What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter V'landys - New NRL/ARLC Chairman

Diesel

Referee
Would they be delaying their announcement until the commission meet when they are in WA for the 9’s?

Vee

First Grade
Would they be delaying their announcement until the commission meet when they are in WA for the 9’s?
Be great if they did but would go against everything they've said all along.

I was at Carrara when Gallop "fished where the fish are".

MugaB

Coach
I dont wanna sound pedantic, but does that newspaper have an editor?
Perth has never had an NRL side
You'd think they'd have a fact checker before printing their content

8116 days indeed, maybe since Superleague

Perth Red

Post Whore
More WA flak for V’landys. How to win friends and influence people lol. Nothing like pssing off RL’s main supporters in the West. And we though Beattie’s Newcastle jersey gaff was bad at beginning of his reign!

A leading Western Australian businessman has refused to give up hope of an expansion side in Perth, vowing to take the fight to the NRL.

In a recent interview outlining his blueprint for possible expansion in the next broadcast deal in 2023, V'landys said his personal view was that the NRL shouldn't waste money investing in diehard AFL states.

The report angered the league community in Western Australia but Peter Cumins, executive deputy chairman of Cash Converters, the first jumper sponsor of the Western Reds, says they are not about to roll over.

Cumins, now a supporter of the grassroots scene in WA, told the Daily Telegraph he has written to all of the commissioners to plead their case while expressing his disgust at V'landys' comments.

"I was gutted; parents, volunteers are gutted," Cumins said.

"What p..... me off even more was we had to read about it in the press.

"It would have been more respectful to hear through the proper channels but he is only one voice on the commission. We'll get in the ears of others."

Cumins was among those interviewed when the NRL sent senior officials to Perth three months ago to investigate the viability of a new franchise.

With the organisation also relaunching the Nines in the Western Australian capital in February, Cumins described V'landys' comments as "garbage".

"Not going to waste money trying to break into a rusted-on AFL state? One of the most successful clubs is the Melbourne Storm and you can't get more rusted-on than Victoria," he told the Daily Telegraph.

"Flying players across the country? WA teams have been doing it successfully for years.

"There's a hard core of us in Perth that won't give up. Every time there is a game here in Perth we'll be rubbing their noses in it."

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/118397458/perth-takes-fight-to-nrl-over-expansion-snub

Perth Red

Post Whore
I dont wanna sound pedantic, but does that newspaper have an editor?
Perth has never had an NRL side
You'd think they'd have a fact checker before printing their content

8116 days indeed, maybe since Superleague

well I guess if clubs can claim to have 12 premierships we can forgive the WA media lol

Wily Ole Dog

Juniors
PVL stirring up the WA press. They’ll pop the champagne when he gives them what they want as if they’ve had an unexpected victory

franklin2323

Immortal
I wonder what type of 2nd tier structure is in place... imagine being player 28 or 30 in that squad and moving all the way over there to leave family behind. To train and play park footy

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yeah i get that, just not sure who exactly PR meant, or was it a general qiss take on any club pre ARL era

point was If we consider the nrl by its nature an extension of all comps that went before then ridiculing the WA media for saying its been 8000 days since we had a “nrl” club is a bit churlish.

T-Boon

Coach
Perth should try playing hard to get. Start flirting with the ESL. The WA Bears in the ESL would be great.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Perth should try playing hard to get. Start flirting with the ESL. The WA Bears in the ESL would be great.

ironically we did, then the nrl said if we don’t take you over we’ll stop your funding and the WA board quit and the nrl took over the WARL and rebranded NRLWA.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Can’t they chat to Twiggy and get him to drop his rugby union fantasty and switch to league?

He's a ruggers man, why would he fund League?

If NRL where smart the day that Twiggy offered the ARU to fund Union juniors nationally and prop up the Force if they kept them in Greenberg should have been on the phone to him offering a plan B of an NRL spot for Western Force if ARU kicked them out. He probably would never have taken it but should have done it and made it public just for laughs. So far he's sunk around $million into his Union folly, imagine if he'd been spending that on a new NRL franchise and Jnr RL in WA! Chuck in Cumins as main sponsor and you have one of the financially strongest clubs in the NRL from day one.

MugaB

Coach
He's a ruggers man, why would he fund League?

If NRL where smart the day that Twiggy offered the ARU to fund Union juniors nationally and prop up the Force if they kept them in Greenberg should have been on the phone to him offering a plan B of an NRL spot for Western Force if ARU kicked them out. He probably would never have taken it but should have done it and made it public just for laughs. So far he's sunk around $million into his Union folly, imagine if he'd been spending that on a new NRL franchise and Jnr RL in WA! Chuck in Cumins as main sponsor and you have one of the financially strongest clubs in the NRL from day one.
If i was twiggy, and ARU said F off force from union, I'd have the team enter NRL straight away, it would have been a raging success story Especially since they could play league overnight, you could even make a movie about it. Instead he wasted time effort and money floating the force in a lop sided comp that no one watches, hell no one watches normal rugby union, what made him think a rival comp would rate

Perth Red

Post Whore
If i was twiggy, and ARU said F off force from union, I'd have the team enter NRL straight away, it would have been a raging success story Especially since they could play league overnight, you could even make a movie about it. Instead he wasted time effort and money floating the force in a lop sided comp that no one watches, hell no one watches normal rugby union, what made him think a rival comp would rate

he doesn’t care, he can afford it as a play thing. He might have if someone had jumped on a plane and come and talked to him.

Diesel

Referee
There are certain factions within the game with their heads so far up their arse that they can’t see what’s good for the game if it means for a short period of time they aren’t getting as big of a slice of the pie that they once did.

franklin2323

Immortal
There are certain factions within the game with their heads so far up their arse that they can’t see what’s good for the game if it means for a short period of time they aren’t getting as big of a slice of the pie that they once did.

Look at the last time we expanded. GC were good for a few seasons then lacked the development pathways needed to be a success to the point where they are now a basket case in RL heartland. I’d rather wait and make sure all is in place.

Brisbane too also but they have a strong 2nd tier comp atleast so have less risk