What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Players refusing to sing the National anthem in protest

DIOGENES

Juniors
If they were going to play the Australian anthem shouldn’t they have also played God Defend New Zealand. A verse of the New Zealand anthem is in Maori and as far as I know not a problem for Maoris.
Playing the NZ anthem and not the Australian one would have been quite a statement

Wizardman

First Grade
I have no issue with the national anthem not being played for the all star game nor do I take issue with some indigenous people not singing the national anthem. I used the word "some" as there are indigenous people who have no issue with singing the national anthem.
What I will say is that this will be an issue that will need to be brought to a head at some point. Time for us as a society to remove the barriers that divide us as a nation. The major objection to our anthem is the word "young" being used in the young and free verse. To use the word "young" is inaccurate as indigenous people have occupied Australia for over 60 000 years. The word could easily be replaced with "one" or "strong" with the stroke of a pen.

Canard

Immortal
I have no issue with the national anthem not being played for the all star game nor do I take issue with some indigenous people not singing the national anthem. I used the word "some" as there are indigenous people who have no issue with singing the national anthem.
What I will say is that this will be an issue that will need to be brought to a head at some point. Time for us as a society to remove the barriers that divide us as a nation. The major objection to our anthem is the word "young" being used in the young and free verse. To use the word "young" is inaccurate as indigenous people have occupied Australia for over 60 000 years. The word could easily be replaced with "one" or "strong" with the stroke of a pen.

There is no way the word young is the only "major objection" to the anthem.

kdalymc

Bench
Anthem sucks, and I doubt any of the rednecks having a whinge even stand up at the pub anymore.
BUT, the anthem should only be played at international test games anyway...

not use sport to drive their political beliefs.

To be fair where else would they protest, it's a perfect platform. Would you rather they kept quiet, or put it on their Twitter....

Look at how much taking a knee in NFL has made people aware of black lives matter etc.

Canard

Immortal
Anthem sucks, and I doubt any of the rednecks having a whinge even stand up at the pub anymore.
BUT, the anthem should only be played at international test games anyway...

To be fair where else would they protest, it's a perfect platform. Would you rather they kept quiet, or put it on their Twitter....

Look at how much taking a knee in NFL has made people aware of black lives matter etc.

Not to mention it is and Indigenous game?

What other forum would be appropriate to cast light on indigenous issues?

The Melbourne F1 race??

Wizardman

First Grade
There is no way the word young is the only "major objection" to the anthem.
That word IS the major objection. That word pretty much disregards 60 000 years of indigenous history in Australia. The odd person may have some side issues with different things but make no mistake about the word "young' being the key objection to the national anthem by some indigenous people or groups.

Canard

Immortal
That word IS the major objection. That word pretty much disregards 60 000 years of indigenous history in Australia. The odd person may have some side issues with different things but make no mistake about the word "young' being the key objection to the national anthem by some indigenous people or groups.

Can you show me any evidence of this being the major objection?

Seems you are, I assume inadvertently, trivialising the issue.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I wonder if all the larrikins who enjoyed Roy & HG's coverage were ever outraged about how they treated the anthem during their coverage on Triple J for all those years...

unforgiven

Bench
I think there maybe also a disconnect in what indigenous people view what a country is when compared to the other groups in our country. I think that with the connection to land that indigenous people feel that country to them is the land, people and belonging to that land is crucial in their understanding of what a country is. I think other groups in our country view our country as being about the people, values and beliefs put in place over the last 200 years. I think that maybe why they find the young part to be problematic because they have belonged to this land for a long time.

All this is only my opinion and I may be way off but I feel that the disconnect may come from different ways various cultures identify with country!

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
I still do not get the athem at State of Origin.

Same country.

Why...just why..

Green and Gold v NZ or the Poms yeah.

It is stupid.

Hey above the law, eyeball it.

Not required state v state.

Anyways carry on...

rant over.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Do not even start me on Grand Final.

As if all Aussies....

Hey did you know there is only atmosphere?

I hate you all.

Put a flag on it....wankers.