What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Discussion

OldPanther

Coach
Oh, that explains why we didn't drop the ball as much. Wait a minute.........

Doing something more doesn't mean you're going to be better. In the cricket they always say you have to train correct technique and to fix your issues rather than put in more time with whatever your bad habits are because you'll just reinforce them.

That's true. Whatever they did was totally f**ked and should never happen again.

Was told that soft training was a massive issue behind our crap 2015 season. Didn't learn his lesson.

Yeah the one thing I liked about Griffin was he pushed the players physically. Can't succeed without it.

age.s

First Grade
Adding up the top 5 at each club on points places us second last. Snugly cushioned next to the Titans who had a real wow of a year.

We didn't have a great year, but I don't think we were the second worst team in the comp.

Makes sense that we'd be a bit underrated here though. Our spine was stinky (mostly) and our forwards were consistently good. We're always going to come out on the wrong end of a system that overrates the spine and underrates forwards.

Fangs

Coach
We didn't have a great year, but I don't think we were the second worst team in the comp.

Makes sense that we'd be a bit underrated here though. Our spine was stinky (mostly) and our forwards were consistently good. We're always going to come out on the wrong end of a system that overrates the spine and underrates forwards.

There are all kinds of reasons as to why the votes panned out that way.

Look at the Bulldogs. Hard to ignore DWZ's form, he basically transformed that side. But their squad was always rated as next to no chance of playing finals football. So they got quite a few sympathy/effort votes from judges.

Its also never a surprise to see the same names each year getting votes e.g. Mansour. He had the worst year of his entire career, but at least the judges know who he is.

'Ahh Penrith won...hmm lets see...Mansour 130m nice, 1 point'.

Perhaps Ruan Sims was the Dally M judge for Penrith's games all year? Who knows.

franklin2323

Immortal
Doing something more doesn't mean you're going to be better. In the cricket they always say you have to train correct technique and to fix your issues rather than put in more time with whatever your bad habits are because you'll just reinforce them.

Yeah the one thing I liked about Griffin was he pushed the players physically. Can't succeed without it.

How many tries did we bomb? I reckon atleast 20. They go as errors and looks worse then it is

forby

Juniors
The Dally M’s are a media popularity contest. The players that get the votes are media darlings, and the judges watch the same teams too many times and have their preconceptions. The old RLW system was a bit fairer where every player gets rated and the scores added up, not just the perceived three best players in a match. Currently a team can get flogged and have a player get a point, but in an evenly fought close game three players from one team get the points.

martielang

Bench
Shows how ineffectively we used Kikau this year as well. Granted he had periods injured, but you think he'd feature in the points nearly every time we won in previous years.

age.s

First Grade
Shows how ineffectively we used Kikau this year as well. Granted he had periods injured, but you think he'd feature in the points nearly every time we won in previous years.

Feel like some of that is on him though. May have been the injury but he didn't seem interested for long periods this year.

TheFrog

Coach
https://leagueunlimited.com/news/34216-live-blog-2019-dally-m-awards/

Penrith's top 5 players at the Dally M's:

Nathan Cleary 10
Dylan Edwards 6
Jarome Luai 5
Josh Mansour 4
James Fisher-Harris 4

Gimme 3 points for Cleary's last game of the season gets him on top. Edwards rewarded for a strong second half to the season. JFH underrated by the judges like most forwards. Bit surprised Maloney doesn't feature, didn't have a great year but he'd be just behind Cleary IMO who set the bar quite low. Mansour had a few old fashioned efforts with his workload. No idea how Luai polled 5 votes.

Adding up the top 5 at each club on points places us second last. Snugly cushioned next to the Titans who had a real wow of a year.

In sum, the Dally M's are a complete joke (as we know) and Penrith's 2019 season was a complete joke (you knew that as well).

Maloney scored four 3's and a 1 for 13 points but lost most of them (at least 9) due to suspensions.

The only game we were really hard done by was the first Tigers game when Andrew Johns saw fit to give the 3 and 2 to players on the losing side. Having said that, it is much easier to notice Maloney putting on attacking moves when he is in form, as he was mid season, than Fisher-Harris and Tamou doing the hard work in the middle. Taumalolo and J Trebojevic get noticed. This is why Cam Smith does so well year in and year out. Rather than give the game any thought, they just give him the points, and that goes for Tedesco as well.

TheFrog

Coach
We need the frog running the dally ms.
A nice unbiased judge I'd be. I don't know why they don't use the RLW system though as it gives a much fairer assessment of the performances of all players. Maybe too hard for ex-footballers or for the average fan to comprehend.

And really, they should have a panel of 10 or so judges who watch every game (on TV in their own homes would be fine). It wouldn't be all that hard to do.

Last edited:

OldPanther

Coach
A nice unbiased judge I'd be. I don't know why they don't use the RLW system though as it gives a much fairer assessment of the performances of all players. Maybe too hard for ex-footballers or for the average fan to comprehend.

And really, they should have a panel of 10 or so judges who watch every game (on TV in their own homes would be fine). It wouldn't be all that hard to do.

Footballers are great on the field and all but only a few are quick between the ears.

betcats

Referee

What you have described sounds like it shouldn't be hard to do but I think the NRL would find a way to make it hard.

As it stands I think we tend to get the right Dally M winner most years, its the team of the year that goes pear shaped for reason I just don't get. Teddy and RTS were deserved winners although I think the top fullbacks have an advantage over a lot of postions because they are returning kicks which means more metres as well as oppurtunities stuff the stat sheet in other areas .

BxTom

Bench

Lol, have the match review committee do it - call it the fantasy Dally M...

TheFrog

Coach
Teddy and RTS were deserved winners
Teddy was always going to win it, even before a ball was kicked. He'll probably win the CCM as well, he's the favourite. It is how things are in Rugby League, when you're hot, you're hot. Personally I think Josh Hodgson was the player most instrumental in lifting the performance of his team over the course of the season. Teddy works off a platform laid by others but he's a dangerous runner, no doubt about that.

Kilkenny

Coach
Brent Naden did his best and while I don’t think he will have a particularly long and successful NRL career he was OK for us, scored some good tries which none of our other current backs would have scored. He made a few mistakes, maybe didn’t deliver a perfect pass to set up a couple of tries but in a side which was poor across the entire 17 shouldn’t be made a scapegoat. I liked his passion and determination, always tried his hardest and sometimes in an underperforming side that is all you can ask for.

Latest posts