What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Squad Analysis

Gareth67

First Grade
We need to give the man a chance of steering the boys around the park - he will get better at the job as the season wears on . As long as he does not take sloppiness and laziness from his players and tells them in no uncertain terms to pull their socks up when required.

On saying that I realize that it is the coach’s job , but we know what the problem is there . Our saving grace could be , as many others have already suggested is Flanagan , he may be able to have a quiet word with them , perhaps at the next training session .

That could make all the difference not only to McInnes captaincy , but also as to how the team performs overall - just as long as it is done early in the season and not later , whilst the Dragons still have a fighting chance of doing themselves justice.

Old Timer

Coach
Poor Cam Mc Innes drew the short straw to sit next to Mc Fookknuckle at the press conferences.
That's probably one of the things that Widdop will miss most about his time here as I am sure he couldn't believe half of the bullshit coach spluttered out and didn't understand any of the rest of it.
I'm sure GW has plenty of stories to dine out on having endured several seasons of that crap.

Gareth67

First Grade
Poor Cam Mc Innes drew the short straw to sit next to Mc Fookknuckle at the press conferences.
That's probably one of the things that Widdop will miss most about his time here as I am sure he couldn't believe half of the bullshit coach spluttered out and didn't understand any of the rest of it.
I'm sure GW has plenty of stories to dine out on having endured several seasons of that crap.

You are right about that O.T. Widdop’s body language at the post match press conferences said it all , the way the poor chap held onto his elbows with his head bowed low - almost as if he was attempting to swallow himself. But now he has freedom, finally rid of the maestro for good .

redVinme

Bench
You are right about that O.T. Widdop’s body language at the post match press conferences said it all , the way the poor chap held onto his elbows with his head bowed low - almost as if he was attempting to swallow himself. But now he has freedom, finally rid of the maestro for good .

I'd be curious if any mud is throw by wids now he is comfortably away from the nrl. Sowie sure doesn't mind and I'd love widdop to give an honest appraisal of his time here.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors

One personal quality that Gazza had that Cam seems to have as well is the ability to keep a straight face. He'll need that at post match conferences when Mary continues to outsource responsibility to others as to why the footy team lost yet again.

possm

Coach
Possm- I'm assuming you've got your tongue firmly planted in your cheek with option 2- anybody called Young needs to be shown the door at this club yesterday.
Let me ask you, why is Craig Young still part of the administration when he failed so miserably as coach, recruitment officer and now as a member of the Board? I have the answer. It is because Craig Young is a key old boys club power broker who's only aim is to milk the club to the benefit of himself, his son Dean and their factional group.

Why do you think Dean Young was retained as assistant coach after the shocking results of 2019. I'd say the reason is the same as for Mary's retention. All the result of an old boys backroom deal.

BLM01

First Grade
Let me ask you, why is Craig Young still part of the administration when he failed so miserably as coach, recruitment officer and now as a member of the Board? I have the answer. It is because Craig Young is a key old boys club power broker who's only aim is to milk the club to the benefit of himself, his son Dean and their factional group.

Why do you think Dean Young was retained as assistant coach after the shocking results of 2019. I'd say the reason is the same as for Mary's retention. All the result of an old boys backroom deal.
Is not Craig Young still on the BOD? So has not the whole BOD failed miserably as you put it and you can't isolate one member as failing if you don't know their individual role / input I think more what you are saying the whole BOD should be replaced? We will start with a new CEO. I await with baited breath

possm

Coach
Is not Craig Young still on the BOD? So has not the whole BOD failed miserably as you put it and you can't isolate one member as failing if you don't know their individual role / input I think more what you are saying the whole BOD should be replaced? We will start with a new CEO. I await with baited breath
The SGI Board has acted in a strange way on many issues. My take is that Craig Young is the senior advisor on the Board with regard to 'football matters' and his advice is compromised by old boys backroom deals that need to be honoured. But you are right, the whole Board needs to be cleaned out and replacement members act only in the best interest of SGI on and off the field.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
So poss, these “back room deals which need to be honoured” have been mentioned by you for quite some time now..

To the point that they’ve seemingly been in place since before the WIN buyout.

So it seems to me that St George are the ones who have done the deals.

This needs to be stopped (I think you’ll agree).

The best way for that to happen is for St George hand over their share of the licence to Illawarra.

In return, Illawarra can give St George the Steelers club. St George can remain a feeder club for the Illawarra Dragons as well as operating a nice leagues club just across the road from Fortress WIN.

SBD82

Coach
So poss, these “back room deals which need to be honoured” have been mentioned by you for quite some time now..

To the point that they’ve seemingly been in place since before the WIN buyout.

So it seems to me that St George are the ones who have done the deals.

This needs to be stopped (I think you’ll agree).

The best way for that to happen is for St George hand over their share of the licence to Illawarra.

In return, Illawarra can give St George the Steelers club. St George can remain a feeder club for the Illawarra Dragons as well as operating a nice leagues club just across the road from Fortress WIN.
5.5 hours and not even a nibble.

This place has gone downhill.

This Year?

Immortal
With a backline full of losers and mental midgets what could possibly go wrong? At worst it will make the game day threads interesting!

getsmarty

Immortal
aitkene_2nh_8704.jpg

DRAGONS

Aitken playing for new Dragons deal
Author
Troy Whittaker NRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Fri 24 Jan 2020, 12:01 PM

Dragons centre Euan Aitken believes he can regain the form that once had him on the verge of State of Origin selection as he chases a new NRL deal.

The off-contract 24-year-old has received interest from other clubs but wants to remain with St George Illawarra despite a "frustrating" 2019 season.

In 2018, Aitken was locked in a pre-Origin selection battle with James Roberts. Roberts won that contest and the Blues claimed the series.

"I just want to do what I'm capable of. If I leave it all out there and it doesn't come my way, I'm happy with that," Aitken said.

The powerful ball runner's impact was dulled last year; a byproduct of St George Illawarra regularly playing off the back foot.

Aitken noted the Dragons struggled when it came to having possession inside the opposition's 20-metre zone.

remote.axd

McInnes named new Dragons captain

"I felt like I had a lot more to offer, I just probably wasn't getting as many opportunities as I was used to in previous years – and that's a hard thing to take," he said.

"Centre is sometimes a bit of a position where if your team's not performing that well you're not going to get those opportunities.

"I think it's just getting back to performing as a team and on the back of that I can perform anytime.

"I've always got that strong self-belief that I can play great footy."

New recruit Brayden Wiliame is challenging for a centre spot, though he prefers to play on the left side. That creates a likely battle with Tim Lafai, rather than Aitken.

Nonetheless, Aitken considers the pressure of depth a good thing.

"It just pushes you to train harder and get bigger, get stronger and all that so you're at your peak," he said.

For St George Illawarra to flow in attack, Aitken knows their defence must improve.

The Dragons conceded 23.9 points per game last year - only the wooden spoon-winning Titans fared worse.

Aitken said new assistant coach Shane Flanagan has already made a big difference to their structures, aggression and attitude without the ball.

"We want to have that arrogant mindset: that we're going to be the defensive team that's going to be strong and try to ragdoll people," Aitken said.

"I think [Flanagan] is going to be beneficial. It's another mind, who's coached a team to a premiership. So it's always going to be good having a different mindset there.

"I think him and Dean Young are going to get our strengths in our defence."

St George Illawarra will tour bushfire-ravaged towns on the NSW South Coast including Batemans Bay, Narooma and Lake Conjola on January 28-29.

remote.axd

How the Perth NRL Nines will work

It's a cause close to the heart of Aitken, whose home of Pambula was affected by the blazes.

"Our home town didn't get hit as bad as other areas. It's very unfortunate but it's good to see all the positive influences throughout the community and see the Dragons putting on things to help donate money towards the victims that need it," Aitken said.

"They're obviously a catchment area for the Dragons and a rugby league area down there. They support us on the field, so it's time for us as a club to go and support them."

The Dragons have also joined forces with the Illawarra Hawks and Wollongong Wolves for a combined codes bushfire appeal golf day on February 3 at Wollongong Golf Course.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/01/24/aitken-playing-for-new-dragons-deal/

Frank Facer

First Grade
aitkene_2nh_8704.jpg

DRAGONS

Aitken playing for new Dragons deal
Author
Troy Whittaker NRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Fri 24 Jan 2020, 12:01 PM

Dragons centre Euan Aitken believes he can regain the form that once had him on the verge of State of Origin selection as he chases a new NRL deal.

The off-contract 24-year-old has received interest from other clubs but wants to remain with St George Illawarra despite a "frustrating" 2019 season.

In 2018, Aitken was locked in a pre-Origin selection battle with James Roberts. Roberts won that contest and the Blues claimed the series.

"I just want to do what I'm capable of. If I leave it all out there and it doesn't come my way, I'm happy with that," Aitken said.

The powerful ball runner's impact was dulled last year; a byproduct of St George Illawarra regularly playing off the back foot.

Aitken noted the Dragons struggled when it came to having possession inside the opposition's 20-metre zone.

remote.axd

"I felt like I had a lot more to offer, I just probably wasn't getting as many opportunities as I was used to in previous years – and that's a hard thing to take," he said.

"Centre is sometimes a bit of a position where if your team's not performing that well you're not going to get those opportunities.

"I think it's just getting back to performing as a team and on the back of that I can perform anytime.

"I've always got that strong self-belief that I can play great footy."

New recruit Brayden Wiliame is challenging for a centre spot, though he prefers to play on the left side. That creates a likely battle with Tim Lafai, rather than Aitken.

Nonetheless, Aitken considers the pressure of depth a good thing.

"It just pushes you to train harder and get bigger, get stronger and all that so you're at your peak," he said.

For St George Illawarra to flow in attack, Aitken knows their defence must improve.

The Dragons conceded 23.9 points per game last year - only the wooden spoon-winning Titans fared worse.

Aitken said new assistant coach Shane Flanagan has already made a big difference to their structures, aggression and attitude without the ball.

"We want to have that arrogant mindset: that we're going to be the defensive team that's going to be strong and try to ragdoll people," Aitken said.

"I think [Flanagan] is going to be beneficial. It's another mind, who's coached a team to a premiership. So it's always going to be good having a different mindset there.

"I think him and Dean Young are going to get our strengths in our defence."

St George Illawarra will tour bushfire-ravaged towns on the NSW South Coast including Batemans Bay, Narooma and Lake Conjola on January 28-29.

remote.axd

It's a cause close to the heart of Aitken, whose home of Pambula was affected by the blazes.

"Our home town didn't get hit as bad as other areas. It's very unfortunate but it's good to see all the positive influences throughout the community and see the Dragons putting on things to help donate money towards the victims that need it," Aitken said.

"They're obviously a catchment area for the Dragons and a rugby league area down there. They support us on the field, so it's time for us as a club to go and support them."

The Dragons have also joined forces with the Illawarra Hawks and Wollongong Wolves for a combined codes bushfire appeal golf day on February 3 at Wollongong Golf Course.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/01/24/aitken-playing-for-new-dragons-deal/
Well if Aitken has received interest from other clubs, why is he still at our club this year. We should have offloaded him and replaced him with either Scott, Josh Morris for one season or Joey Leilua.