What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Israel folau

taste2taste

Juniors
It looks like the outcome of the clubs crisis meeting is that in future the super league will have a greater say in who clubs can sign.

Amazing this wasn't already in place :/

If a sponsor does drop out you would think Israel's contract will be ripped up. Hopefully he doesn't take legal action for unfair dismissal.

I can't remember a topic being so 50/50 split in opinions. The SL is damned if they do and damned if they don't.

Last edited:

Pommy

Coach
They didn't seem all that fussed about the other degenerate NRL rejects that have paraded through Super League since forever. Ben Barba won MOS 2 years ago ffs
A brainwashed religious nut who believes gays are going to a fantasy land is the straw that breaks the camels back?
Spare me.
Any of these clubs would throw their grandmother under a bus if it got them 4 extra away fans through the gate to buy a pie and coke.

The thing is sponsors aren’t as likely to withdraw because of the other degenerates. It’s a total false equivalency that still seems to be lost on everyone.

Springs09

Juniors
The thing is sponsors aren’t as likely to withdraw because of the other degenerates. It’s a total false equivalency that still seems to be lost on everyone.

Yeah they're more likely to withdraw because a player stuffs up a welcome to country speech.

How likely are other clubs sponsors to withdraw because of Folau? 50-1? (which would be ridiculous, 'we're withdrawing sponsorship because you are playing against a player we don't like')

How likely are sponsors to withdraw because their club signed Barba or Carney or Bird or Lui? 70-1?

Neither are likely to withdraw, it's complete rubbish. No club sponsors have worried about their team signing convicted criminals, bunch of hypocrites.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Neither are likely to withdraw, it's complete rubbish. No club sponsors have worried about their team signing convicted criminals, bunch of hypocrites.
None publicly but if you don't think that those kinds of things might affect sponsorships you aren't paying enough attention.

It's worth noting that NRMA Insurance faced a lot of public scrutiny from fans, for example, when it was confirmed Lodge was playing for the Broncos.

They don't sponsor the Broncos anymore. Not saying that decision was about Lodge, but it certainly would've played a part.

Perth Red

Post Whore
You only have to look at how the Sharks have struggled to get sponsors in previous years to see the impact negative news can be on attracting corporates. Most player bad behaviour is a short run story in the sports pages. Something like Folau was an international story that ran and ran. Thats the big difference.

Pommy

Coach
Yeah they're more likely to withdraw because a player stuffs up a welcome to country speech.

How likely are other clubs sponsors to withdraw because of Folau? 50-1? (which would be ridiculous, 'we're withdrawing sponsorship because you are playing against a player we don't like')

How likely are sponsors to withdraw because their club signed Barba or Carney or Bird or Lui? 70-1?

it doesn’t have to be a club sponsor. Sponsors of competitions aren’t going to be thrilled by what he’s said.
Again you’re bringing up the convicted criminal angle and it’s still a false equivalence. Falou is an unrepentant bigot and if you don’t believe that’s going to put sponsors off you’re delusional.
If Matt lodge or Todd Carney were to say they stand by their actions you might have a point.

deluded pom?

Coach
Do we want Falou to give an insincere apology? Plenty of reprobates have done the same just to get another gig. I doubt Falou would apologise as it would compromise his beliefs.

wibble

Bench

Yep. In theory, if we are just discussing their personal qualities and how damaging their lack thereof is, Folou and the other degenerates can probably be said to be more or less equal. We can (and have) quibble at the actual violence done by Lodge vs the potential violence inspired by Folou, and can argue about how irredeemable said degeneracy is, but the practical issue is the threat of sponsorship loss.

You could even have a philosophical discussion about how influenced one should be in ones ethics by commercial coercion, or how much power workplaces should have over private lives. You could even get worked up enough to try to introduce religious freedom laws (even as you ignore your country burning...), but that is all irrelevant to leagues and clubs desperately needing every sponsorship dollar they can get.

Whether people like it or not, generally being homophobic is frowned upon, so much so that businesses do not want to appear to support that attitude, and they will pull sponsorship if they think it portrays them as in favour of Folou's homophobia. It really is as simple as that.

It is remarkable that Catalans seem so shocked at the impact of their actions. I'm guessing French and Australian cultures are at very different places about these sorts of discussions (especially as Folou has been news here for months).

wibble

Bench

Haven't sponsors specifically quoted association with disreputable players as a reason for pulling out? (whether it was a necessary or sufficient cause I guess is unknowable)

deluded pom?

Coach
a sincere one would be a start to his redemption
Then as I said, he would be denying his faith. As I also said how many other reprobates playing professional RL made sincere apologies? Or did they just pay lip service to get a contract? Only they will ever know that.

deluded pom?

Coach
Yep. In theory, if we are just discussing their personal qualities and how damaging their lack thereof is, Folou and the other degenerates can probably be said to be more or less equal. We can (and have) quibble at the actual violence done by Lodge vs the potential violence inspired by Folou, and can argue about how irredeemable said degeneracy is, but the practical issue is the threat of sponsorship loss.

You could even have a philosophical discussion about how influenced one should be in ones ethics by commercial coercion, or how much power workplaces should have over private lives. You could even get worked up enough to try to introduce religious freedom laws (even as you ignore your country burning...), but that is all irrelevant to leagues and clubs desperately needing every sponsorship dollar they can get.

Whether people like it or not, generally being homophobic is frowned upon, so much so that businesses do not want to appear to support that attitude, and they will pull sponsorship if they think it portrays them as in favour of Folou's homophobia. It really is as simple as that.

It is remarkable that Catalans seem so shocked at the impact of their actions. I'm guessing French and Australian cultures are at very different places about these sorts of discussions (especially as Folou has been news here for months).
Genuine question. Are any sports teams in Australia sponsored in any way by Emirates or Etihad airlines?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Then as I said, he would be denying his faith. As I also said how many other reprobates playing professional RL made sincere apologies? Or did they just pay lip service to get a contract? Only they will ever know that.

not necessarily. It would be good enough if he apologised for any hurt a
Caused and that he would keep his stupid views to himself in future, and then most important actually stuck to it!

as for others, they all have, the sincere ones don’t screw up again, the insincere ones do and feel the full wrath of the nrl in getting kicked out for good.

wibble

Bench
Genuine question. Are any sports teams in Australia sponsored in any way by Emirates or Etihad airlines?

I have no idea.

Are you suggesting the homophobic stances of the nations these corporations come from should mean other sponsors would pull out if they sponsored anyone?

If you are, I'm not sure it works that way. Sponsors seem wary of offending "nations" and find it easier to find fault with individuals with politically unpopular views. I'm not saying it is fair or brave, but that seems to be how it is.

Pommy

Coach

Are you about to come up with some really convoluted comparison between Middle East sovereign states and Falou? I bet you are.

I wonder if super league could actually get a net gain in fans from this.
Catalan to gain fans from super Christian Pacific communities. The league as a whole to get fans from the gay community for its reaction.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
Are you about to come up with some really convoluted comparison between Middle East sovereign states and Falou? I bet you are.

I wonder if super league could actually get a net gain in fans from this.
Catalan to gain fans from super Christian Pacific communities. The league as a whole to get fans from the gay community for its reaction.
The whole Israel folau saga made it onto infowars!!!

That’s a pretty big audience good or bad.

deluded pom?

Coach
I have no idea.

Are you suggesting the homophobic stances of the nations these corporations come from should mean other sponsors would pull out if they sponsored anyone?

If you are, I'm not sure it works that way. Sponsors seem wary of offending "nations" and find it easier to find fault with individuals with politically unpopular views. I'm not saying it is fair or brave, but that seems to be how it is.
It’s the sponsored who are happy to take the money and run but get on their high horse when they think they are taking the moral high ground against an individual's views which are very similar to their sponsors that are the hypocrites.