What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

betcats

Referee
I am also positive about next season. I think Nathan has a lot more development in him and I’m looking forward to seeing how he progresses next season with this as his team.

I think Barrett will be a good influence on Luai and help straighten up his attack and running game, so I’m also looking forward to seeing Nathan and Luai combining in the halves.

We fixed the hooker problem from this year, so that is already a huge plus for next season. And Api will help take some pressure off Nathan and Laui.

And I think Ivan is a better coach than a lot of others on here do, and that he can get the team to bounce back after a disappointing season. And hopefully has addressed the culture and attitude issues.

I think they will make the top 8, even without knowing who we recruit from outside the squad.

Agree about Nathan, I think he developed as the season went on quite nicely and I’m very hopeful Barrett can improve the attack but I won’t be convinced until I see it.

I think Ivan is better then we saw last season for sure but he has to show it next year.

betcats

Referee
Blade told us not to worry, there are signings coming. That's good enough for me.

I mean you wouldn't have expected JWH to be announced yet. If we're keen on one of the Canberra outside backs you wouldn't expect it to have been actioned either. Plenty of players probably taking end of season holidays/breaks slowing things down. Long way to go this offseason.

Yes the worry about no signings yet is over the top imo, the GF is still to come.

Reactions: Bob

betcats

Referee
I’m hopeful Barrett can help our halves & attack in general. Was a terrific footballer. Burton seems almost a carbon copy of Barrett when he was younger.

Its also completely understandable the doom & gloom. We went from knocking on the door of the top 4, leading the comp at times, to shaking hands with the bottom 4 & essentially ripping the heart of the squad (rightly or wrongly). If Hook was still in charge, many of the be positive people would be out with a pitchfork.

Let hook go Marty he got sacked.

BxTom

Bench
Why the big wraps on Barrett coming back? He was here before and Cleary etc have already trained under him. What new things can he teach them? When was the last time Barrett played? How did Manly go under him? And our junior teams under Barrett were not good at all. I don't have any great expectations of Barrett.

betcats

Referee
Why the big wraps on Barrett coming back? He was here before and Cleary etc have already trained under him. What new things can he teach them? When was the last time Barrett played? How did Manly go under him? And our junior teams under Barrett were not good at all. I don't have any great expectations of Barrett.

Being an assistant is different to being a head coach. Jason Taylor failed miserably as a head coach and the roosters hired him as an assistant a few weeks later. If we just need him to work on the attack and not worry about the other shit I’m hopeful he make a difference.

franklin2323

Immortal
If Gus were here we would have more big names on board by now.

This feels like the old days. We are shit kickers again.

Quoting Gus from the Dragons game

"RCG will be the best forward in the game in 2 years"

No way he releases DWZ or Blake either which means no Api... So we are better off

franklin2323

Immortal
Blade told us not to worry, there are signings coming. That's good enough for me.

I mean you wouldn't have expected JWH to be announced yet. If we're keen on one of the Canberra outside backs you wouldn't expect it to have been actioned either. Plenty of players probably taking end of season holidays/breaks slowing things down. Long way to go this offseason.

Last week at a WT forum thing. Pascoe and McGuire said they expect a lot of player movement over the off season. So clearly those in the know have heard the same

franklin2323

Immortal
Being an assistant is different to being a head coach. Jason Taylor failed miserably as a head coach and the roosters hired him as an assistant a few weeks later. If we just need him to work on the attack and not worry about the other shit I’m hopeful he make a difference.

Man management part of it was Barrett's failure. Ivan is the opposite good with that shocking with tactics

franklin2323

Immortal
Some were overs. He probably thought it necessary, until we won a premiership. Then players would all want to be here. Didn't work out.

Still, Gus>Cleary recruitment. This squad has 12th written all over it as it stands.

Brandy over them all...Remember Ivan is part of the 5 recruiting.

mxlegend99

Referee
Quoting Gus from the Dragons game

"RCG will be the best forward in the game in 2 years"

No way he releases DWZ or Blake either which means no Api... So we are better off
Strongly disagree.

For one... Gus loved many players he later released. Carty. Moylan. Peachey. CHN. Plus he never planned on Jimmy seeing out his contract .

Two... Gus would've easily added Api and it wouldn't have cost us anywhere near as much to fit him in.

Gus wouldnt have us paying $1m+ of oyr cap to have guys at other clubs. We're effectively playing with 10% less cap space now. Gus paid overs. But easily sold off regretful investments too.

franklin2323

Immortal
Strongly disagree.

For one... Gus loved many players he later released. Carty. Moylan. Peachey. CHN. Plus he never planned on Jimmy seeing out his contract .

Two... Gus would've easily added Api and it wouldn't have cost us anywhere near as much to fit him in.

Gus wouldnt have us paying $1m+ of oyr cap to have guys at other clubs. We're effectively playing with 10% less cap space now. Gus paid overs. But easily sold off regretful investments too.

Is it any better to pay overs and put juniors on long term deals though? Nothing to show we would be any better off under Gus.. especially as the off season hasn’t even started yet

mxlegend99

Referee
Is it any better to pay overs and put juniors on long term deals though? Nothing to show we would be any better off under Gus.. especially as the off season hasn’t even started yet
Except in almost a decade we offloaded many overpaid players both before and after he arrived never having to pay a cent beyond the first season if atall.

Gus was happy to pay overs because he could easily get rid of players not performing. Having 10% or more of your cap at other clubs is terrible management.

Edit
Let's also not forgot our coach would have been Wayne Bennett if our board didnt overpower Gus and throw him out.

The board has us paying money to Hook, Ivan and Maguire at Tigers. RCG and Blake at Eels. Aswell as DWZ at Bulldogs.

We are now an undesirable club for players to sign with also. No way in hell are we better off.

10Grand

Juniors
We can't announce any signings until after Nov 30 because most of our potential signings are still under contract for 2020 with their respective clubs.
JWH Zane tetevano Masters & Matterson is in my Christmas wish list..

chrisD

Coach
Bennett inherits a very good squad, with last years experience under their belt, gets an improved roster and lucks into an easier finals run. Doesn't improve their results.

In the last decade didn't bring Newcastle or Brisbane a premiership, left their squads in shambles.

Yet for reasons unknown is thought of as a prize.

franklin2323

Immortal
Except in almost a decade we offloaded many overpaid players both before and after he arrived never having to pay a cent beyond the first season if atall.

Gus was happy to pay overs because he could easily get rid of players not performing. Having 10% or more of your cap at other clubs is terrible management.

Edit
Let's also not forgot our coach would have been Wayne Bennett if our board didnt overpower Gus and throw him out.

The board has us paying money to Hook, Ivan and Maguire at Tigers. RCG and Blake at Eels. Aswell as DWZ at Bulldogs.

We are now an undesirable club for players to sign with also. No way in hell are we better off.

How do we know we haven't paid out guys in the past?
What we did hasn't worked clearly

mxlegend99

Referee
How do we know we haven't paid out guys in the past?
What we did hasn't worked clearly
Because the guys contracts were taken over completely.

Carty at Titans. Moylan at Sharks etc.

Jennings we covered some of thefirst year of his contract but nothing beyond that.

I had issue with Gus wanting to pay everyone overs. But atleast he could get rid of them at minimal if any cost to us. Most of the time the players were actually getting upgrades by leaving.

This reality:

Coach: Ivan
Recruitment and Retention: Ivan
Gains: Api Korisau
Losses: DWZ, Blake, Maloney, RCG etc.

Alternate reality if Gus had his way:

Coach: Wayne Bennett
Recruitment and Retention: Gus (Wayne would get asay though)
Gains?
Losses? Guaranteed to be a much shorter list.

We would have been much better off in the realitywhere Gus runs the club still. Very surprised a Cleary hater would think theres any chance we go better

age.s

First Grade
Bennett inherits a very good squad, with last years experience under their belt, gets an improved roster and lucks into an easier finals run. Doesn't improve their results.

In the last decade didn't bring Newcastle or Brisbane a premiership, left their squads in shambles.

Yet for reasons unknown is thought of as a prize.

I would happily take "maintained 2018 results" tbh.

OldPanther

Coach
We can't announce any signings until after Nov 30 because most of our potential signings are still under contract for 2020 with their respective clubs.
JWH Zane tetevano Masters & Matterson is in my Christmas wish list..

If Tetevano comes to the club I'll legit stop supporting them. Guy was guilty of beating his misses on multiple occasions and blamed the NRL.

Status
Not open for further replies.