What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Elephant in the boom

The calm one

Juniors
What was it again in 17 of the last 20 grand finals either the roosters or storm have appeared. One club caught cheating the other waiting to be caught maybe.
One word makes the problem disappear. DRAFT. If player managers and the players association don't like it, who cares. It's worked for years in the AFL. Honestly they must think the organisation of this code is a joke. Tod it's time to face reality. People wonder how Paul McGregor can hold his job, this moron is worse. Answer me this Tod,
If the AFL have got it wrong and the NRL don't need a DRAFT.
Why, does the AFL attract a bigger $ for television rights.
Why does the AFL attract more corporate $
Why does AFL membership far exceeds NRL membership, supporters.
How does a team in the AFL make the grand final after only seven years in the comp when we have long established teams that have no idea when they will play in a grand final, we are one of them.
Why can an AFL team get more supporters at training than some NRL clubs get at home games. Don't say it's a Victorian thing the Sydney Swans have done it.
The Swans failed to make the semi's this year. So why do they average more attendance at there home games then any NSW based NRL club.
Tod I sincerely apologize for the length of this post. I didn't mean to confuse you. But I am more than willing to supply someone to explain the contents of this post to you and your hierarchy, who have no idea how to comprehend common sense.
My 4 year old niece.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
What was our TPA in 2019, I read it was $26k.
East’s have turned TPA into a goldmine. They sign some players up on a minimal contract to keep them under the CAP
It’s time the NRL addressed the CAP and make teams report how much they received
*Removed*

Aren't we lead to believe that a player can not be under valued/ paid?

We've heard it a million times yet rge Rorters seem to getaway with it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
One word makes the problem disappear. DRAFT. If player managers and the players association don't like it, who cares. It's worked for years in the AFL. Honestly they must think the organisation of this code is a joke. Tod it's time to face reality. People wonder how Paul McGregor can hold his job, this moron is worse. Answer me this Tod,
How does a team in the AFL make the grand final after only seven years in the comp when we have long established teams that have no idea when they will play in a grand final, we are one of them.
Why can an AFL team get more supporters at training than some NRL clubs get at home games. Don't say it's a Victorian thing the Sydney Swans have done it.
The Swans failed to make the semi's this year. So why do they average more attendance at there home games then any NSW based NRL club.
Tod I sincerely apologize for the length of this post. I didn't mean to confuse you. But I am more than willing to supply someone to explain the contents of this post to you and your hierarchy, who have no idea how to comprehend common sense.
My 4 year old niece.

Stay calm, Todd is not going.

Carrera28

Juniors
My 4 year old niece.

Except the NRL Draft was challenged in court by a player and found to be a constraint of trade and not consistent with Australian employment law. It makes it difficult to implement a draft when it will almost certainly be found unenforceable the first time it is challenged.

hazzbeen

Bench
Aren't we lead to believe that a player can not be under valued/ paid?

We've heard it a million times yet rge Rorters seem to getaway with it.
Agree here , they and some other teams are getting away with it .... Either our lot are in a time warp or are not smart operators . So if it is allowed by the NRL and they can't find anything wrong with their books we either smarten and follow the leaders or keep floundering at the bottom of table and become the whipping Boys for the NRL........

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Win bought their share in the club purely because the Steelers club can’t support a team anymore. They seem to play no part for the good and are only there to make sure the Illawarra part of the club gets a fair say. They are just like an annoying independent senator like a Pauline Hanson, or a Greens aligned party in a hung parliament where legislation cannot pass without appeasing their needs somewhat. They don’t seem to contribute anything in terms of finance. They just paid for the privilege of being a massive pain in the arse.
Nothing against the Illawarra side and it is a mutually beneficial relationship with the red v brand and history but good juniors but we need an owner that sees itself as the owner of one team not half a team but one team a legendary team that you can walk into any pub in outback NSW or Qld and undoubtedly bump into an old farmer wearing that famous red v.

18to87

First Grade
My 4 year old niece.
Can you please explain to me what happens when an AFL club develops a young player that turns out to be a stud? Does he go into the draft or can they just promote him to first grade at 18 year old if they wanted?
I've never watched a full AFL game and probably never will but I am curious about how they work the draft.

BLM01

First Grade
My 4 year old niece.
Ok..back to the forest. You have broken your silence and are showing sings of relapse.
Breathe...Breathe...deeper and deeper....focus on your breathing
Be calm to yourself
No DRAFT is coming here
I will answer you this. The whole money base for Melbourne AFL is membership and always has been...besides what else was there to do in Melbourne in winter in the 50's - 80's
Rugby League clubs were propped up by you guessed it....leagues clubs.
Things are changing but YES their administration has and has had far more foresight than the NRL
They also put far more money into grass roots and developing the game out of their normal strongholds better than NRL. That is why the Swans and the Giants will be successes...money was thrown at them to get them off the ground.
Back to the forest for me. I am off to watch the girls today at Homebush.......GO THE DRAGETTES!..and GO THE RAIDERS....and THE JETS

Old Timer

Coach
Except the NRL Draft was challenged in court by a player and found to be a constraint of trade and not consistent with Australian employment law. It makes it difficult to implement a draft when it will almost certainly be found unenforceable the first time it is challenged.
Then the AFL draft must be a myth then?
Are the laws different depending on the game?
Time to tell the NRL players association to create their own infrastructure and run their own game.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Time to tell the NRL players association to create their own infrastructure and run their own game.

Exactly OT, how can it be a "restraint of trade" in NRL but not in AFL? Both would fall under Australian employment law.

BLM01

First Grade
You guys forget one big thing. The AFL like it and no one has or wants to challenge it..big difference.
Their Junior systems are different and not the same set up in the NRL and the spread of the teams and incentives offered to players to relocate are high as propped up by the ARL with living away from home allowances etc etc.
It could happen in the AFL too....if someone wants to take it there.

D4L_Dave

Juniors
Despite the continued insistence otherwise, it's very clear that the salary cap is both poorly designed, as well as poorly policed. The Melbourne Storm 2010 and Canterbury Bulldogs 2002, were stripped of titles for cheating the cap. Neither were discovered by Ian Schubert, yet he continued in that role of salary cap investigator. Both were the result of investigative journalism, therefore,the Storm 2010 and Bulldogs 2002, like the Roosters currently, can claim to have complied on paper with the NRL Salary Cap rules and just as those non-detected salary cap rorts were discovered externally to any NRL mechanism, if the Roosters are to be 'caught Red handed'. it will occur the exact same way. Allegations of Salary Cap cheating are not new regarding the Roosters, the infamous phone discussion between Braith Anasta and Justin Hodges where Hodges was alleged to have boasted how they got away with it (Roosters alluded the Salary Cap policing detection while Bulldogs got caught back in 2002).

That began a run of 3 Grand Final appearances 2002-04, of which given the level of attention and ongoing allegations against the Roosters, it would be very plausible, that a smart operator such as Nick Politis saw what was unfolding and tightened up the methods used to ensure that any extra scrutiny likely to ensue, would discover nothing. If that is how things played out, it's not a stretch to assume that a club who is experienced in hiding fraudulant payments, if that is what is happening, after all this time since no journalist has yet discovered anything, it will take an extrodinary set of circumstances for anything to be discovered.

The most likely source would be the ATO, as like many other financial schemes, the ATO is usually involved all be it, with a similar track record to NRL Salary Cap Policing at times, so I am not holding my breathe although as a resident of Sydney's inner East, I am waiting with baited breathe to see the advertising debuts of Tedesco and Cronk, still after 2 seasons, nothing yet, but I guess we should just take the Roosters word for it

As stated in the article, on the assumption that the Roosters have been legit, what is most disturbing, is if we look at the occasions when clubs are fined for breaching the salary cap and the position on the table of both the year the breach was applied, as well as the previous year. Parramatta being fined for Cap Breaches despite getting Wooden Spoon. That is just the most glaring and insidious of serious Salary Cap design faults. .Very little scrutiny has been applied to the NRL and how this glaringly serious issue of having a Salary Cap, which provides significant advantage to a club with a minuscule juniors base, also a very fickle if not small fan based club. Given that the NRL and ARL Commision, have gone in the opposite direction most recently, it' now up to the fans and take action,because the fans are being deceived and effectively making all NRL Fans of every club complicit by our inaction. It's time to make this farce history, again on the assumption, that the Roosters have been compliant, perhaps it's time for clubs who are penalised for developing talent,of which is primarily Nth Qld, NZ Warriors, Newcastle, STGI Dragons, Gold Coast the Broncos and Raiders get together and look at sharing knowledge on how they can 'Game the system' and stockpile the talent till the NRL have no choice, but to negotiate with those clubs for change.. I am not saying to do another Super League breakaway, that helps no one, but the NRL is clearly more concerned about the fan base of the Sydney Swans to the point that it is disrespecting the fans of the other clubs and ironically it plays right into the hands of the AFL anyway.

I will add that sharing knowledge, doesn't mean not being competitive, nor does it mean collusion. Each clubs can maintain their own competitive advantage however they need to, What I am suggesting is develop a system which is it's own entity, which has the sole purpose of providing third party income for players of the participating clubs,within their clubs catchment area. If the entity is created by agreement and not provided resources, nor contributes directly,nor is funded by the clubs, it would provide a big advantage to the above mentioned clubs, legitimately and most of all bring the corrupt system of salary cap scamming of the perpetrated by favoured clubs on the fans to it's knees. I can think of a few more things to show up the salary scam I won't ;list here, yet!!!!

Last edited:

Old Timer

Coach
You guys forget one big thing. The AFL like it and no one has or wants to challenge it..big difference.
Their Junior systems are different and not the same set up in the NRL and the spread of the teams and incentives offered to players to relocate are high as propped up by the ARL with living away from home allowances etc etc.
It could happen in the AFL too....if someone wants to take it there.
We haven't forgotten anything as the law is the law.
No doubt the NRL did a deal with the players association years ago to ensure that the code survived as if my memory serves me correctly strikes were a potential option.
So the difference is that the NRL allow the players association to dictate the terms by which players will play but the AFL simply say it is our comp, we run it, if you don't like see you later.
As long as the AFL don't capitulate it is well within its rights to say what the laws are that govern their game including how players are part of a draft.
If the restriction of trade rules were looked at with honesty and if they had real teeth then the salary cap wouldn't exist either.
The fact is the NRL administration are soft cocks and pander to players and the high ranking executives of a few clubs and the creation of TPA's to beat the restrictions created by the cap is testimony to that.

SBD82

Coach
We haven't forgotten anything as the law is the law.
No doubt the NRL did a deal with the players association years ago to ensure that the code survived as if my memory serves me correctly strikes were a potential option.
So the difference is that the NRL allow the players association to dictate the terms by which players will play but the AFL simply say it is our comp, we run it, if you don't like see you later.
As long as the AFL don't capitulate it is well within its rights to say what the laws are that govern their game including how players are part of a draft.
If the restriction of trade rules were looked at with honesty and if they had real teeth then the salary cap wouldn't exist either.
The fact is the NRL administration are soft cocks and pander to players and the high ranking executives of a few clubs and the creation of TPA's to beat the restrictions created by the cap is testimony to that.
If you are going to slam the NRL, you could at least learn the reasons that the AFL have a draft and the NRL does not.

SBD82

Coach
My 4 year old niece.
You may as well get her to explain it, this post reads as though she wrote it.

The calm one

Juniors
Ok..back to the forest. You have broken your silence and are showing sings of relapse.
Breathe...Breathe...deeper and deeper....focus on your breathing
Be calm to yourself
No DRAFT is coming here
I will answer you this. The whole money base for Melbourne AFL is membership and always has been...besides what else was there to do in Melbourne in winter in the 50's - 80's
Rugby League clubs were propped up by you guessed it....leagues clubs.
Things are changing but YES their administration has and has had far more foresight than the NRL
They also put far more money into grass roots and developing the game out of their normal strongholds better than NRL. That is why the Swans and the Giants will be successes...money was thrown at them to get them off the ground.
Back to the forest for me. I am off to watch the girls today at Homebush.......GO THE DRAGETTES!..and GO THE RAIDERS....and THE JETS
I am calm mate. Just stating the obvious

Old Timer

Coach
If you are going to slam the NRL, you could at least learn the reasons that the AFL have a draft and the NRL does not.

Your are missing the intent of the post and I am aware of why the NRL draft system broke down and as I said the players association are running the agenda and will not be a part of it so I am more than entitled to have a shot at the NRL for what is a lopsided system.
People saying a draft is a restriction of trade and inferring it’s illegal are clearly incorrect otherwise the AFL would be forced to remove the draft.

SBD82

Coach
Your are missing the intent of the post and I am aware of why the NRL draft system broke down and as I said the players association are running the agenda and will not be a part of it so I am more than entitled to have a shot at the NRL for what is a lopsided system.
People saying a draft is a restriction of trade and inferring it’s illegal are clearly incorrect otherwise the AFL would be forced to remove the draft.
Except that the AFL draft has never been challenged in court.

Come on OT. You don’t have to be a legal expert to understand the difference. Get off your high horse and look at it. You have a good brain when you’re not going off half cocked.

Latest posts