What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 season

Fangs

Coach
Cleary v Griffin. The battle of the mediocre coaches.

Ivan wins by a hair because he made a grand final. Unfortunately that was years ago and the game is very different now. He needs a bumper year like Ricky Stuart 2019.

betcats

Referee

Ivan wins by a hair because he made a grand final. Unfortunately that was years ago and the game is very different now. He needs a bumper year like Ricky Stuart 2019.

Ivan has a lot left to prove there is no doubt.

ACTPanthers

Bench
Yeah his voice isn’t great. He seems real country to me when he speaks, typical Qlder probably missing a few teeth hahah but I like his thoughts on the game, he doesn’t leave me shaking my head like most commentators.
Hey! I’m country! Ha ha. Agreed though. He’s insight into games is actually really good.

franklin2323

Immortal

I still hold out hope that just one year we will string it together... Hopefully in my lifetime

Pomoz

Bench
This whole "Cleary just wanted to coach his son and he doesn't care if he tears our club apart to do so" is SOOOOOO f**king boring...

Hot tip guys, you're speculating. You have absolutely NO IDEA what Ivans motives are. You don't like him as a coach, and that's fine, but can you please stop saying he is purposely hurting this team just to coach his son... It sounds f**king stupid and, for the most part, is making me lose respect for the (normally) good posters on this forum.

Unless you have a sound bite, or a quoted article where he says he will do anything, including tearing an NRL club apart, to coach Nathan, then please stop.

(FWIW, after this season, I don't really rate IC either. But, I am willing to give him a chance at least)
Calm down ACT. Nobody suggested he wants to tear the club apart. No mens rea implied. However, his ego means he has a complete lack of self awareness on how coaching his son impacts the club and his son. I am accusing him of being an average coach and a selfish leader, not of being evil with bad intentions.

ACTPanthers

Bench
Calm down ACT. Nobody suggested he wants to tear the club apart. No mens rea implied. However, his ego means he has a complete lack of self awareness on how coaching his son impacts the club and his son. I am accusing him of being an average coach and a selfish leader, not of being evil with bad intentions.
Sorry Pomoz, I may have typed my post a little emphatically... but it does irritate me. Even your assertion that he is selfish is speculating. Although, now thinking about it, me saying he isn’t is as well... My point is he was offered a job, and given there were incentives (probably financially and personally), he took it. I honestly don’t think he thought it’d be a detriment to anybody, especially the club. Would you turn down an opportunity for a better financial position, as well as the opportunity to work with a beloved family member? I wouldn’t.

ACTPanthers

Bench
Are you old enough to recall the schubert brothers who played for Wauchope in the 70's, Brithers of Ian.

I was born and raised in Taree supported the mighty mighty Taree Old Bar (the lifesavers) before they went bust in the early 1990's.
Not quite that old sorry lol :joy: Was there very early 80’s. But do remember Ian and going into Retrovision and he’d give us lollipops

I do however remember Old Bar. My cousins played them a bit, couple of big biffs in this games ;)

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Ha ha! To me Port was always the “city” when I was a kid so you must be a bit older than me Frog ;)

We hated Port kids though... arseholes they were

When I was a kid growing up in taree I think it was the late 1960's. At a footy game watching under 18's. My older brother pointed out to me a middle aged (seemed to be) bloke yelling at the team. He said it was Harry Wells the great st george centre who partnered Reg Gasnier in the glory days during the 1950's.

He had moved to Port bought a newsagency at Flynn's beach and was coaching the Port kids.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Not quite that old sorry lol :joy: Was there very early 80’s. But do remember Ian and going into Retrovision and he’d give us lollipops

I do however remember Old Bar. My cousins played them a bit, couple of big biffs in this games ;)

Loved the Bar (even after all these years), My older brother was on the board in the late 1970's. They had the same jersey as the Roosters, but instead of a rooster there was a surf reel. My dad told me that pre 2nd world war all the players had to have their bronze medallian so they could keep fit in summer and take there place on the surf reel at Old Bar Beach.

Latest posts