What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1st 4 weeks of 2020

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I get that you’re trying to think outside the square, but Merrin defending on the edge is going to get absolutely shredded by any decent half/centre/fullback combo.
Who would you say is the best half/centre/fullback combo in the game right now?

Frank Facer

First Grade
I guess you are right, “prospect” could be taken either way.

That’s a good list of non 1st grade players there, so who would you say are the top prospects in the game right now?

Maybe two groups - best under 25 games and best under 50 games.
Ponga and David Fifita would be the best in the 25 to 50 game category, while Haas would be the best in the under 25 category.

Papenhuyzen could be the next best.

Xerri looks like a great prospect,

Corey Horsburgh is a good prospect who could play origin in the next few years.

Kyle Flanagan is a good prospect, who I think will have a big year playing in Easts star studded team.

Verrils looked very good at hooker for Easts last year. He will probably take over from Friend soon.

I think Lomax is one of the best prospects in the game and I am keen to see how he goes at fullback this year.

I think Robson is a great prospect and I am keen to see how he performs for Nth Qld this year. I think we should have kept him over McInnes.

There are some pretty big rapts on Wakeman from Canterbury.

Dylan Brown is a very good prospect.

Sivo is a great prospect, but I think he is around 25 years old.

I think Lucky will have a breakout year for Wests this year.

There are massive rapts on Pat Carrigan from Brissy.

Brimson is another good prospect.

SBD82

Coach
Who would you say is the best half/centre/fullback combo in the game right now?
One time at Henson park I watched Reg Gasnier playing outside Andrew Johns with Dally Messenger playing fullback.

Back then you could get 3 pies for tuppence. “Give us a tuppence triple!” we’d say. And old Doris would tan our hides if she caught us using too much sauce. I’ll never forget dead horse Doris.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Ponga and David Fifita would be the best in the 25 to 50 game category, while Haas would be the best in the under 25 category.

Papenhuyzen could be the next best.

Xerri looks like a great prospect,

Corey Horsburgh is a good prospect who could play origin in the next few years.

Kyle Flanagan is a good prospect, who I think will have a big year playing in Easts star studded team.

Verrils looked very good at hooker for Easts last year. He will probably take over from Friend soon.

I think Lomax is one of the best prospects in the game and I am keen to see how he goes at fullback this year.

I think Robson is a great prospect and I am keen to see how he performs for Nth Qld this year. I think we should have kept him over McInnes.

There are some pretty big rapts on Wakeman from Canterbury.

Dylan Brown is a very good prospect.

Sivo is a great prospect, but I think he is around 25 years old.

I think Lucky will have a breakout year for Wests this year.

There are massive rapts on Pat Carrigan from Brissy.

Brimson is another good prospect.
You’re flying a bit close to the wind there with Ponga & Fifita as they’re both one game off the limit provided.

If we exclude those two, which three of those prospects should we chase? And if we had to let go 2 first graders and one junior to accommodate them, who would they be?

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
One time at Henson park I watched Reg Gasnier playing outside Andrew Johns with Dally Messenger playing fullback.

Back then you could get 3 pies for tuppence. “Give us a tuppence triple!” we’d say. And old Doris would tan our hides if she caught us using too much sauce. I’ll never forget dead horse Doris.
I think that’s a tall story as we know Johns isn’t playing anymore!

Frank Facer

First Grade
You’re flying a bit close to the wind there with Ponga & Fifita as they’re both one game off the limit provided.

If we exclude those two, which three of those prospects should we chase? And if we had to let go 2 first graders and one junior to accommodate them, who would they be?
Excluding Ponga, Fifita and Ponga, Papenhuyzen and Xerri would be the 2 I would sign out of my list. Our outside backs are our weakness. If we signed Papenhuyzen and Xerri, we would then move Lomax to centre and have a topline fullback and two of the most promising centres in the game.

I am pretty sure Melbourne signed Papenhuyzen long term, but there are reports that Xerri has been shopped around, with Easts being one club mentioned. I am hoping that with Flanno here, he can be the lure to bring Xerri to us.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Excluding Ponga, Fifita and Ponga, Papenhuyzen and Xerri would be the 2 I would sign out of my list. Our outside backs are our weakness. If we signed Papenhuyzen and Xerri, we would then move Lomax to centre and have a topline fullback and two of the most promising centres in the game.

I am pretty sure Melbourne signed Papenhuyzen long term, but there are reports that Xerri has been shopped around, with Easts being one club mentioned. I am hoping that with Flanno here, he can be the lure to bring Xerri to us.
This still doesn’t help us.

We’ve only signed two out of three potentials, but haven’t released anyone.

We’d be screwed from a salary cap perspective.

Who are we releasing?

And who’s your third best prospect we should sign?

Frank Facer

First Grade
This still doesn’t help us.

We’ve only signed two out of three potentials, but haven’t released anyone.

We’d be screwed from a salary cap perspective.

Who are we releasing?

And who’s your third best prospect we should sign?
Haas should have been included in my list in my previous post. He could end up being the best prop I have seen play the game. He is however signed up long term. Who would we release to accommodate those players?
Graham (retiring)
Dufty
Aitken
Lafai
K Sims
Lawrie

Haas is such a standout. If we couldn't sign him, then Horsburgh would probably be my next pick as we need a good prop to replace Graham. Horsburgh was quite impressive at the back end of last year.

kit66

Bench
I get that you’re trying to think outside the square, but Merrin defending on the edge is going to get absolutely shredded by any decent half/centre/fullback combo.

He played a lot of games in the 11 jersey for the Rhinos last year and killed it. If anything he'd stiffen up our defence, it's hard to imagine he'd be any worse than what we displayed last year.

possm

Coach

The suggestion of Lomax being our best solution for fullback in 2020. I predict there will be no doubt in members minds about Lomax's suitability at fullback by seasons end.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Haas should have been included in my list in my previous post. He could end up being the best prop I have seen play the game. He is however signed up long term. Who would we release to accommodate those players?
Graham (retiring)
Dufty
Aitken
Lafai
K Sims
Lawrie

Haas is such a standout. If we couldn't sign him, then Horsburgh would probably be my next pick as we need a good prop to replace Graham. Horsburgh was quite impressive at the back end of last year.
Why are you saying we should release six to sign three though?

Should we be paying overs for the three standouts that require us to release six players?

That would leave us with three spots to fill in our roster. Given that we’ve paid overs for the new guys, who would you see as the best value low $ contract players in the game right now?

Old Timer

Coach
So this is an acquisitions and rising stars thread now?
Could have sworn it was about your selections from the existing team list, why you selected them and how you would manage them over the initial 4 weeks of the competition.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Could have sworn it was about your selections from the existing team list, why you selected them and how you would manage them over the initial 4 weeks of the competition.
Threads evolve, it’s part of the ecosystem of a public forum..

At least we’re not whinging about Mary.

kit66

Bench

I'd give the team I picked at least 4 weeks to gel even if they lost some games. I certainly wouldn't bow to outside pressure the way Mary does. Someone in the media says " Widdop should be fullback " and bang Widdop's fullback or " Norman should be fullback " and bang. Mary's so eager to please. This year I've already heard " Sailor's too good to be left out of the 17 " so you can be sure Mary will play him out of position just to squeeze him in.
Improvements I want to see in the first 4 weeks are 1. a marked improvement in defence, 2. Our halves controlling games and putting us on the front foot rather than being reactive and relying on others to lead the way. 3. Our forwards dominating.
After the initial 4 weeks if any of those 3 areas show deficiencies I'd look to bring in other players or strategies to compensate but that won't include players being played out of position or wholesale changes.

getsmarty

Immortal
I'd give the team I picked at least 4 weeks to gel even if they lost some games. I certainly wouldn't bow to outside pressure the way Mary does. Someone in the media says " Widdop should be fullback " and bang Widdop's fullback or " Norman should be fullback " and bang. Mary's so eager to please. This year I've already heard " Sailor's too good to be left out of the 17 " so you can be sure Mary will play him out of position just to squeeze him in.
Improvements I want to see in the first 4 weeks are 1. a marked improvement in defence, 2. Our halves controlling games and putting us on the front foot rather than being reactive and relying on others to lead the way. 3. Our forwards dominating.
After the initial 4 weeks if any of those 3 areas show deficiencies I'd look to bring in other players or strategies to compensate but that won't include players being played out of position or wholesale changes.

Simple fix re improvements....Bring in a proper coach.

possm

Coach
I firmly believe in the policy of our NRL 17 being picked on form each and every week. There is no room in our squad for players to be complacent.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I firmly believe in the policy of our NRL 17 being picked on form each and every week. There is no room in our squad for players to be complacent.
So if someone has an off week, should they be dropped?

And how would you judge who should come in? Would it be the best performer in the CC or whoever will best compliment the team?

And how would the dropped player earn their spot back? Do they have to wait for someone else to screw up one week?

SBD82

Coach
I used to own an XF falcon. One time I came out of work to find that my dipstick was on the drivers seat, and my gym bag had been taken.

Still went to training that night. Told some of the boys about it, and one of them told me that the dipstick on the XF fits the door locks.

Latest posts