What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3 month countdown.........

tri_colours

Juniors
The Sydney Shield is the Sydney competition, the NRL is the National competition.

It's in their names mate...

Because the NRL doesn't need 9 clubs in one city, and having 9 clubs in one city is a bad situation for everyone involved.

It's holding the growth of the sport and the competition back, it's stunting the growth of the lower tiers, it's forcing the NRL to invest resources better used elsewhere into Sydney to prop up clubs that can't support themselves because of overcrowding, it isn't even good for the clubs themselves, they'd be much better served playing in a tier where they are actually independently sustainable.

Only because of an accident of history, but again this is a red herring that has nothing to do with the discussion at hand.

Again this is a crappy argument from tradition, just because it always was doesn't mean that it should always be.

LOL, Mister "I don't know or care about anything in the sport outside of the confines of my favorite f**king suburb" is saying that I'm not a real fan!

For your information I've attended hundreds of games, maybe even thousands, I'm not sure of the exact number as I haven't kept count, but frankly people look back on reserve grade with rose tinted glasses (nostalgia is a potent drug) and I still fail to see what reserve grade has to do with discussion about expansion in this context!

I fundamentally disagree with your stance that RL is an inferior sport to Aussie Rules, and that it's incapable of capturing the interests of people outside of it's "heatlands".

With the right people in charge and a bit of determination, RL is definitely capable of mirroring what American Football and Basketball have achieved in the US, and what the AFL is slowly achieving in Australia.

You are literally saying that Sydney clubs have a divine right to a spot in the NRL and you seriously think that I'm the one that sounds entitled?

Before regurgitating the same old crap why don't you tell us how exactly the NRL is propping up Sydney clubs?

And The current day competition has evolved from the one that started in 1908, You seem to have trouble accepting that!

The NRL has a model that brings in $millions each year . The AFL has a similar model that also brings in $millions each year. So where or how is it not working?????????????

AFL is a game restricted to the Southern states, and trying desperately to make inroads into the Eastern states. Why should we or why would we make it easy for them ?

flippikat

Bench
If we expanded any further, we would need to split the comp into 2 divisions.

My biggest concern regarding expansion is that we are already low on quality FBs & halves.
A watered down competition for the sake of expansion is far from being a good idea.
This is why RL needs to spend resources at the ground level to build & foster local talent in the areas where they wish to expand.

If the competition expanded any further I'd like to see two divisions;
Division 1; Sydney clubs.
Division 2; Clubs outside of Sydney.

Two points on that...

1) Of course expansion into non-heartland areas like Perth & Adelaide needs junior development & local competitions (right through to senior grade) underneath it - it makes sense to expand AND broaden the base.. but this can be done simultaneously. An NRL expansion team as the "shop window" and stronger local league structures under it. Perth already has a decent local league system, use lessons from that to beef up Adelaide & Melbourne lower tiers.

2) your idea of a Sydney division and a non-Sydney division is inequitable. You'd have half the competition travelling far more than the other half - it's bad enough now with half the teams in one city, but locking-in all of Sydney clubs' return matches to be cross-town only is a HUGE advantage.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Before regurgitating the same old crap why don't you tell us how exactly the NRL is propping up Sydney clubs?

And The current day competition has evolved from the one that started in 1908, You seem to have trouble accepting that!

The NRL has a model that brings in $millions each year . The AFL has a similar model that also brings in $millions each year. So where or how is it not working?????????????

AFL is a game restricted to the Southern states, and trying desperately to make inroads into the Eastern states. Why should we or why would we make it easy for them ?

they are propping all but one club through the nrl grant. His point was would that $13million a year spent on some clubs be better spent elsewhere?

Afl isn’t restricted at all anymore. It is a national game. dropping a couple of Sydney clubs isn’t going to see afl launch a third Sydney club or see gws suddenly become popular to fans in manly or Cronulla for example.

Meanwhile nrl remains national in name only and still no sign twenty years after retreating that it is ready to once again make a push to become the premier football code in the country.

tri_colours

Juniors
they are propping all but one club through the nrl grant. His point was would that $13million a year spent on some clubs be better spent elsewhere?

Afl isn’t restricted at all anymore. It is a national game. dropping a couple of Sydney clubs isn’t going to see afl launch a third Sydney club or see gws suddenly become popular to fans in manly or Cronulla for example.

Meanwhile nrl remains national in name only and still no sign twenty years after retreating that it is ready to once again make a push to become the premier football code in the country.

No. they are not propping up anything . there paying the people that bring them a shit load of money each year what they are worth! Our clubs grant are no different to any other organisations that brings in this type of money. The AFL for example a base grant of 12M or there about and then they share in $60m or more in what is , in reality handouts

The AFL Is girt by sea.

There no suddenly about it - It take a decade or more. And decades worth of money is what's required not money losing ventures ,

What a load of bullshit. New Zealand , Fiji, PNG. Supporters all over the pacific may think otherwise.

Legion

Juniors
mate your the one who didn’t know that RL has had a competition in perth since 1950! That perth has an elite youth program, that perth has produced two nrl first graders from its sg ball side, that perth has sold out hbf park on 5 occasions, got 34k to a double header and sold out Optus stadium last year for origin, has a schools scholarship program, has consistently won the affiliated states championship for the last two decades, rep team beat the nsw country bulls rep side, has a strong growing club scene with 8 new junior clubs start up in last few years, has over 3500 registered RL players and 20,000 touch footy players etc etc,

but yeh we are the ignorant ones about our game lol.
Perth has produced 2, TWO, NRL first graders in 70 years? Well hold the phones then ........ when Perth can produce over 30 first graders from locals, you know, actually contribute to the game itself, then maybe, just maybe you might have a smidgen of a claim.

Sold out for SOO AND 34k to a double header? Wow, goes to show how many dedicated league supporters from the heartland are willing to travel across the continent. [I'm sure that the 15 locals who turned up also enjoyed themselves]
Undoubtedly good for W.A.s economy, sucking the rest of us dry ...... oh, just like you want to leech off OUR success.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Perth has produced 2, TWO, NRL first graders in 70 years? Well hold the phones then ........ when Perth can produce over 30 first graders from locals, you know, actually contribute to the game itself, then maybe, just maybe you might have a smidgen of a claim.

Sold out for SOO AND 34k to a double header? Wow, goes to show how many dedicated league supporters from the heartland are willing to travel across the continent. [I'm sure that the 15 locals who turned up also enjoyed themselves]
Undoubtedly good for W.A.s economy, sucking the rest of us dry ...... oh, just like you want to leech off OUR success.

again you show your stupidity. I said from our sg ball side, which has been going about 5 years. There have been other nrl players from WA prior to that, but I wouldnt expect you to know that.

first of all you readily admitted you have absolutely zero knowledge about the game in WA, now you want us to believe you know it so well that you have a valid opinion on the merits of nrl expansion there. You are a funny one :)

Perth Red

Post Whore
No. they are not propping up anything . there paying the people that bring them a shit load of money each year what they are worth! Our clubs grant are no different to any other organisations that brings in this type of money. The AFL for example a base grant of 12M or there about and then they share in $60m or more in what is , in reality handouts

The AFL Is girt by sea.

There no suddenly about it - It take a decade or more. And decades worth of money is what's required not money losing ventures ,

What a load of bullshit. New Zealand , Fiji, PNG. Supporters all over the pacific may think otherwise.

tv pays for 8 games a week, not 16 specific clubs involvement.

Legion

Juniors
again you show your stupidity. I said from our sg ball side, which has been going about 5 years. There have been other nrl players from WA prior to that, but I wouldnt expect you to know that.

first of all you readily admitted you have absolutely zero knowledge about the game in WA, now you want us to believe you know it so well that you have a valid opinion on the merits of nrl expansion there. You are a funny one :)
Oh wake up, WA is not even on the radar because we've yet to see a decent player emerge from there or see any valuable contribution.

You enjoy your local competition while watching the big boys comp with envy on the moving picture box [You do have TV in WA, right?]
We don't need another drain on resources. Any WA side would be a perpetual charity case.

If you had any sense you'd be making effort to have the Bears or the Jets relocate to give you any hope of joining. [You know, so you could ride the backs of present supporters]

Last edited:

tri_colours

Juniors
tv pays for 8 games a week, not 16 specific clubs involvement.

If it was as simple as all that I guess rugby could provide them with 8 games and expect to get $2b contracts - There far more geographically based also, surely that must raise there worth even more?

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade

I've been though this with you before, but I'll explain it to you one last time.

The NRL gives the clubs a $13m dollar grant each year, that completely covers the cost of the cap and leaves the clubs with $3m change in their pocket. That creates a situation where clubs don't have to be successful businesses to survive anymore, because the NRL is their Sugar Daddy that makes sure that they'll never go broke.

There're multiple clubs in the competition (and not only Sydney clubs BTW) who would be struggling right now, but aren't because their Sugar Daddy has them covered, and not only is that rewarding mediocrity (or failure) and creating a false sense of stability, but the NRL can't actually afford to be the clubs Sugar Daddy and has had to eat into funds that were earmarked for the grassroots, funds that the grassroots desperately needed.
I have no problem accepting that the national competition grew out of the NSW competition, however that fact doesn't mean that it's in the best interests of the competition for the majority of clubs to be suburban clubs from one city, or that any club has a divine right to be in the competition.
Mate, the NRL is massively underachieving. It's f**king embarrassing how much they are underachieving.

Take the AFL for instance: they have national coverage, crowds that dwarf the NRL's, almost all of their clubs are profitable, etc. Yet despite the fact that the NRL only represents half the country, have absolutely shit crowds, only one of their clubs is profitable annually, etc, they somehow manage to more or less keep pace with the AFL.

Now imagine where the NRL would be if it were run as well as the AFL. Now tell me that the NRL's "model" is successful.

Sure the NRL are making a good living, for now at least, but they could be achieving so much more!

Only trying to make inroads into the "Eastern states", are you high!?

They're making massive inroads into NSW, they dominate Southern NSW now, Western NSW isn't far behind, if they wanted to they could more or less takeover the ACT tomorrow, they already have the largest sports club in Sydney and as every generation goes by they are getting more and more cemented in Sydney, their fan base is talking about Newcastle next and they can afford to bankroll it for as long as it takes.

Mate they are chewing their way across NSW at a reasonable pace, and the NRL is sitting around pretending that if they ignore it it'll go away. The type of growth they have achieved in NSW is unprecedented in the Australian sporting landscape and should scare the shit out of all the other codes.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Oh wake up, WA is not even on the radar because we've yet to see a decent player emerge from there or see any valuable contribution.

Curtis Rona, Bryson Goodwin, Cory Paterson, Waqa Blake and that's just off the top of my head.

You enjoy your local competition while watching the big boys comp with envy on the moving picture box [You do have TV in WA, right?]
We don't need another drain on resources. Any WA side would be a perpetual charity case.
LOL.

$117m a year is pumped into the Sydney clubs by the NRL each year, that is more than goes to the rest of NSW and all the "affiliated" states combined, and you think that a Perth club would be a drain on resources. . .

If you had any sense you'd be making effort to have the Bears or the Jets relocate to give you any hope of joining. [You know, so you could ride the backs of present supporters]

There's plenty of interest from potential backers and sponsors as it is, and if anything linking up with one of Sydney's rejects would probably hurt that interest.

Wily Ole Dog

Juniors
Curtis Rona, Bryson Goodwin, Cory Paterson, Waqa Blake and that's just off the top of my head.

LOL.

$117m a year is pumped into the Sydney clubs by the NRL each year, that is more than goes to the rest of NSW and all the "affiliated" states combined, and you think that a Perth club would be a drain on resources. . .

There's plenty of interest from potential backers and sponsors as it is, and if anything linking up with one of Sydney's rejects would probably hurt that interest.

The G.D has just played old legion off a break again

$117m a year is pumped into the Sydney clubs by the NRL each year, that is more than goes to the rest of NSW and all the "affiliated" states combined, and you think that a Perth club would be a drain on resources. . .:clap::clap:

Legion

Juniors
The G.D has just played old legion off a break again

$117m a year is pumped into the Sydney clubs by the NRL each year, that is more than goes to the rest of NSW and all the "affiliated" states combined, and you think that a Perth club would be a drain on resources. . .:clap::clap:
Gee, keep this up & old Dane will think he has a serious case of hemorrhoids.

Wily Ole Dog

Juniors
Gee, keep this up & old Dane will think he has a serious case of hemorrhoids.

What happened to you wanting to have serious discussions?

geez,you get some counter views thrown at you and you spit the dummy.
I knew you were full of shit taking the moral high ground like you......attempted

you’re a child, leave this discussion to the grown ups. Got join old foggy in the naughty corner

Legion

Juniors

LOL.

Who generates all that money in the first place? It's certainly not from revenue that was generated by Titan v Brisbane/Melbourne/Cowboy games for instance. No one is interested.
It's mainly NSW clubs that generate all that money in the first place.

Yes I'm sure that there's plenty of "potential backers" who would love to jump on the bandwagon to suck resources dry.
They are not offering anything from the goodness of their hearts nor for the benefit of the game.
No-one ever told you not to expect something for nothing?

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore

LOL.

don’t waste your time, the guy has shown himself to be a tool. He didn’t even knowRL is played in WA for goodness sake!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Back to the topic and leaving legion in the dust, next commission meeting is Feb 28th. I wonder if expansion is on the agenda for that one? Now they’ve got the important topics out of the way like captains call and what to do with wayward players maybe they can spend some time looking at this little issue lol.

Legion

Juniors
don’t waste your time, the guy has shown himself to be a tool. He didn’t even knowRL is played in WA for goodness sake!
So 99% of RL supporters are "tools" because we're unaware of WAs sad contribution to RL?
We're not responsible for WAs irrelevance, so no need to resort to cheap insult.

Or is that the WA way? Turn nasty when you're told no?

Perth Red

Post Whore
If it was as simple as all that I guess rugby could provide them with 8 games and expect to get $2b contracts - There far more geographically based also, surely that must raise there worth even more?

1995 showed my point. When fox wanted RL it didn’t want 14 Sydney clubs, it’s proposal was for 5 plus a more national comp. more people watch the games on tv from outside of Sydney than from Sydney. Sydney is without doubt the most valuable market for nrl but to suggest it needs that many clubs at the expense of a greater capital city reach is a stretch imo.

Perth Red

Post Whore
So 99% of RL supporters are "tools" because we're unaware of WAs sad contribution to RL?
We're not responsible for WAs irrelevance, so no need to resort to cheap insult.

Or is that the WA way? Turn nasty when you're told no?

Im pretty confident 99% of RL supporters are not as ignorant as you lol.