What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Discussion

OldPanther

Coach
Brent Naden did his best and while I don’t think he will have a particularly long and successful NRL career he was OK for us, scored some good tries which none of our other current backs would have scored. He made a few mistakes, maybe didn’t deliver a perfect pass to set up a couple of tries but in a side which was poor across the entire 17 shouldn’t be made a scapegoat. I liked his passion and determination, always tried his hardest and sometimes in an underperforming side that is all you can ask for.

You can tell we have become accustomed to being a mediocre team when most of our fanbase talk like this. Storm and Rooster fans/club won't accept anything less than perfection even from rep players.

franklin2323

Immortal
You can tell we have become accustomed to being a mediocre team when most of our fanbase talk like this. Storm and Rooster fans/club won't accept anything less than perfection even from rep players.

Even more so when talking about mediocre players like they are immortals when they get let go

OldPanther

Coach
Even more so when talking about mediocre players like they are immortals when they get let go

I don't know about every player but Moylan was a genuine match winner and Blake was the best centre at the club. For reasons we may need to move on as far as roster management is concerned but we haven't exactly upgraded on them. Storm and Roosters upgrade their spots or at least get an equal when the player starts to lose form. Not us.

franklin2323

Immortal
I don't know about every player but Moylan was a genuine match winner and Blake was the best centre at the club. For reasons we may need to move on as far as roster management is concerned but we haven't exactly upgraded on them. Storm and Roosters upgrade their spots or at least get an equal when the player starts to lose form. Not us.

Who do those teams lock in long term though?

Look at Moylan for example. Played 89 FG games for us. Was fringe rep player and he would of been here until he was 32. On the back of what exactly?

Blake too. Personally I think he has reached his peak. Doesn't create, won't play rep footy and again was locked up until he was 30.

It isn't like we are dominating teams and moving on players that are key players in a dominate team.

We are inconsistent. Error. Penalty ridden side... At some stage it is best to cut the player aside.

Panther Mick

Juniors
I have done a bit reading on backs. Here is what I can work out from the papers and other forums.

Jack Bird: After being linked to us many believe he is headed to the Dragons
BJ Leiliua: Signed till 2020 but can test the market. Linked to the Bulldogs but they have baulked at his rumoured high asking price.
Hymel Hunt; Unsigned but wasn't part of the group of players released by the Knights at seasons end.
Jessie Ramien: Many believe a done deal to the Sharks.
John Morris: Signed till 2020. With the the rumoured arrival of Ramien does that make Morris surplus to requirements? The Sharks could have a Xerri/Ramien centre combo or they may wish to keep the experienced Morris around a for one more year with Xerri on the wing.
Josh Dugan: Under contract but linked with a move to the ESL.
Kurt Capewell: An Ivan favourite. A player that can play centre and backrow. Strongly linked to the Warriors.
The Peach: Has been linked for a return to us - but he will need to lower his asking price by all reports.
Brenko Lee: Unsigned.
Will Chambers: Linked to Japanese rugby.
Curtis Scott: Linked with a few clubs. However, with the departure of Chambers - Melbourne surely wouldn't lose him as well? Back in favour in the finals.
Enari Tuala. Released by the Cowboys.
Jordan Kahu: Unsigned but linked to NZ Rugby.
Javid Bowen: Released by the Cowboys.
M Jennings: Tipped to stay with Parra
Brad Takairangi: Likely to stay with Parra.
Dane Gagai: Exploring options - with a hefty asking price. More a winger than a centre.
Zac Lomax Signed till 2020. Exploring options for 2021. Several suitors lining up.
Euan Aitken: Signed till 2020. Rumoured to be departing the Dragons by years end.
Chris Lawrence. Close to a new deal with the Tigers.
Esan Marsters: An unconfirmed rumour by The Mole that he wanted out a month ago. No news since.
Adam Keighran: Why not? He played centres for us in the lower grades. The Warriors are willing to pay freight to move him on.

Last edited:

betcats

Referee
I have done a bit reading on backs. Here is what I can work out form the papers and other forums.

BJ Leiliua: Signed till 2020 but can test the market. Linked to the Bulldogs but they have baulked at his rumoured high asking price.
Hymel Hunt; Unsigned but wasn't part of the group of players released by the Knights at seasons end.
John Morris: Signed till 2020. With the the rumoured arrival of Ramien does that make Morris surplus to requirements? The Sharks could have a Xerri/Ramien centre combo or they may wish to keep the experienced Morris around a for one more year with Xerri on the wing.
Kurt Capewell: An Ivan favourite. A player that can play centre and backrow. Strongly linked to the Warriors.
The Peach: Has been linked for a return to us - but he will need to lower his asking price by all reports.
Curtis Scott: Linked with a few clubs. However, with the departure of Chambers - Melbourne surely wouldn't lose him as well? Back in favour the in the finals.
Dane Gagai: Exploring options - with a hefty asking price. More a winger than a centre.
Zac Lomax Signed till 2020. Exploring options for 2021. Several suitors lining up.
Euan Aitken: Signed till 2020. Rumoured to be departing the Dragons by years end.
Esan Marsters: An unconfirmed rumour by The Mole that he wanted out a month ago. No news since.
Adam Keighran: Why not? He played centres for us in the lower grades. The Warriors are willing to pay freight to move him on.

That is a solid effort

snickers007

Juniors
Love all the criticism of Naden for having dicks for hands. I mean, it's true, but Dallin also dropped balls and butchered easy tries well into his 3rd and 4th season of first grade.

So seems like we've just got a like for like replacement at a fifth of the cost.

franklin2323

Immortal
Love all the criticism of Naden for having dicks for hands. I mean, it's true, but Dallin also dropped balls and butchered easy tries well into his 3rd and 4th season of first grade.

So seems like we've just got a like for like replacement at a fifth of the cost.

Exactly how I see it too... If he is still doing it in a season or 2 then cut him loose too

panther.mike

Juniors
When the "better" teams offload or sign a player it is to improve their teams chances. and if they remain average they are going backwards. Whereas The riff sign discards and players on the downward slope. Our retention committee and/or scouts are responsible for this. With the amount of juniors we have we could be anything in just 5/6 years. Are we the nursey for everyone else.

age.s

First Grade
Criticism of Naden hasn't been about his hands. They aren't great but his real problem is his defense.

Flashstep

Juniors

It’s a bit easier to expect “perfection” from a team of internationals then it is to expect it out of a 23 year old who just came into first grade, and if this was even true - Mitchell was woeful in his first crack at first grade and would have been out the door, sometimes you need to give players time, also a bit rich coming from a guy who likes to defend Nathan Cleary, at least Naden isn’t on 900k...

Flashstep

Juniors
As for Naden himself personally I think he could be a pretty good winger, and a proper Pre-season will help him a lot I think, now we just need 2 centres... if Hymel Hunt is off contract I think he could be a decent signing, pretty underrated player imo

franklin2323

Immortal
As for Naden himself personally I think he could be a pretty good winger, and a proper Pre-season will help him a lot I think, now we just need 2 centres... if Hymel Hunt is off contract I think he could be a decent signing, pretty underrated player imo

Naden, To'o etc will be much better after a pre season. If same issues in a couple of seasons then time to move on

OldPanther

Coach
It’s a bit easier to expect “perfection” from a team of internationals then it is to expect it out of a 23 year old who just came into first grade, and if this was even true - Mitchell was woeful in his first crack at first grade and would have been out the door, sometimes you need to give players time, also a bit rich coming from a guy who likes to defend Nathan Cleary, at least Naden isn’t on 900k...

You obviously don't know what I said about Cleary. My entire point I've said multiple times is that I'm predicting we will see an improved Cleary in 2020 and if we don't I'll be with @herbert henry1908 and the others who have criticized him.

Mitchell is the best centre in the game who outscored entire teams this year at the SCG. That's why he hasn't received the criticism.

As for Naden himself personally I think he could be a pretty good winger, and a proper Pre-season will help him a lot I think

This I agree with 110%. He looks like he'd be a good Fergo style winger. Big body who would be good with tough carries and finishing off tries and chasing kicks.

Flashstep

Juniors
You obviously don't know what I said about Cleary. My entire point I've said multiple times is that I'm predicting we will see an improved Cleary in 2020 and if we don't I'll be with @herbert henry1908 and the others who have criticized him.

Mitchell is the best centre in the game who outscored entire teams this year at the SCG. That's why he hasn't received the criticism.

This I agree with 110%. He looks like he'd be a good Fergo style winger. Big body who would be good with tough carries and finishing off tries and chasing kicks.

Fair enough on Cleary I pretty much agree with you here but we could be wrong and if we look at it right now he is pretty much the definition of mediocre but he is also likely to be the highest paid player at our club.

As for Mitchell my point was he started first grade very poorly, was bad in defence and had a lot of errors in his game but the roosters stuck by him and gave him time to develop instead of just demanding perfection from him from the start.

The yak

Juniors
I have done a bit reading on backs. Here is what I can work out from the papers and other forums.

Curtis Scott: Linked with a few clubs. However, with the departure of Chambers - Melbourne surely wouldn't lose him as well? Back in favour in the finals.

Good work.
Marsters or Morris would be nice. Even Peachey
Tuala would be worth a punt for some club.
Most likely we will end up with Aitken or nothing.
I like Keighran and would throw him a bone. He can cover a few positions. He would probably need May to leave to be an option in the squad.