What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3 month countdown.........

Perth Red

Post Whore
Getting back to the football, the game and the clubs make the majority of there money from TV, and not gate takings these days. So I think me taking out a Foxtel subscription will work out better all round.

Even if its a great match most half baked viewer will turn over when they see 1 bloke surrounded by 8 empty seats.

that’s only if your gates are small. If you’re gates are large you make more money from your fans than tv.

tri_colours

Juniors
that’s only if your gates are small. If you’re gates are large you make more money from your fans than tv.

The NRL give clubs a grant of 13.1 million . More than 10m of that would come From TV. There's no costs involved - its straight out profit.

Gate takings Would'nt be much more than $4m . Minus expenses - Ground hire - insurance - catering - man that marks the lines etc.

And most other revenue streams are only available because of TV.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
The NRL give clubs a grant of 13.1 million . More than 10m of that would come From TV. There's no costs involved - its straight out profit.

Gate takings Would'nt be much more than $4m . Minus expenses - Ground hire - insurance - catering - man that marks the lines etc.

And most other revenue streams are only available because of TV.

like I said the revenue depends on how many people support you. Ticket sales, memberships, food and drink sales, merch sales and more interest from corporates can be huge revenues. Clubs with big fanbases are making 2-3 Times more revenue from fans than their tv contracts in other sports. If you’ve got 15k members and 12k paying fans then sure tv money is going to be more.

The Great Dane

First Grade
rubbish, if unique scenario extreme predictions could be done we wouldn’t have had the gfc.
https://www.intheblack.com/articles...-and-why-we-should-listen-to-them-from-now-on

https://www.businesstoday.in/top-st...cession-and-were-laughed-at/story/283071.html

They, and plenty of others, all managed to predict the GFC, but were all written off as catastrophists and ignored.
there was no status quo for those clubs, by the time they entered the comp in 95 the war was was already underway.
There was a status quo for the minimum standards that it took to operate a club during that time though, so if the new clubs couldn't or weren't meeting those standards then they weren't sustainable, especially in a case like the Reds who had a whole heap of extra expenses on top of the average.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Reality is they never got chance to show if there business model was sustainable or not in a normal environment. We will never know.By the time they entered the comp,athe war was underway and the once in a lifetime scenario was bubbling away. Maybe they’d have all survived and thrived under the ARL, maybe they would have all folded in a few years as the expansion was unsustainable. We will simply never know and have no way of predicting with any confidence.

Diesel

Referee
Less than 2 weeks before the NRL shut up shop for the Christmas break. No word on expansion yet.

When does the commission meet next?

axl rose

Bench
Less than 2 weeks before the NRL shut up shop for the Christmas break. No word on expansion yet.

When does the commission meet next?
Gus called it earlier in the year, a deliberate distraction from other issues going on at the time (De Belin). Said he spoke to a commissioner and they have not even had a discussion about it.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
When they said the report would be presented at the end of the year, they didn't say which year!

Perth Red

Post Whore
So it's now 11 months since the NRL started working on the expansion review and future strategy plan. Supposed to be competed by end of year but with Xmas fast approaching I guess we wont be hearing anything until the New Year now?

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
So it's now 11 months since the NRL started working on the expansion review and future strategy plan. Supposed to be competed by end of year but with Xmas fast approaching I guess we wont be hearing anything until the New Year now?

Well...... I guess they technically have 12 days left....

Maybe the whole review into expansion was a throw away line to sound good and they didn't actually expect anyone to follow up on it

mongoose

Coach

Greenberg is just waiting for a big enough scandal so he can use "expansion news" to take the attention away.

Perth Red

Post Whore

sorry dont have access, read it in the paper this morning. I’ve posted a photo of the article in the Pirates thread.

the good news is that there has actually been a review take place. Also good news is 3 months ago they came to WA and spoke with potential sponsors backers and WA govt. the bad news is the review is finished and presented but the commission want “more detail”.

The Great Dane

First Grade

Perth Red

Post Whore
TBF delaying their decision until they can get more information isn't necessarily a bad thing.

What will be telling is if we never hear about this review again. If the next few months come and go and we don't hear anything then you can be pretty sure that they're sweeping it under carpet.

they’ve been at it for 11 months, how much more info do they need?

The Great Dane

First Grade
they’ve been at it for 11 months, how much more info do they need?

The review has been going for eleven months, the ARLC has just been presented the review, it's natural that they may have questions or may want clarification or more info about something.