What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Elephant In The Room For Debate

BLM01

First Grade
Just saw part of this comments from a Channel 9 article (see comment below). If I was Vlandys and or part of the commission or the CEO this is an alarming fact which needs to be addressed if they want expansion and for Junior & bush, park footy to flourish again. I may be alone on this one but I think it should.
I will cop some flack from posting this but as i am heavily involved in the CRL and it is a real issue on all levels for a multitude of reasons. I am passionate about getting the balance back in the game as a whole including the womens for all potential players at all ages and levels.

upload_2019-11-5_11-48-24.png

Just my point is how and why has this been allowed to happen and should it be changed?
I am all for promotion of the International game and giving them opportunity in the limelight for as many countries as they can and whoever can play our game at all levels but it seems their is an inbalance creeping in and it is favouring some nations or races and pushing away others.
I have my thoughts and solutions but happy to read others first for those that think it is an issue for the future.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
It’s probably inevitable, Pacific Islanders are just such supreme athletes, it’s hard to stop someone when they are just as fast, have just as good or better footwork but they are 20 kegs heavier.
I don’t have a solution and am happy to see plenty of islanders playing but it’s just small blokes in general that are getting pushed out of the game of which we have some rippers in Dufty, Sailor, Field and Clune. I wish the rules could change to allow these players to thrive. Maybe dropping the interchanges might work.

BLM01

First Grade
It’s probably inevitable, Pacific Islanders are just such supreme athletes, it’s hard to stop someone when they are just as fast, have just as good or better footwork but they are 20 kegs heavier.
I don’t have a solution and am happy to see plenty of islanders playing but it’s just small blokes in general that are getting pushed out of the game of which we have some rippers in Dufty, Sailor, Field and Clune. I wish the rules could change to allow these players to thrive. Maybe dropping the interchanges might work.

That word "inevitable" is the policy I dont understand and can be changed. There has always been and will always be a place in the game for a 20kg heavier faster person than their opposite.
But the whole fatigue factor has got to be brought back
Here some of my sol;utions;
1. If the NRL change their rules policies of game refereeing to take full control back, management of time wasting and reduce interchange to 4 would be a start.
2. Get rid of the 7 tackle rule
3. Speed the game up around the ruck, clean the ruck and 3 on 1 tackle and get em out quickly but bring back the 5 metre defence rule. That would rid the bash and barge hit up all time.
4. Focus more on promoting getting all parents interested and their kids to play rugby league at teenage years where it is dwindling more up to senior level.Kids 12 and under are still very keen to play the game.
5. Weight for age limits set up to certain ages. Does not mean a 100kg 14 year old plays against open men which is not fair on the kid.

Slackboy72

Coach
Rugby is also a cultural bond for many islander communities. In New Zealand that means rugby union, but in Australia it means rugby union and league with league providing far more opportunity for non-public school kids.

Gareth67

First Grade
It was always going to happen , as said by other members they are so athletic and most are built like big Mack trucks . However there must be a way of ensuring that all teams - whether junior or senior - men or women - city or country have a equal number of islander to home bred players .

That word "inevitable" is the policy I dont understand and can be changed. There has always been and will always be a place in the game for a 20kg heavier faster person than their opposite.
But the whole fatigue factor has got to be brought back
Here some of my sol;utions;
1. If the NRL change their rules policies of game refereeing to take full control back, management of time wasting and reduce interchange to 4 would be a start.
2. Get rid of the 7 tackle rule
3. Speed the game up around the ruck, clean the ruck and 3 on 1 tackle and get em out quickly but bring back the 5 metre defence rule. That would rid the bash and barge hit up all time.
4. Focus more on promoting getting all parents interested and their kids to play rugby league at teenage years where it is dwindling more up to senior level.Kids 12 and under are still very keen to play the game.
5. Weight for age limits set up to certain ages. Does not mean a 100kg 14 year old plays against open men which is not fair on the kid.
Out of all your points, the weight for age limit is the most pertinent in terms of promoting junior football.
The current set up is biased towards kids who are larger and developing/maturing faster than their age peers.
Parents are very reluctant to let their kids play in a game which is lopsided for fear they may get hurt.
The kids confronted with big monster opposition get discouraged and either quit to play another sport or don't start in RL at all.
That's why soccer has such a huge junior platform and RL doesn't.
Make the junior grades fairer and watch the participation grow.
As an aside, I think the race argument doesn't stack up.
The South Pacific and New Zealand have been producing great footballers for a long, long time.
It is not a new phenomena.
The fact they have become much more competitive at international level has to do with the addition of professional coaches and administrators.
That was inevitable because they always had the talent.
NRL and the clubs should be looking to up their game (especially St. George) and not be so concerned about the influx of payers from our South Pacific neighbours.

Old Timer

Coach
"Supreme athletes" hardly they have never won the 100m, 200m, 400m, a hurdle race, the decathlon or a blessed thing in the pool.
The ARL / NRL keep tailoring the game to suit them in other words far too many interchanges and the 10 m rule. The forwards are impact players and that's about it IMO but no doubt they do produce some great wingers.
Go back to a 5m rule and 2 replacements per game and forward their dominance will disappear very quickly and the big nuggety wingers will fins it harder as well.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
It was always going to happen , as said by other members they are so athletic and most are built like big Mack trucks . However there must be a way of ensuring that all teams - whether junior or senior - men or women - city or country have a equal number of islander to home bred players .

That's the problem there, Gareth67.

Do we pick them for their merit or their brain, their size, or for their colour?

I think English football ( PL ) & cricket endeavour to provide a blend of white and coloured players.
Of course, they won't come out and say as such but there's been much talk and evidence of it over the years. Heck, the Poms will even make a South African, England captain if they think they can win it.

When politics get's its claws into sport, its all downhill.
They screwed the scrums, they've screwed the tackles, now they'll screw with who should or shouldn't play.

I'm really glad l was born a baby boomer and got to see rugby league in all its glory before the Bleeding Hearts Society got their hand on our game.

SIR LANCELOT

Juniors
My Point of view is this,

To play for your country you have to be born there.and played football in that country. None of this nonsense stating that your grandparents or your parents should be the deciding factor as to who you play for. Those players not wanting to play for Australia should not be eligible to play in our competitions. Full Stop. They are denying others who would like to do so.

Lancelot:mad::mad::mad:

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
My Point of view is this,

To play for your country you have to be born there.and played football in that country. None of this nonsense stating that your grandparents or your parents should be the deciding factor as to who you play for. Those players not wanting to play for Australia should not be eligible to play in our competitions. Full Stop. They are denying others who would like to do so.

Lancelot:mad::mad::mad:

l tend to have issues with players who play for Australia, then say, Tonga, then...... when it suits them, put their hand up to be selected again for Australia. A certain Cronulla player comes to mind.

possm

Coach
"Supreme athletes" hardly they have never won the 100m, 200m, 400m, a hurdle race, the decathlon or a blessed thing in the pool.
The ARL / NRL keep tailoring the game to suit them in other words far too many interchanges and the 10 m rule. The forwards are impact players and that's about it IMO but no doubt they do produce some great wingers.
Go back to a 5m rule and 2 replacements per game and forward their dominance will disappear very quickly and the big nuggety wingers will fins it harder as well.
I like 10m for both the attacking side and defending side. Give the attacking side time to wind up and execute set plays. I think it would be more entertaining.

When it comes to replacements, I say 10 reserve graders on the bench who have had to play at least 40min in reserve grade. With the rule 'when you come off, you stay off'.

Gareth67

First Grade

Do we pick them for their merit or their brain, their size, or for their colour?

I think English football ( PL ) & cricket endeavour to provide a blend of white and coloured players.
Of course, they won't come out and say as such but there's been much talk and evidence of it over the years. Heck, the Poms will even make a South African, England captain if they think they can win it.

They screwed the scrums, they've screwed the tackles, now they'll screw with who should or shouldn't play.

I'm really glad l was born a baby boomer and got to see rugby league in all its glory before the Bleeding Hearts Society got their hand on our game.

With respect OKB1 colour is not an issue - at all . I cannot see that , what I do see is that the majority of the islanders are huge compared to the home grown product . How many times in the very junior footy have you seen a Aussie lad monstered by a young islander lad - the same age . This is where the disparity is , also where the injuries occur at such an early age .

As tactful as I have attempted to be , I can see that this could lead to a rather distasteful debate on a subject that is totally irrelevant to the original post . That being the case I shall finish by saying that I do understand where BLMO1 is coming from .

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member

Wow...

Just wow...

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
With respect OKB1 colour is not an issue - at all . I cannot see that , what I do see is that the majority of the islanders are huge compared to the home grown product . How many times in the very junior footy have you seen a Aussie lad monstered by a young islander lad - the same age . This is where the disparity is , also where the injuries occur at such an early age .

As tactful as I have attempted to be , I can see that this could lead to a rather distasteful debate on a subject that is totally irrelevant to the original post . That being the case I shall finish by saying that I do understand where BLMO1 is coming from .

I agree with you, mate.

I was relating more about the English PL and how its been an issue for some time.
As you say, its not an issue here as yet and we all certainly hope it doesn't go down the same track.

possm

Coach

For junior grades, the way around the size issue is to have weight grades rather than age grades. Back in the 60s this worked well up until under 17 yrs. We still had long skinny wingers and short stocky forwards but all were within a half a stone of each other.

TruSaint

Referee
For junior grades, the way around the size issue is to have weight grades rather than age grades. Back in the 60s this worked well up until under 17 yrs. We still had long skinny wingers and short stocky forwards but all were within a half a stone of each other.

How can the code, in 2019 regulate weight ? A large set kid at age 17 offers something as does a slightly built child, but in a different role.

Times have changed, the code is now well represented and growing in the pacific rim, but like all players coming up through the ranks, they will be judged on their performance.

It seems to me, that we should be happy that Tonga / Fiji / Samoa / PNG / etc are actively promoting kids to play our game. We can't compete with football ( soccer ), but our neighbours in the pacific islands will ensure the survival of the game globally.

possm

Coach
How can the code, in 2019 regulate weight ? A large set kid at age 17 offers something as does a slightly built child, but in a different role.

Times have changed, the code is now well represented and growing in the pacific rim, but like all players coming up through the ranks, they will be judged on their performance.

It seems to me, that we should be happy that Tonga / Fiji / Samoa / PNG / etc are actively promoting kids to play our game. We can't compete with football ( soccer ), but our neighbours in the pacific islands will ensure the survival of the game globally.
I was only referring to junior football. Once attaining the age of 17, the rules revert to age rather than weight. It worked in my days very well and there is no reason why it won't work these days.

TruSaint

Referee
I was only referring to junior football. Once attaining the age of 17, the rules revert to age rather than weight. It worked in my days very well and there is no reason why it won't work these days.

I know mate what you meant to say. My point is even at under 17's it wont work.