What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT-Campbell-Gillard joins Eels after gaining release from Panthers

TruSaint

Referee
Reagan Campbell-Gillard will join Parramatta on a five-year deal starting in 2020 after Penrith formally granted the prop a release.

The former Australian forward was contracted to the Panthers until 2024 but the club agreed to cut ties with the 26-year-old to free up salary cap space.

The Eels confirmed Campbell-Gillard's signing on Saturday. The big man will add starch to the club's forward ranks with Tepai Moeroa, Tim Mannah and Manu Ma'u to depart after this season.

"We're continuing to build our roster and the addition of Reagan, a representative forward, is a great fit for our team," Parramatta general manager of football Mark O'Neill said.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/09/14/campbell-gillard-joins-panthers-after-gaining-release-from-eels/

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Hasn't been the same player since the 2 broken jaws.
Not the player we would have been looking for so good luck to the Eels for 5yrs.

Belta

Juniors
Sounds about right. While clubs are actively recruiting players to improve their roster we are playing smokes and mirror games with the whole Gould (bs) review. When will the pain end.

Walpole

Juniors
It's a shame people still believe this 5 year plan myth plastered by the media about Penrith. There was never a 5 year plan in the way it was reported, and the things Gus did there in his time there literally saved the club
Be interesting to see if he makes any attempt to save ours...

hazzbeen

Bench
All teams are behind us 5 year plan rubbish , we have a 12 year plan , way ahead of everyone , in 12 years McGregor will be a Supa Doopa Coach ...

SBD82

Coach
5 years is an absurd gamble.

It may pay off, but when was the last time that Parra made a signing like this and it worked for them?

I’d have been filthy if we had done the same.

BLM01

First Grade
5 years is an absurd gamble.

It may pay off, but when was the last time that Parra made a signing like this and it worked for them?

I’d have been filthy if we had done the same.
Yes him and his home made movies are not needed at our club.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Be interesting to see if he makes any attempt to save ours...
He won’t rule it out he says in an interview with a wry smile. If he can at least push to get the club behind the scenes going as well as Penrith I’m for it. He was a Dragons supporter as a kid and somewhere deep inside would still have the passion for the red V.

Reactions: jak

Dragsters

First Grade
It's a shame people still believe this 5 year plan myth plastered by the media about Penrith. There was never a 5 year plan in the way it was reported, and the things Gus did there in his time there literally saved the club

Totally agree.

Hence the "mythical".

The press run with this sort of crap so they can keep writing the same story each anniversary to fill articles.

They are clearly in much better shape than they were before his time in role.

Love him or loathe him, any club would benefit from someone of his standing and ability in their employ...

Belta

Juniors
He won’t rule it out he says in an interview with a wry smile. If he can at least push to get the club behind the scenes going as well as Penrith I’m for it. He was a Dragons supporter as a kid and somewhere deep inside would still have the passion for the red V.

As much as I try I just can’t see it that way. I guess It is possible that Goulds loyalty may swing back towards the Dragons now he is not affiliated with Penrith, however the fact that he displays a distinct bias against the Dragons in his commentary worries me. It does make me question why of all people, we have turned to him.

Some may say that Gould has a great knowledge of the game. Im certainly not going to argue that point. What I will say is that this announcement has created media hype. I suspect the media hype has and will continue to create a diversion that IMO only serves to conveniently deflect the real issues burdening the club and I have little faith of a result achieving any worthwhile positive outcomes.