What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

franklin2323

Immortal
There even more holes now. Minimum $500K of our cap subsidising the wages of DWZ, Blake and RCG for at least 2020 and probably longer in respect of DWZ & Blake.

It will be interesting to see who we bring because I can't help but feeling we may be a little underwhelmed.

DWZ was off contract end of 2020.

We are talking a winger, Centre and bench prop though. Have strengthened hooker to start with.

Whare/Blake get hurt. We need an exemption and move a backrower so even depth guys fix the balance

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
There is a real doom and gloom around this forum. Was it because the club didn't make the finals. I'm not so sure, because i think even when the club made the finals in the previous 3 years a similar level of doom and nashing of teeth was evident.

I'm pleased Api is comming, that was an area where as a club we struggled in 19.

The future I'm not concerned about who might or might not come in 20. Generally there is movement and some folks will bounce into the club.

I am positive for the future, because I suppose that's what I am. I look with hope to the future and a new season.
I think many players will be out to prove a point in the 2020 season.

I just hope to goodness they choose act like grown ups and keep their penis's in their pockets, or at least away from mobile phone.

betcats

Referee
I think so. We'll still sign players of course, because our money is just as good as anyone else's and older players and fringe players gotta eat, but we are going to do very well to convince already polished players in their prime to come here in the search for success.

I think Api fits that bill. 26 or 27 I believe and polished enough at least that he’d start at more than one club.

betcats

Referee
There is a real doom and gloom around this forum. Was it because the club didn't make the finals. I'm not so sure, because i think even when the club made the finals in the previous 3 years a similar level of doom and nashing of teeth was evident.

I'm pleased Api is comming, that was an area where as a club we struggled in 19.

The future I'm not concerned about who might or might not come in 20. Generally there is movement and some folks will bounce into the club.

I am positive for the future, because I suppose that's what I am. I look with hope to the future and a new season.
I think many players will be out to prove a point in the 2020 season.

I just hope to goodness they choose act like grown ups and keep their penis's in their pockets, or at least away from mobile phone.

I’m positive about next season also, I mean we could go easily go like busters again but I think we will see significant improvements.

I take heart from the raiders this year, they were tenth last year and with only a few signings(from memory) none of which would’ve made the average poster round here happy they have had a fantastic year.

betcats

Referee
You know you are struggling to recruit players when Alex Glenn turns you down.
Franklin reckons Walker was coming only for him to stay with Manly on a 1 year deal.
The only signing we have made is Api, thanks to Barrett.
I am just wondering the way Ivan left the Tigers in dishonour last year has made us a no go area unless utterly desperate.
Ivan's lack of success is hardly a draw card for a player seeking success and improvement in his game.

Ivan has improved players, Brooks was the dally m halfback of the year under Ivan last season.

I really doubt that nrl players(outside of some tigers players) would care about the way Ivan was recruited, players know the business, they don’t seem to mind when a player demands more money and then a release such as Klemmer at the start of the year.

If we are finding it harder to sign players I’d say it’s far more likely to do with losing Gus.

franklin2323

Immortal
I’m positive about next season also, I mean we could go easily go like busters again but I think we will see significant improvements.

I take heart from the raiders this year, they were tenth last year and with only a few signings(from memory) none of which would’ve made the average poster round here happy they have had a fantastic year.

Even if we sign no one of note.
DWZ was a winger. To'o is doing a better job. DWZ's versatility is missed but actual wing play is covered.

RCG was a bench prop on big money.

Blake is a loss but given how we play. Getting Api for his money makes us stronger.

The rest of who we lost was a NSW Cup forward pack. Replace them with better FG players.

Fix the fitness and we can make the 8.. Winning the comp though probably a few years away but just keep improving

betcats

Referee
Key point for me though is that he didn't necessarily want to leave Manly - they had no space for him.

Well that’s true. We’ve always struggled to sign very good and great players in their primes, i can only see that changing if we really dominate for a few years which is unlikely.

Glenn staying at the broncs doesn’t mean much tho imo, why would he leave if he had the option of staying? He’s been there his whole career and will likely finish it there now.

betcats

Referee
DWZ was a winger. To'o is doing a better job. DWZ's versatility is missed but actual wing play is covered.

Blake is a loss but given how we play. Getting Api for his money makes us stronger.

The rest of who we lost was a NSW Cup forward pack. Replace them with better FG players.

Fix the fitness and we can make the 8.. Winning the comp though probably a few years away but just keep improving

Yep I think those changes work in our favour, there is potential for the squad to improve from within.

After the way we started this year I’m expecting them to be fitter and at least trying to implement some better attack to start next year. We just need to find a few diamonds in the rough like CNK and Bateman and gf here we come.

Flashstep

Juniors

Would have been a lot smarter keeping DWZ and Blake over Mansour and Whare though, our backline is extremely weak in both defence and attack right now, could have easily used Maloney/RCGs money on Korisau if were not going to sign anyone else.

mxlegend99

Referee
Would have been a lot smarter keeping DWZ and Blake over Mansour and Whare though, our backline is extremely weak in both defence and attack right now, could have easily used Maloney/RCGs money on Korisau if were not going to sign anyone else.
Ivan might have planned to replace these guys. But that only works if we can get players to sign for us.

Thankfully the players rejecting is aren't guys we should want anyway. Maybe we go hard for Scott or Ramien now.

franklin2323

Immortal

In a ideal world yes but who is going to take them and would it fee up enough money? I don't think they would get a buyer though. So no better off need to part with bigger money and names in these cases

Whino

Bench
If you believe the crap in the paper Ramien has been offered a 4 year deal worth $2 million by the Sharks. They just have to get rid of some deadwood to accommodate him.

Crashtest

Juniors

I am also positive about next season. I think Nathan has a lot more development in him and I’m looking forward to seeing how he progresses next season with this as his team.

I think Barrett will be a good influence on Luai and help straighten up his attack and running game, so I’m also looking forward to seeing Nathan and Luai combining in the halves.

We fixed the hooker problem from this year, so that is already a huge plus for next season. And Api will help take some pressure off Nathan and Laui.

And I think Ivan is a better coach than a lot of others on here do, and that he can get the team to bounce back after a disappointing season. And hopefully has addressed the culture and attitude issues.

I think they will make the top 8, even without knowing who we recruit from outside the squad.

Fangs

Coach
If Gus were here we would have more big names on board by now.

This feels like the old days. We are shit kickers again.

Crashtest

Juniors
If Gus were here we would have more big names on board by now.

This feels like the old days. We are shit kickers again.

Gus paid overs though to sign external players, eg Tamou, Merrin, Maloney. And missed out others he was chasing, even with larger offers.

martielang

Bench
I’m hopeful Barrett can help our halves & attack in general. Was a terrific footballer. Burton seems almost a carbon copy of Barrett when he was younger.

Its also completely understandable the doom & gloom. We went from knocking on the door of the top 4, leading the comp at times, to shaking hands with the bottom 4 & essentially ripping the heart of the squad (rightly or wrongly). If Hook was still in charge, many of the be positive people would be out with a pitchfork.

Fangs

Coach
Gus paid overs though to sign external players, eg Tamou, Merrin, Maloney. And missed out others he was chasing, even with larger offers.

Some were overs. He probably thought it necessary, until we won a premiership. Then players would all want to be here. Didn't work out.

Still, Gus>Cleary recruitment. This squad has 12th written all over it as it stands.

age.s

First Grade
Blade told us not to worry, there are signings coming. That's good enough for me.

I mean you wouldn't have expected JWH to be announced yet. If we're keen on one of the Canberra outside backs you wouldn't expect it to have been actioned either. Plenty of players probably taking end of season holidays/breaks slowing things down. Long way to go this offseason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts