What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scomo saving me

carcharias

Immortal
Or, if you wanted to post an equivalent sort of argument to the ones being used against you, you could find an example (or a few) of public cameras being abused.

Like the cop who looked up vehicle registrations of men leaving a gay bar so he could blackmail the married ones for his silence.

Or the police who used similar footage to stalk women they were interested in.

Or the schools that broke guidelines about using cameras in their facilities- every single one of the 60 randomly selected

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...y-breaks-strict-guidelines.html#ixzz2PTaqXytd

Or the intelligence officers that get bored and spy on people getting intimate

https://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2013/08/23/nsa-officers-sometimes-spy-on-love-interests/

And then you could ask people why they are in favour of authorities spying on people to stalk them, or breaking rules when spying on children, or spying on people having sex rather than what they are supposed to?

But that would not be a genuine way to discuss your point, so instead you tried to bring up other areas of surveillance to discuss. Trying to actually, you know, discuss.
Haha
You serious?

we’re talking about Australia here numbnuts.
Those 2 links were for uk and USA.

And the other ones are not about the government spying on you for their advantage.
That what this is all about.
that’s what ya mate is claiming.

FFS

Quicksilver

Bench
only an idiot would suggest they are a bad idea
You did.
Then you tried to back peddle when I pointed how f**king dumb your comment was.

As for internet tracking
What are you looking at the had you worried?

don’t do the wrong you’ve got nothing to worry about.

God. There really is no point in engaging with you. You never engage in a discussion in good faith. You know exactly what I was talking about. I have clarified it for you. You just keep harping back to me pointing out public cameras (among other items). You’re completely disingenuous.

Facial recognition, public cameras, big data, internet tracking etc etc. the whole package. abused by whoever may have access.

Quicksilver

Bench
If you’re really worried about being tracked then I hope you don’t use a smartphone. If you do then I’ve got bad news for you.

Yes, great point. That’s why I brought that up earlier too.

Get dizzy going around in circles here

Eion

First Grade
I'm not getting shitty. I'm not the one piling in with half a dozen echo chamber buddies with complaints of "bed wetting" or "how long" posts are, or emojis.

I couldn't care less if you choose to not engage in discussion, clever or otherwise. You (and others) have chosen to keep the thread rumbling along with insincere discussion, and mockery of any genuine discussion.

Since some people are not doing this, I am enjoying discussing things with them.

If you think I'm wrong and that's it, no discussion needed, more power to you. You'll still have offered nothing to show why, but if you love what you're doing, I'm not one to yuck on your yum.
You’re quite happy to dismiss arguments you don’t like as extreme, then have the gall to leap all over the defence of a hitler comparison argument. I don’t like the hypocrisy.

But if you don’t want to acknowledge that then fine. You know who else was bad at acknowledging their errors? Hitler.

Quicksilver

Bench
Haha
You serious?

And the other ones are not about the government spying on you for their advantage.

FFS

Well, considering they are pretty similar jurisdictions to here (particularly the UK) they are real examples of what can go wrong.

Quicksilver

Bench
You’re quite happy to dismiss arguments you don’t like as extreme, then have the gall to leap all over the defence of a hitler comparison argument. I don’t like the hypocrisy.

But if you don’t want to acknowledge that then fine. You know who else was bad at acknowledging their errors? Hitler.

So you can’t ever compare anything to Hitler?

Hitler had a moustache. So does Merv Hughes.

Any error of fact there?

He has made reasonable arguments. He has not said Scomo is Hitler or any such nonsense. He’s spoken about the breakdown of democracy and how it is possible to get to that point when you chip away at institutions. That is all.

If you start to break something down it won’t be as strong or resilient.

It’s hardly controversial.

Eion

First Grade

Any error of fact there?

He has made reasonable arguments. He has not said Scomo is Hitler or any such nonsense. He’s spoken about the breakdown of democracy and how it is possible to get to that point when you chip away at institutions. That is all.

Do you remember the original post that your mate has leaping to the defence of? Hardly controversial.

Hitler changed laws to favour him and then began descrimating and destroyed human rights. Morriscum and his conservative Bible bashing henchmen are following the same path.
https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2020...ghts-act-government-says/11969036?pfmredir=sm
Authoritarian rule , be scared because scummo is a Nazi in hiding

Any error of fact there?

FMD it’s obvious...Mervs was wayyyyyy better

carcharias

Immortal
God. There really is no point in engaging with you. You never engage in a discussion in good faith. You know exactly what I was talking about. I have clarified it for you. You just keep harping back to me pointing out public cameras (among other items). You’re completely disingenuous.

Facial recognition, public cameras, big data, internet tracking etc etc. the whole package. abused by whoever may have access.

So what in particular are you worried about?

What is “ whoever” doing with this info?

Haha
You serious?

FFS
Thats about the most ignorant post here so far. Having lived for many years in another country I can say that Idealogues are the same worldwide . We have a particularly good ideology here , but if People dont start using the education they have to think objectively we will be down same path of every other country in the world.

wibble

Bench
Haha
You serious?

FFS

Haha

Oh, so Jamie Bulger was kidnapped and killed here? My mistake...

You think individuals abusing surveillance for personal gain doesn't help create a surveillance state?

Anyway, this is your standard fare of chopping off a leaf rather than dealing with a tree.

Quicksilver is claiming a range of surveillance processes are worrying, in that with poor fail safes and oversight they are easily abused. Which can lead to a surveillance state.

A whole bunch of posts helpfully pointed out where public cameras are useful, as if that invalidates the claim (it does not).

I pointed out that a similar, lacking, response would be to point out individual cases where cameras in public have been abused. And you have pointed out where some of those cases I presented were lacking...as if the individual cases matter when I'm pointing out that the whole style of argument is poor. I agree I made a poor argument. That was the point.

FFS

wibble

Bench

It's not because I don't like the arguments that they are extreme. Nor is it the "distance" they are from my ideological position (I'm not actually opposed to public cameras, for example, whereas I have "extreme" views on a wide range of things, compared to the "moderate" position").

It is the argument style, where one part of one argument is taken up, the rest is ignored, or one counter factual of some point is taken to show the whole premise is wrong. It is not a genuine way to make a case.

I believe I acknowledged an error when Carcharias pulled me up for saying that people were saying Quicksilver was pro pedos, which Carcharias clearly did not say, and neither did anyone else.

I am happy to say my use of the word extreme here, was unclear. A glib line like "extreme and meme" is easy to interpret the way you did.

Who here has not admitted an error, in style or facts or substansive argument?

The ad hom filled, trolling, single line, emoji using, teenage girl threatening, refusing to answer questions, bed wetter phobic, "genuine question" ingenuine question using, conservative arguers in this thread (with a few exceptions, apologies to those conservatives making an attempt). Maybe you could find some hypocrisy there, too.

Do you remember the original post that your mate has leaping to the defence of? Hardly controversial.

Do you remember my "leaping defense?"

I pointed out that claims based on the horrific nature of the authoritarian Nazi regime are troubling.

But claims that the Nazis used democracy and eroded it are fine, if you are saying that to remind people when they see democracy being eroded that it can lead to authoritarian states.

Just as Quicksilver said.

I don't get why this bothers anyone. We can't use Pol Pot as an example of this. He never eroded any democracy.

We can only talk about democracies that have "allowed" (keeping in mind this is not a universal acceptance from everyone within those democracies) themselves to become authoritarian, and we can only point out the things that lead to that, with reference to a few, very horrible regimes.

If Nazi Germany doesn't remind us to guard democracy against politicians who would destroy it, from all sides of politics, then I don't know what will.

Last edited:
Thats about the most ignorant post here so far. Having lived for many years in another country I can say that Idealogues are the same worldwide . We have a particularly good ideology here , but if People dont start using the education they have to think objectively we will be down same path of every other country in the world.
So you are basically saying Australia is like a country that decalared war on the rest of the world then got its ass handed to it & had a wall bilt down the middle of the capital for 50 years, that was then torn down & went on to form a super power with other identical countries , like the ones it bombed, & then let any dumb African across any of their borders so that they could sell Nike Rip offs at every corner?

carcharias

Immortal
Haha

Oh, so Jamie Bulger was kidnapped and killed here? My mistake...

You think individuals abusing surveillance for personal gain doesn't help create a surveillance state?

Anyway, this is your standard fare of chopping off a leaf rather than dealing with a tree.

Quicksilver is claiming a range of surveillance processes are worrying, in that with poor fail safes and oversight they are easily abused. Which can lead to a surveillance state.

A whole bunch of posts helpfully pointed out where public cameras are useful, as if that invalidates the claim (it does not).

I pointed out that a similar, lacking, response would be to point out individual cases where cameras in public have been abused. And you have pointed out where some of those cases I presented were lacking...as if the individual cases matter when I'm pointing out that the whole style of argument is poor. I agree I made a poor argument. That was the point.

FFS

he was talking about scomo and the gov using it to gain some sort of secret info from Australians.
1) a camera in a public place will do f**k all in that capacity.
2) I just showed him the most famous cctv footage ever , just to remind him what they are actually used for.
3) you mentioned a couple of blokes breaking the law by using it as an excuse for quicksilver dumb arse comments.
That is not what he was trying to say.
That isn’t even the same thing.

I could easily put links where the federal police have caught merkins that were planning to kill people.... here in Australia
Yet you come up with a bloke using it to try to pull a root..

ha

carcharias

Immortal

We are talking about the Australian government spying on its citizens
Not your holiday.

Quicksilver

Bench
he was talking about scomo and the gov using it to gain some sort of secret info from Australians.
1) a camera in a public place will do f**k all in that capacity.
2) I just showed him the most famous cctv footage ever , just to remind him what they are actually used for.
3) you mentioned a couple of blokes breaking the law by using it as an excuse for quicksilver dumb arse comments.
That is not what he was trying to say.
That isn’t even the same thing.

I could easily put links where the federal police have caught merkins that were planning to kill people.... here in Australia
Yet you come up with a bloke using it to try to pull a root..

ha
Except no, I didn’t.

Round and round we go

Quicksilver

Bench
Guess what?

I’ll let you win based on what you think I said and the parameters you put on the conversation.

(God forbid I actually write an argument more than three paragraphs. I’ll be called out like the others)

Latest posts