What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scomo saving me

You are the one who is misreading what I am saying.

When I say that we have to worry about protecting democracy before oppositions are banned, you say that I am putting words in your mouth saying that he was elected on a platform of executing Jews.

Clearly I am not saying you said that. I have understood your dismissal of my apt statement.

You are essentially saying that 1) there are complex historical reasons for Nazism
2) Our democracy is strong
3) Therefore the comparison is not apt and is offensive, as we are a long way from Nazism

Neither of your first two points at all counter what I have said, and your third point does not naturally flow from your first two.

As you have said, there are not that many failed democratic states (though there are a number of "semi" democratic states). If we try to analyse why democracies fail, firstly we draw upon a limited number, and secondly, the failed states are pretty vile. This does not invalidate attempts to find why democracies fail though, though I have noted that doing so can be troubling because democracies, even when not strong, are usually a long way from the vile conditions of the few post democratic societies.

So, to directly address your arguments as succinctly as I can:

1) there are complex historical reasons for Nazism.

Yes, there are. I acknowledged some of them. Nevertheless, the point that I have made, that is irrelevant to this argument, is that Germany was a democracy, that through democratic processes (and yes, plenty of others, with help from such august institutions as the church and major business groups) eroded its own democracy to become a disgusting authoritarian country.

You say you acknowledge that it was a democracy, but you don't really agree to this point that democracy can be eroded through processes that are legal in a democracy, as you reiterate that Germany is unique, and besides which...(point 2)

2) Our democracy is much stronger. Which is again a bit of a dodge. You acknowledge Fiji as a Westminster democracy that has failed and still tout our house of review and Westminster system, but even if their were no failed Westminster brand democracies, the point that democracy can devolve through action from democratically elected leaders remains.

The problem with the Nazi label, as I have said, is that it easily offends. You seem caught up with it when you say things like I made a "dogmatic statement", and that you would not apply the "apt tag" (there is no tag), and it is an "appalling comparison". Because of your horror for this horrific regime, you are still leaping to emotional comparisons of the vile things Nazis did in a totalitarian state, which are not at all the things I am saying are "apt".

You are so adamant to make the point that we are nothing like Nazi Germany you have backed down on your earlier distaste for the anti democratic things that have been done recently in Australia (though you hedge on freedom of press).

We are on the same page, you just don't like the comparison.

We both (all) agree that Nazi Germany is a blight on humanity (not hard to agree). We both agree that no democracy currently (and probably even few authoritarian states at the moment) are anything like Nazi Germany in terms of how evil they are (I guess ISIS/ISIL would be up there, and Syria).

We both agree Nazi Germany came from a democratic state, that failed for a variety of complex reasons. We both know that Hitler didn't just gain power, he worked a democratic system (including using terrible violence like the "Night of long Knives", that also had political backing from politicians, the courts and the military despite being technically illegal according to the democratically formed laws) to become a supreme leader above the law.

We also both agree that our governments, even the ones you would find it "appalling" to apply the "apt tag"
to, have been caught out doing things that erode democracy. You have backtracked on that here, but you know spending tax payer money for blatant political purposes is both corrupt, and an erosion of democracy.

The only difference in our positions is how offended you are by any thought that our democracy could collapse. I don't claim it is imminent.

I have said that the extent to which you erode democracy is the extent to which you can be compared to Nazism in terms of political processes, in that it came about from eroded democracy.

If a poorly worded headline is a very minor erosion of democracy (which it is, but very minor), it is not very similar to the well organised propaganda of Goebbels. To call the paper Goebbels like would be unfair. To say that propaganda undermines democracy and allows authoritarian rulers to fool people into giving up democracy, as happened in Nazi Germany, is not unfair. Then it would be apt to remind people that while propaganda starts small and unorganised it has not much effect, it can lead (not by itself, it needs other historical factors) to Nazi like states.

If it were otherwise we would not value free press.

Only because we know that failed democracies can come about and can be terrible, and processes like propaganda, non independent judiciary, police over using powers, no transparency in law etc are tools in creating such states do we value their opposite, democratically affirming processes.

Thats world class bed wetting writing

how the f**k could you run a 3.5-7.5kw pump from a 12 volt battery? Let it go. Im not letting my ideas near your meth lab.
I don't know .but on the limited info you give how would I? If you are being genuine you would give some details. In sure plenty people would be interested in real facts on how to do it . Go for it .

Quicksilver

Bench
Pulling up video from a specific time about a specific incident isn’t the concern.

It’s a network of camera with facial recognition software etc.

My meth lab? Fmd . How would I know? I'm asking you ?
You know its not that difficult.
work out your kwh required inbetween Off-peak times.
Buy sufficient deep cycle batteries plus 20%
Buy a controller charger connected to an off peak power supply.
Set up timer relays for GPO source control
MAke sure there is a ballast ensuring no feedback to mains .

That snures that you only ever pay 20-30% of power price for what ever you run. Totally scaleable depending on demand.

You know its not that difficult.
work out your kwh required inbetween Off-peak times.
Buy sufficient deep cycle batteries plus 20%
Buy a controller charger connected to an off peak power supply.
Set up timer relays for GPO source control
MAke sure there is a ballast ensuring no feedback to mains .

That snures that you only ever pay 20-30% of power price for what ever you run. Totally scaleable depending on demand.
Ok I will check it out. DONT KNOW WHY ITS LIKE PULLING TEETH. MY MAIN OFF PEEK HOURS are irrigation pump and air con to keep 93 yo dad alive.Btw I have no meth lab.hate drugs

wibble

Bench
Thats world class bed wetting writing

Don't pretend you read it. It was more than two sentences.

Myself, l love to read.
Intelligent, thought provoking and entertaining stuff thats well written.

Thats why l read none of your posts.

Your offering lve quoted is a perfect example of the tripe you write.

I'm sure, like Defer, you will be unable to resist continuing to give me insightful and reasoned discussion. But if you do, I'll try to make it through my days.

Maybe I can just imagine people professing to be reasonable adults writing about killing teenage girls and sniping in with insincere slogans and ad hominem discourse, just so I don't feel left out.

wibble

Bench
There’s nothing in the world to be worried about.

Except for Blue haired vegans entering a caged egg farm.

That would be the end of the world

Anyone would wet the bed over that of course

Don't forget the 11 (or was it 12?) people who died from wind power generators.

wibble

Bench
That’s not the point of my post. But no, I don’t like Woolies spying on me.

You always pick the most flippant remarks of any post to attack.

Of course widespread surveillance has more serious consequences than that, but sure, make that the focal point of your attention.

That appears the standard conservative argument around here (with some exceptions, to be fair).

You spoke about internet surveillance, CCTV, big data etc

A dozen replies chiming in about how you are worried about CCTV, especially as it is used to stop paedophiles, so you must be nuts and support paedophiles.

No attempt to engage in serious discourse. No discussion of the issues you raised. Just argument by meme and extreme.

Don't pretend you read it. It was more than two sentences.

I'm sure, like Defer, you will be unable to resist continuing to give me insightful and reasoned discussion. But if you do, I'll try to make it through my days.

Maybe I can just imagine people professing to be reasonable adults writing about killing teenage girls and sniping in with insincere slogans and ad hominem discourse, just so I don't feel left out.
Ideologues... I live in a family full of them. I HAVE BEEN IMIGRANT different culture , supposedly, etc. Can't get rid of accent you gained from 3 to 13 .You learn that ideology is how the ruling classes control people . You learn that you need to think objectively. Study any SCIENCE discipline and learn that is what it is all about. If you want the truth you need to think outside the ideology

carcharias

Immortal
That appears the standard conservative argument around here (with some exceptions, to be fair).

You spoke about internet surveillance, CCTV, big data etc

A dozen replies chiming in about how you are worried about CCTV, especially as it is used to stop paedophiles, so you must be nuts and support paedophiles.

No attempt to engage in serious discourse. No discussion of the issues you raised. Just argument by meme and extreme.

haha
He said cameras in public places

nobody said he supported pedos.
Go read it again.

ive gave him plenty of examples why they are absolutely necessary.

Do you also think they are a bad idea?

Latest posts