What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter V'landys - New NRL/ARLC Chairman

Frailty

First Grade
I am confused what is the Chairman's role V the role of the CEO of the NRL???

In a nutshell, the CEO runs the National Rugby League and reports to the ARLC who headed by the Chairman. If the Commission are not happy with the CEO performance they can replace him.

In a good organisation, the Commission will have little to no direct input into the day to day operations.

adamkungl

Immortal
In a nutshell, the CEO runs the National Rugby League and reports to the ARLC who headed by the Chairman. If the Commission are not happy with the CEO performance they can replace him.

In a good organisation, the Commission will have little to no direct input into the day to day operations.

This is a really key point.

The board are meant to set the tone and direction of the organisation, work behind the scenes to secure financial opportunities and business connections, hire and hold to account the CEO of the organisation; with the Chairman being the public face of the board and possibly a tiebreaker in decision making.

The chairman and board should absolutely not be sticking their fingers directly into football operations and demanding specific changes.

TheRam

Coach
Yes, around $80 million has been spent keeping the Storm alive but they are probably the leading rugby league club of this century. “Wasted” according to V’landys – or am I missing something?

20 odd years, 80 million dollars, three average players produced who all qualify for Island nations. It is effectively Brisbane2 playing from Melbourne.

I do not want Melbourne to go and think Perth should be added, but lets not miss this fact, they still produce no players from an entrie state.

I have been going on about this for years and all I get is idiot responses. The facts are, they haven't produced any high end NRL quality players after more then 2 decades and around $100m investment other then 3 Islanders. This I believe is a major fail by any measurement.

I hope thing change soon, or I feel the Storm will become an average team or cellar dweller once Smith retires. They need to be able to shore up their team with home grown juniors to complement their better players and then have the occasional star that comes from there so as the Victorian public can then look at and feel pride and loyalty towards that imports can never match. Lightening striking twice for them and scoring 4 of the best players of a generation all at the same time ain't going to happen. No Smith and no half means sh*t team for the foreseeable future.

I'm surprised they haven't raided the junior ranks of the AFL and tried to nab a few of the more aggressive robust athletes from there. I know the AFL is always looking at the RL junior teams. But Melbourne really need to start producing their own quality to make RL a true alternative and viable option for the kids down there that more kids can look to and it grows from there. .

Perth Red

Post Whore
I have been going on about this for years and all I get is idiot responses. The facts are, they haven't produced any high end NRL quality players after more then 2 decades and around $100m investment other then 3 Islanders. This I believe is a major fail by any measurement.

I

That investment has been in the NRL club, not in grassroots in Melbourne. People seem to be mixing the two up.

In AFL they pump money into making the AFL club a success but dont expect the AFL club to then go off an develop the states jnrs, they pump more money into the grass roots in that state so the AFL club can focus on its business whilst the Jnr development is being sorted by the AFL, or state body.

NRL has this fixation with professional sports clubs being responsible for Jnr development due to its historic narrative of League clubs. Melbourne Storm are responsible for being the best NRL club they can be. NRLVic and NRL are responsible for bringing through Jnrs so the Storm has a flow of talent from 16 onwards to bring into elite development pathways.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
I do think it took them many years to get the pathways correct, much better shape now. NSW juniors they play, QLD seniors, then NRL. Took a long time and the will scout and/steal Qlders unwanted, but good enough.

The get decent crowds, why do none the kids I saw, showing up in by the thousands 10 years not made it?

Perth Red

Post Whore
I do think it took them many years to get the pathways correct, much better shape now. NSW juniors they play, QLD seniors, then NRL. Took a long time and the will scout and/steal Qlders unwanted, but good enough.

The get decent crowds, why do none the kids I saw, showing up in by the thousands 10 years not made it?

Its largely a numbers in numbers out game. 10,000 kids playing = 100 kids making it to NRL. 1000 kids playing = 1 kid making it. If NRL wanted to be serious about getting more kids playing in expansion states they would fund a major schools program, at the moment they largely leave it up to the local amateur clubs to try and attract kids to play.

We've had an elite program in WA for 5 years now and only produced 2 NRL first graders. But we spend around $300k a year on that program, just one LC set up in Sydney would be spending millions. You get what you pay for end of day.

adamkungl

Immortal
The facts are, they haven't produced any high end NRL quality players

Well, they have, dozens in fact, but Smith, Cronk, Inglis, Slater were pretty handy footballers in particular.

The idea that funding a bunch of junior football teams coached by someones dad is professional player development is utter nonsense. The Storm's success, buying very few first graders from other clubs, is proof of the quality of the club's development.

The city of Melbourne not producing any top quality players is a different argument. Ultimately, it is going to take a long time, decades even, for the local competitions to build the culture and football IQ to produce that level of footballer. Pure numbers, money, imported expertise help but only go so far. It takes generational knowledge and culture.

I hope thing change soon, or I feel the Storm will become an average team or cellar dweller once Smith retires. They need to be able to shore up their team with home grown juniors to complement their better players and then have the occasional star that comes from there so as the Victorian public can then look at and feel pride and loyalty towards that imports can never match.

Both of these statements are utter bollocks.

The Storm and Roosters both demonstrate that home grown juniors contribute absolute nothing to a club's chances of success.

And the Storm have crowds better than 90% of the clubs who pride themselves on local juniors.

The long and short of this is - you think the Storm should be run more like the Eels, a club who hasn't won a premiership in over 30 years.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Well, they have, dozens in fact, but Smith, Cronk, Inglis, Slater were pretty handy footballers in particular.

The idea that funding a bunch of junior football teams coached by someones dad is professional player development is utter nonsense. The Storm's success, buying very few first graders from other clubs, is proof of the quality of the club's development.

The city of Melbourne not producing any top quality players is a different argument. Ultimately, it is going to take a long time, decades even, for the local competitions to build the culture and football IQ to produce that level of footballer. Pure numbers, money, imported expertise help but only go so far. It takes generational knowledge and culture.

Both of these statements are utter bollocks.

The Storm and Roosters both demonstrate that home grown juniors contribute absolute nothing to a club's chances of success.

And the Storm have crowds better than 90% of the clubs who pride themselves on local juniors.

Spot on, the fact that the two most successful and well supported clubs in the NRL have very little Jnr development shows what an outdated irrelevance that thinking is. Take away the pokie machines form the other NRL clubs and lets see how committed they are to Jnr development!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Back to V'landys, this bit written after his first presser seems to be way off the mark lol

It may be a while before you see or hear from him again. While his predecessor Peter Beattie shared every move with the world via social media, V’landys doesn’t have a Twitter account. He will do his work in the shadows and leave Greenberg to once again be the face of the organisation.
https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...y/news-story/22254a216b824af508b1710d4e1a6eba

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
would fund a major schools program, at the moment they largely leave it up to the local amateur clubs to try and attract kids to play.
How do you get schools to play it?

I would have no doubt it simply not an option, in most schools for Victorian kid, need government support for that, political will, as well, not sure that wins votes down there.

Perth Red

Post Whore
How do you get schools to play it?

I would have no doubt it simply not an option, in most schools for Victorian kid, need government support for that, political will, as well, not sure that wins votes down there.

A number of ways:
intro programs by DO's (is happenign but nowhere near enough DO's in expansion states)
kit and equipment grants
Insurance covered
Nines and touch festivals
setting up full 13 inter school comps
RL school scholarship programs
coaching programs
and if all else fails pay them with them a "support grant"!

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
I find it hard to find actual sums provided.

I am pretty sure the NSWRL and then NRL do not actually fund schools like Westfields in NSW or the QRL Palm Beach Currumbin, just state funded, maybe I am wrong.

I have no objection to the NRL funding a school, but not sure it works that way at all.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I find it hard to find actual sums provided.

I am pretty sure the NSWRL and then NRL do not actually fund schools like Westfields in NSW or the QRL Palm Beach Currumbin, just state funded, maybe I am wrong.

I have no objection to the NRL funding a school, but not sure it works that way at all.

You're probably right but I was talking about in non RL heartlands. If you want to get traction in states dominated by AFL then you have to put more in. Sadly our new chairman clearly doesn't think that it is worth it.

Eventually league will be played in quarters, there's too much money in it, a 3min commercial break during live play would add an extra 0 to the TV deal.

I'd much rather the NRL try and make money by playing the game in quarters rather than putting an expansion team in Brisbane at the expense of Perth or another new market. A 2nd team in Brisbane would be a decision based purely on $$$ and does zero to expand and grow the game to new markets.

They won't pay extra if the ratings keep going down, and on FTA they are. Why? Mainly because people don't want the ads. It is why they watch it on Fox Sports, Kayo or even the NRL's own streaming service to avoid the advertising (and that is reflected by the growth in people watching games on those services).

Further 4 quarter football makes it easier on players stamina. It reward the less fit teams as they get more rests. I'm old enough to have watched enough four quarter rugby league games at the professional level when the mid-week cup used to be played at Leichhardt Oval to know that from direct observational experience. It actually detracts from the game.

Perth Red

Post Whore
They won't pay extra if the ratings keep going down, and on FTA they are. Why? Mainly because people don't want the ads. It is why they watch it on Fox Sports, Kayo or even the NRL's own streaming service to avoid the advertising (and that is reflected by the growth in people watching games on those services).

Further 4 quarter football makes it easier on players stamina. It reward the less fit teams as they get more rests. I'm old enough to have watched enough four quarter rugby league games at the professional level when the mid-week cup used to be played at Leichhardt Oval to know that from direct observational experience. It actually detracts from the game.

Not to mention less going to games due to lateness of final whistle, they finish too late as it is now for the evening KO's.

adamkungl

Immortal
Harming your product for cash is ultimately a very short sighted, short term play.
You might get more money now, but what do you do when sales decline next time round because fans have clued into the fact they're being taken for a ride?

Springs09

Juniors
Eventually league will be played in quarters, there's too much money in it, a 3min commercial break during live play would add an extra 0 to the TV deal.

I'd much rather the NRL try and make money by playing the game in quarters rather than putting an expansion team in Brisbane at the expense of Perth or another new market. A 2nd team in Brisbane would be a decision based purely on $$$ and does zero to expand and grow the game to new markets.

The NRL is not the whole of rugby league. Playing the game in quarters damages the rest of the sport.

Have to laugh when most of the fanbase seem to want to bring more fatigue into the game yet breaking the games up into quarters is discussed. Half time is already 5 minutes longer than it should be.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
You're probably right but I was talking about in non RL heartlands. If you want to get traction in states dominated by AFL then you have to put more in. Sadly our new chairman clearly doesn't think that it is worth it.
You could be right.

What I could eventually find was NSW public schools a bunch regional teams that are made of players from the various schools in that region. I know Christian schools do the same, account for the carnival spend as part of state government general sports funding.

In Victoria the had the same for VFL bunch of regions carnivals paid by the stat gov.

But only one team from Victoria is payed for in Rugby League and sent to and inerstate carnival, Probably all the players have.

VFL however had a regional setup in NSW, suggesting far more schools offer it.

I am confused what is the Chairman's role V the role of the CEO of the NRL???
Same as any corporation. Westpac, RACQ etc.