What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Winning/losing off a refs howler

Vic Mackey

Referee
After the Grand Final last night I was talking with some mates about games we'd lost by referee howlers. A few that instantly sprang to mind:

* Losing twice in golden point by penalties for markers being offside

* Three games this year we lost by a try, Anneslly admitted all games the opposition scored a try that shouldn't have been allowed, in fact in the Roosters game he said two shouldn't have been

* Losing when the Broncos scored a try with 14 players on the field, they were docked the 2 points, we get nothing. We missed the semis by 1 point

* Jeremy Smith not being penalised for knees into Tuqiri in 2010 semi with 5 minutes to go, Soward kicked field goal next set. Was charged by MRC the next day

* Going further back a game in 2004 when Matt Utai blatantly knocked on off the kick off, not called, he makes a 60m break, Dogs score next play, we lose by 4. Knock on can't be checked as a tackle had occured

* For the Balmain fans we all remember the ridiculous Bruce Maguire penalty in 89

There were others mentioned, such as a game in Canberra where we lost the penalty count 15-3 and Steve Clarke was dropped the next week. When we copped 8 straight peanlties against us v the Broncos at Campbelltown and the bogan ran on the field to tackle Jarred Maxwell (who was also dropped the next week). However ones that like are more just copping shit, not a game defining howler.

Anyways it then got asked if we've ever WON a game off the back of one. None of us could think of one. Now I totally get that we're all biased Tigers fans on here and either just can't remember them or if there is one think it was correct. However can anyone think of one? I do rememeber the Leichhardt Monday night game v the Knights when Robbie kicked the field goal in golden point, replays showed Heighington who played the ball take out the marker out, apart from that (and even thats debateable) I'm coming up blank

Tigerm

First Grade
Good post, I cant think of one.

But I gotta say last nights effort (the six again) takes the cake as worst decision from refs (NRL backing them) that I have seen. It was f**king disgraceful.
It is something that happens to us.

Vic Mackey

Referee
2016 we had a couple:

Remember the 2 balls in the field v Newcastle? A bomb goes up to Rankin, then Korbin Simms kicks a second loose ball at him, both come to him at the same time and he drops the bomb. Referee says knock on, knights get scrum and score, we lose by 2. Referees boss says it should have been a penalty to us.

Chris Lawrence gets taken out going for a grubber v Storm at Leicchardt. Video ref says sin bin no penalty try. We lose in golden point. Referees boss comes out and says it should have been a penalty try.

We missed the finals by 1 point that year.

simmo1

First Grade
The Warriors semi in 2011 we had a ton of calls go our way but still managed to lose if that counts.

Last edited:

simmo1

First Grade
Wasn't there a GP game against Souths about 15 years ago where the siren didn't go off and they got an extra couple of plays and then scored?

2006 we lost one to Canberra in golden point where Carney went to charge down a field goal attempt (about 5m offside), no penalty called. Bill the next day had a justification along the lines of - he may have been in front of me, but Hodgson still missed the shot so it didn't matter.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Wasn't there a GP game against Souths about 15 years ago where the siren didn't go off and they got an extra couple of plays and then scored?

Yes. It was one of the first golden point games, they forgot to stop it after 5 minutes for halftime thinking it was 10 mins straight. Souths scored a try at something like 5 mins 30 seconds

Let’s face it the refs have been f###ing things up since 1908 including 89,99,and now 2019 grand final that I can remember.

simmo05

Bench
Reading this makes you realise how royally f**ked over we have been since the merger. Some despicable calls there.

macnaz

Staff member
WT v Roosters Semi final, Dwyer shot on JWH made him drop the ball Dwyer falls on the ball and should have been play on , but no a scrum in which the Roosters didnt even pack correctly, then it went against the feed and 9999 out of 10000 it would have been fed again. 3 calls in one moment :(.
We also had a shot clock call against us I think this year from a Benji drop out , and watched another 20 scrum and drop out ones let go in other games.

Vic Mackey

Referee
WT v Roosters Semi final, Dwyer shot on JWH made him drop the ball Dwyer falls on the ball and should have been play on , but no a scrum in which the Roosters didnt even pack correctly, then it went against the feed and 9999 out of 10000 it would have been fed again. 3 calls in one moment :(.
We also had a shot clock call against us I think this year from a Benji drop out , and watched another 20 scrum and drop out ones let go in other games.

With the scrum, didn’t FPN who was packed at prop pick it up? Which is also illegal

That whole thing was a complete debacle

simmo1

First Grade
Reading this makes you realise how royally f**ked over we have been since the merger. Some despicable calls there.

Yep, it makes it even more remarkable that 2005 even happened. They played four great 80min games in the finals with no shit calls, no nervey moments, no brain explosions, nothing. I think we used up all our goodwill with the footy gods that year.

Ron's_Mate

Bench
Worst of all, because Anasta then kicked the winning field goal, some genius at Wests Tigers thought "Let's sign that superstar up"

super_coach

First Grade
After the Grand Final last night I was talking with some mates about games we'd lost by referee howlers. A few that instantly sprang to mind:

* Losing twice in golden point by penalties for markers being offside

* Three games this year we lost by a try, Anneslly admitted all games the opposition scored a try that shouldn't have been allowed, in fact in the Roosters game he said two shouldn't have been

* Losing when the Broncos scored a try with 14 players on the field, they were docked the 2 points, we get nothing. We missed the semis by 1 point

* Jeremy Smith not being penalised for knees into Tuqiri in 2010 semi with 5 minutes to go, Soward kicked field goal next set. Was charged by MRC the next day

* Going further back a game in 2004 when Matt Utai blatantly knocked on off the kick off, not called, he makes a 60m break, Dogs score next play, we lose by 4. Knock on can't be checked as a tackle had occured

* For the Balmain fans we all remember the ridiculous Bruce Maguire penalty in 89

There were others mentioned, such as a game in Canberra where we lost the penalty count 15-3 and Steve Clarke was dropped the next week. When we copped 8 straight peanlties against us v the Broncos at Campbelltown and the bogan ran on the field to tackle Jarred Maxwell (who was also dropped the next week). However ones that like are more just copping shit, not a game defining howler.

Anyways it then got asked if we've ever WON a game off the back of one. None of us could think of one. Now I totally get that we're all biased Tigers fans on here and either just can't remember them or if there is one think it was correct. However can anyone think of one? I do rememeber the Leichhardt Monday night game v the Knights when Robbie kicked the field goal in golden point, replays showed Heighington who played the ball take out the marker out, apart from that (and even thats debateable) I'm coming up blank

What about when a player kicked a second ball at Rankin while trying to defuse a kick ..he drops the ball as he had two coming at him and they award try....think it was at Cambo and think it was Rankin..can’t remember who we were playing

The Rosco

Bench
One more that we were ripped . . . . vs Newcastle 2 seasons ago. 5 minutes to go, I think we were up by 2. Knights have zero interchanges left.
Pearce tears his pec on the far touchline . . . his merkin of a trainer pats his head to indicate a head knock to the ref . . . , Knights get a free interchange . . . the knights merkin that comes on puts up a last tackle, last minute kick to Kenny Dowel . . . aaaand we of course lose.
Mitchell Pearce out for 6 weeks with a torn pec.

simmo05

Bench
One more that we were ripped . . . . vs Newcastle 2 seasons ago. 5 minutes to go, I think we were up by 2. Knights have zero interchanges left.
Pearce tears his pec on the far touchline . . . his merkin of a trainer pats his head to indicate a head knock to the ref . . . , Knights get a free interchange . . . the knights merkin that comes on puts up a last tackle, last minute kick to Kenny Dowel . . . aaaand we of course lose.
Mitchell Pearce out for 6 weeks with a torn pec.
Yep, last season, i think it was jamie buhrer who kicked?

Tigers1986

Juniors
The golden point against Cronulla in 2012 at Leichhardt - the kickoff ricoheted off the goal posts and we got the ball, but one of our players was offside. Benji kicked the winning field goal. Great times.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Bump

Parramatta certainly seem to be the chosen team this year, we all know the NRL love their fairytale. Souths 2014 treatment was on show last night.

One day we’ll get ours.