What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Realist

Juniors
I don’t rate Ivan Cleary, but I think there’s some good evidence that it was RCG that gave up on himself.

He only played one good year out of three under Hook. So I don’t see how we can lay this at Cleary’s feet.

Ivan has a history of cutting and running on out of form or 'difficult' players rather than motivating/reforming them like Bennett/Hasler/Bellamy so I am in the blame IC camp on this one.

BxTom

Bench
Ivan has a history of cutting and running on out of form or 'difficult' players rather than motivating/reforming them like Bennett/Hasler/Bellamy so I am in the blame IC camp on this one.
RCG played well in his last game - I assume it's because he knew he wasn't going to play Cleary ball any more.

There’s a third option, they could both be to blame.

I just don’t think any coach is going to get $800k of value out of RCG.

I hate this whole thing tbh. I hate all the five year deals that were handed out, I hate the player turnover, I hate that Ivan Cleary is our coach. It’s a pretty low moment to be a panthers fan.

The only hope is we can make some good signings, Apisai was a nice start.

Abacus

Juniors
I don’t rate Ivan Cleary, but I think there’s some good evidence that it was RCG that gave up on himself.

He only played one good year out of three under Hook. So I don’t see how we can lay this at Cleary’s feet.
What? So now he was shit in 2016 too? Came good in 2017, played for Australia, made NSW in 2018, broke his jaw and returned for a half-dozen games where Hook got rissoled.

Then a soft preseason where RCG & most of the team proceeded to play a season unfit, unstructured, ill-disciplined and you're not sure Ivan has any responsibility for the decision to release a player based on their performance (& perceived value for money)? Are you sure you're not actually a WW employee?

What? So now he was shit in 2016 too? Came good in 2017, played for Australia, made NSW in 2018, broke his jaw and returned for a half-dozen games where Hook got rissoled.

Then a soft preseason where RCG & most of the team proceeded to play a season unfit, unstructured, ill-disciplined and you're not sure Ivan has any responsibility for the decision to release a player based on their performance (& perceived value for money)? Are you sure you're not actually a WW employee?

He wasn’t great in 2016, I wouldn’t say he was shit.

2017 is the only really good year he’s had.

There’s a whole heap of space between shit and excellent, even this year he wasn’t shit. But relative to his pay & contract length it wasn’t good.

Where did I suggest Ivan didn’t have any responsibility for releasing him? Of course he did.

franklin2323

Immortal
There’s a third option, they could both be to blame.

I just don’t think any coach is going to get $800k of value out of RCG.

I hate this whole thing tbh. I hate all the five year deals that were handed out, I hate the player turnover, I hate that Ivan Cleary is our coach. It’s a pretty low moment to be a panthers fan.

The only hope is we can make some good signings, Apisai was a nice start.

This for me. RCG was a bench forward when Ivan came so it isn't like he fell away but you can't pay a bench forward that much money. Same to with DWZ getting overs for the wing.

Not the players fault they are on that nor their fault got 5 year deals. For whatever reason weren't playing well and the coach needs to win games and thinks money can be better spent elsewhere

Abacus

Juniors
He wasn’t great in 2016, I wouldn’t say he was shit.

2017 is the only really good year he’s had.

There’s a whole heap of space between shit and excellent, even this year he wasn’t shit. But relative to his pay & contract length it wasn’t good.

Where did I suggest Ivan didn’t have any responsibility for releasing him? Of course he did.
Your comment was that RCG:
only played one good year out of three under Hook.
Nothing about being great or excellent.

You also didn't answer my last question....WW employee? :p

franklin2323

Immortal
Like I said to Herb, something newer & shinier. Why the certainty that RCG can't have impact? Because Ivan couldn't get it from him this year after a lacklustre preseason?

Ivan wouldn't make him back into tackles like he does now though. Less minutes is on Ivan not how he plays

franklin2323

Immortal
RCG was on about 800K a season for 5. Which was too much he was worth 500-600K. We will be paying 400K of that so Parra will be paying 400K for RCG's services. I think he is worth that even in his more ordinary form. If his form improves (under better coaching) Parra have a bargain which we'd be paying for. They aren't taking any real risk, they have far more upside than downside.

Parra have plundered us due to our own stupidity.

No way anyone is dumb enough to agree to pay $2m off the cap for a guy to play somewhere else

GongPanther

Referee
Why is Rhyno on a penrith forum when his team are currently demolishing Brisbane in week 1 of the finals?
Children can simply be cheeky little monkeys at times. Just send her some Draino to snort and some razor blades to chew on after next week's Parra game.

kinghippo

Juniors
They've recruited well with King Katoa, Britt & Stimson.

Hope Katoa kills it. Hasn't been a bigger scapegoat since Griffdawg.
apparently they are after BJ leilua as well, he has been given permission to talk to other clubs.
They could potentially sign rapana and Bj for an instant combo.
I think they are both asking for big money, which probably rules them both out for us.

mxlegend99

Referee
They've recruited well with King Katoa, Britt & Stimson.

Hope Katoa kills it. Hasn't been a bigger scapegoat since Griffdawg.
Bulldogs fans are very happy to have him.

https://www.nospam25.net.au/forum/index.php?threads/bulldogs-sign-sione-katoa-from-panthers.114342/

Im happy for Sione. He either stinks it up for the Bulldogs or kicks on and proves our coaches don't know shit about developing hookers.

I hope he kicks on. Be pretty funny if he had a breakout season and Koroisau flopped.

martielang

Bench
I don't think he'll ever be an elite hooker but I think he's more than handy. Would of made a good 14 for us if we intend on playing Api for long minutes. Kenny is essentially a smaller & more robotic version of Katoa IMO.

I obviously take the piss a lot on here, but genuinely I think he was a victim of our million dollar halves not performing & then being called out on national TV by Johns & Fittler who wanted to protect their NSW halves by putting the blame on somewhere else - enter Sione. It all snowballed from there with people eating up every word they said. Granted he made a few brain dead decisions but if our halves were creating points, he doesn't have the additional pressure / attention on him to try & create something out of nothing & I don't think he makes half those errors.

I just poured my heart out.

betcats

Referee
I don't think he'll ever be an elite hooker but I think he's more than handy. Would of made a good 14 for us if we intend on playing Api for long minutes. Kenny is essentially a smaller & more robotic version of Katoa IMO.

I obviously take the piss a lot on here, but genuinely I think he was a victim of our million dollar halves not performing & then being called out on national TV by Johns & Fittler who wanted to protect their NSW halves by putting the blame on somewhere else - enter Sione. It all snowballed from there with people eating up every word they said. Granted he made a few brain dead decisions but if our halves were creating points, he doesn't have the additional pressure / attention on him to try & create something out of nothing & I don't think he makes half those errors.

Kenny is a much better defender and I think his creativity gets underrated here, he has some nice plays creating tries close to the line.

Fangs

Coach

The criticisms were of the hookers at Penrith in general I thought. Pretty sure I heard one from Johns directly aimed at Egan.

Sad but he was the best hooker at Penrith. It wasn't setting the bar high but I think Katoa will kick on. Kenny might as well but not at hooker, he will probably have a short career. Egan I've got no idea.

YoungPanther

Juniors
Not sure if Ashton or Daz had mentioned before, but Tom Jenkins from here has signed for 2 years to play Flegg.

Is a Centre. Big lad and had a really good year here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts