on "official NRL website." I think as fans we do need clarity on this.

Tbh im pretty pissed hearing outside tosser fans saying we have only 1 premiership. It history, success and pride which I am on about here.

hazzbeen

Bench
I'm all St George proud of our 11 year run , but once it became St George Illawarra it all starts new .... 2010 Premiership that's really it .... Anyway that's my take on it ..... Hope I'm wrong ....

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
I'm all St George proud of our 11 year run , but once it became St George Illawarra it all starts new .... 2910 Premiership that's really it .... Anyway that's my take on it ..... Hope I'm wrong ....

Good opportunity for the joint venture. Aim for 11 premierships in a row and get their names in the history books.

Mind you I'd be happy with three games in a row at this point.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Excellent stuff now forward the leagues club propaganda innacurate journal to Ceo Johnston and ask him to explain why NRL have 1, (one) premiership for St George Illawarrra and clearly distinguish St George Dragons on 15.
Haha.. I've heard that before. It's almost the same argument used by scummer trolls.
No sweet 16 there indicated on "official NRL website." I think as fans we do need clarity on this
You've missed the point entirely. The NRL (established 1998) can contradict themselves 'til the cows come home. As supporters, we decide where our loyalties lie. I support St George and celebrate 16 premierships.

FTR, the Club pressed the NRL to have a continuation of our premiership history some years ago. In an attempt rectify the issue, the Club published Our Proud History in 2002/2003. Robert Stone was instrumental in this, and trust me when I say he had plenty of time to listen to the supporters.

The NRL has never really come to the party on this. We were trying to build a bridge and they just ignore it. Their view is being driven by statisticians, one in particular. IMO, statisticians should never act as historians.

In the UK, they have a completely differently approach to their Rugby League history, and I'm speaking with first hand knowledge in that regard.
Tbh im pretty pissed hearing outside tosser fans saying we have only 1 premiership. It history, success and pride which I am on about here.
Well maybe you should stop backing them up. Ignore the knockers... they're only jealous of what we have.

SaintPauli

Juniors
Haha.. I've heard that before. It's almost the same argument used by scummer trolls.
You've missed the point entirely. The NRL (established 1998) can contradict themselves 'til the cows come home. As supporters, we decide where our loyalties lie. I support St George and celebrate 16 premierships.

FTR, the Club pressed the NRL to have a continuation of our premiership history some years ago. In an attempt rectify the issue, the Club published Our Proud History in 2002/2003. Robert Stone was instrumental in this, and trust me when I say he had plenty of time to listen to the supporters.

The NRL has never really come to the party on this. We were trying to build a bridge and they just ignore it. Their view is being driven by statisticians, one in particular. IMO, statisticians should never act as historians.

In the UK, they have a completely differently approach to their Rugby League history, and I'm speaking with first hand knowledge in that regard.
Well maybe you should stop backing them up. Ignore the knockers... they're only jealous of what we have.
Thanks for the advice Willow. I do get your point and yes there are many people in the NRL who are jealous #ucks when it comes to this great club. They will NEVER understand our passion because they will NEVER emmulate our PROUD HISTORY.

PS Robert Stone was an incredible human being and was Red and White to the core. I believe Johnstone is not far off. Time will tell.
Looking forward to the clubs 100 years celebrations in 2021.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Thanks for the advice Willow. I do get your point and yes there are many people in the NRL who are jealous #ucks when it comes to this great club. They will NEVER understand our passion because they will NEVER emmulate our PROUD HISTORY.

PS Robert Stone was an incredible human being and was Red and White to the core. I believe Johnstone is not far off. Time will tell.
Looking forward to the clubs 100 years celebrations in 2021.
Good stuff. So let's lobby the Club to lobby the NRL. Surely that's an easier hurdle than most other issues facing us supporters.

Saint Pedro

Juniors
With the demerger idea, look at at this way. Do you want the Sydney swans to go back to south Melbourne and leave Sydney? Should the Brisbane lions go back to the bears and Fitzroy lions? Should we take away all the premiership that eastern suburbs won and just not count them because they are called Sydney roosters? Yeah the NRL are f**ken wankers in this regard. South Sydney dropped out of the comp so thus have only one premiership as their current entity as well.

sa1nt5

Juniors
At first I was against the JV I slowly came around however basic logic dictates that Sydney can’t have as many clubs as it has currently. with the right operators we would be a super club the Gordon’s are a joke and should sell their 50% to St George the club should keep the Illawarra identity alive, basically Illawarra has been usurped already anyway. This infighting has caused the malaise we have before us. Whilst these self important muppets jostle for control or power they slowly create our coffin. Without each other we both die to spite the other. The Dragons are busted ass broke we know this but Illawarra couldn’t even afford to maintain their part in the JV so one is not wrong to call us the St George Gordon JV. But if St George can convince our major sponsor to facilitate a loan to buy the Gordon’s out with the bank providing the business plan and a majority board as well as control of the respective leagues clubs so as to merge them into a single St George Illawarra leagues club running as an actual business, given we have a large fan base this model of leagues club can be set up in all capital cities, similar to how brothers leagues club operate in QLD we could then help bank roll a local feeder club in each capital city and NZ , PNG until the loan is repaid in 20 years then the board reverts back to the club I think we come out the other end as not only a success on field but also a business powerhouse off it and a true super club in every sense. This facilitates and grows our fan base wherever the game is played. At the moment we are like Microsoft still in gates’ garage we need vision, big thinkers that are not scared to diversify the game is no longer just local and our team has always been Australia wide. Time to acknowledge this

St Georgio

Juniors
At first I was against the JV I slowly came around however basic logic dictates that Sydney can’t have as many clubs as it has currently. with the right operators we would be a super club the Gordon’s are a joke and should sell their 50% to St George the club should keep the Illawarra identity alive, basically Illawarra has been usurped already anyway. This infighting has caused the malaise we have before us. Whilst these self important muppets jostle for control or power they slowly create our coffin. Without each other we both die to spite the other. The Dragons are busted ass broke we know this but Illawarra couldn’t even afford to maintain their part in the JV so one is not wrong to call us the St George Gordon JV. But if St George can convince our major sponsor to facilitate a loan to buy the Gordon’s out with the bank providing the business plan and a majority board as well as control of the respective leagues clubs so as to merge them into a single St George Illawarra leagues club running as an actual business, given we have a large fan base this model of leagues club can be set up in all capital cities, similar to how brothers leagues club operate in QLD we could then help bank roll a local feeder club in each capital city and NZ , PNG until the loan is repaid in 20 years then the board reverts back to the club I think we come out the other end as not only a success on field but also a business powerhouse off it and a true super club in every sense. This facilitates and grows our fan base wherever the game is played. At the moment we are like Microsoft still in gates’ garage we need vision, big thinkers that are not scared to diversify the game is no longer just local and our team has always been Australia wide. Time to acknowledge this
11 in Row, Jobberjaber!