What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

gordynz

Juniors
The release of Matterson looks pretty stupid right about now. I thought by releasing him we had a plan but it looks as though we were laying all our chips on a Latrell or Arrow signature... Weve essentially depleted our squad by releasing two rep players, making two rival clubs stronger while we sit on a heap of useless cash for next season.

The unknown

Juniors
The release of Matterson looks pretty stupid right about now. I thought by releasing him we had a plan but it looks as though we were laying all our chips on a Latrell or Arrow signature... Weve essentially depleted our squad by releasing two rep players, making two rival clubs stronger while we sit on a heap of useless cash for next season.

Could just be a case of short term loss for long term gain. Although we keep saying this, 2021 is basically where we can start fresh again and end the Cleary era.

I get the feeling the jury will be out regarding Madge if we don't make semis next year at the very least

Magpies Forever

Juniors
Could just be a case of short term loss for long term gain. Although we keep saying this, 2021 is basically where we can start fresh again and end the Cleary era.

I get the feeling the jury will be out regarding Madge if we don't make semis next year at the very least

I never thought I;d say it but the jury being out should not be on Maguire- he has been hamstung the entire tenure so far as coach by the dud, high value, long term signings demanded by Cleary and Egan and signed off on by Pascoe- so if the jury is out on anyone, it should be Pascoe.

I'd still extend Maguire for a few more years than what we have- we desperately need coaching stability for a few more seasons. What I reckon is that if we fall flat 2020 season the bells might toll for Pascoe.

BrotherJim05

Bench
I never thought I;d say it but the jury being out should not be on Maguire- he has been hamstung the entire tenure so far as coach by the dud, high value, long term signings demanded by Cleary and Egan and signed off on by Pascoe- so if the jury is out on anyone, it should be Pascoe.

I'd still extend Maguire for a few more years than what we have- we desperately need coaching stability for a few more seasons. What I reckon is that if we fall flat 2020 season the bells might toll for Pascoe.

Agree with what you are saying apart from Pascoe. Yes he signed off on it, but he was very clear he wouldn't interfere with the coaches decisions around recruitment. He has obviously learnt from his mistakes now

gordsy

Juniors
You ever heard of a CEO that has no say on hiring, especially on big money people in the company.
Me either. He was involved in all signings and farked up just as much as IC and the rest of them.
Fingers cross we get some results then piss him off for an organ grinder and he can go be a monkey somewhere else. .

Tigerm

First Grade
If we miss out on LM then I think the whole management team need a rocket up them.

We have seemingly put all our eggs in one basket. Probably a reason why Lomax didn't entertain us.

As for Arrow, Souths have offered him a contract, but no word that we have? Can only assume we didn't want him anyway. More questions to be asked.

These top tier blokes don't come around to often.

Tiger05

First Grade
@Tigerm - I disagree with you. I doubt we put all our eggs into the Latrell basket.

I figure the Dragons have paid a decent amount to Lomax and Arrow won't come cheap. Maybe we aren't prepared to match or exceed those contracts. Personally I'd like Lomax here but I don't think we need Arrow,

Shredder

Juniors
Agree TigerM, made worse by the fact our Chairman made lots of public remarks about how we wanted him and how he was a priority.

They should have just kept silent, like more professional clubs

super_coach

First Grade
The bottom line is, at present we are basically the only club with a large chunk of cap space and still can not land a substantial signing. So how are things going to be any better when we re enter the market place next Year looking for a no1 and a no6 when there are multiple clubs with cap space.

Maybe we need to sign a PR firm to sell our club as a desirable destination because at present we seem to be the Syria of the NRL

Tigerm

First Grade
It's the definition of stupidity, isn't it. "Keep doing the same thing and expecting different results".

I hope we go well, but most of the other players we thought about have moved on.

I remember a Kerry Packer story saying that his management team had hit a snag in a development they were doing where one person didn't want to move, they told KP that they have offered a great offer but no deal. KP went and seen the person and doubled the offer, secured the deal and moved on.

So if we really want LM, then go and sign him FFS.

Crazyperpman

Juniors
By all reports Lomax will be on 600k a year. If he was signed on that amount everyone would be outraged and it regarded as a panic signing after missing out on Latrell.

I agree with others the Matterson release makes no sense at this point but there are still cards to fall into place. I have read Latrell is on 60k a month, if he agreed to terms in November with some club and it is made official in January that club has saved 120k off the cap and the roosters have lost this amount. Just a thought.

The unknown

Juniors

Oh I'm on the Maguire bandwagon all the way. Even if we fall short next year i can see light at the end of the tunnel

Injuries, salary cap penalty and we fell short this year by a missed goal kick infront with a very mediocre squad

Tiger05

First Grade
Massive overs for Lomax, and in the basement Saints will remain, where they belong.

Unless he comes good. I rate him and I think he could turn into a quality player. Then he will be on unders and of course he will either get released or upgraded.

Perth Tiger

Bench
Unless he comes good. I rate him and I think he could turn into a quality player. Then he will be on unders and of course he will either get released or upgraded.

Come in, this is the new NRL. If he comes good and is suddenly worth more than 600k, then his manager will be out there at the first opportunity agitating for a release or upgrade. Players dont stay on unders anymore as we have learnt.

Hoofhearted

Juniors
Buzz Rothfield.JPG

Tweet from Buzz this morning, Andrew Webster also mentioned this morning on the BSB that he believes he'll end up at the Tigers