What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Coronavirus and NRL

Xcalibre

Juniors
As much as I’m glad the footy is back and am annoyed it might be stopped altogether, seeing all those people crammed into the new Cows stadium last night made me think, whichever terrorist designed this covid-19 attack is brilliant. Even with everyone being bombarded with story after story about the virus (it seems to be on half the time) they still came in their thousands, and to Parra too.

Seriously? I can’t think of a much better way to efficiently spread a very contagious virus.

Further to this and probably more concerning, footy players haven’t changed their post-match behaviour AT ALL. Shaking hands and hugging. Are they actually TRYING to get it?

wibble

Bench
No. Whilst I may not be a supporter of Scott Morrison, he has moved at the right pace as advised by medical experts. I mean if you want chaos, have a look at how Donald Trump has handled it in the US. Unilateral ban on all travel from Europe spiked an economic downturn, has ignored all advice from places like the CDC. Fact is US sports have handled it better than the US Government has.

The complete unwillingness of the US government to move beyond containment, and their bungling of testing kits even while trying to do containment, may tragically cost hundreds of thousands of lives in such a large country.

Mr. Shaman

First Grade
Further to this and probably more concerning, footy players haven’t changed their post-match behaviour AT ALL. Shaking hands and hugging. Are they actually TRYING to get it?

Dude, banning post-match hugs won't change a thing after the spend 80 minutes dry humping and smearing blood, sweat, and spit on each other.

Grapple

Bench
Maybe we should do a "crazy loud fan contest" and let the 100 or so loudest, most one eyed, not-ashamed-of-their-passion, fans of each club come to each game still, spread 1 to each bay area (and no shared toilets or eating spaces).

In reality, I can't see many games continuing for the next month or two, fans or no fans.

I like it. Problem is they'd all be hovering around outside with their tickets.

I think least nrl could do is work with Fox or whoever and give a discount so people could stream it online for next to nothing. (for those who don't already have access)... I'd imagine most people would be thankful for that if the games do go ahead.

To be honest i'm liking the approach of being overly cautious compared to the opposite. It's so early yet nobody can be sure how this will play out.

The author of the article linked shows how if Hubei was locked down 1 day earlier, it might have reduced the cases by 20 000.

People saying this is "only" affecting 200 people in Australia are missing the point of the power of exponential growth. You shouldn't be counting from the front, as it were, but from the end. 1 week less, even 1 day less, of exponential growth will be unnoticeable in number of cases at the start of an epidemic, but can be huge by the end.

And we also have way more than 200 cases. Everywhere that has gotten to 200 cases, a week later has discovered they had many times this number. The article also shows how when they thought there were 444 cases in Wuhan, there were actually about 12 000. The number of official cases in Australia could be 10 or even 20 or 30 times lower than the actual number.

On top of all of this, we are getting coronavirus heading into our flu season, unlike the Northern Hemisphere countries. So if our medical system already struggles at peak flu season, adding coronavirus to the mix could be disastrous.

We absolutely have to take this seriously, right now, before it becomes unstoppable. Even a 0.5% death rate on top of our flu season would be bad, and that is an absolute best case scenario if we lock down our towns and cities right now (not on Monday, not just a suggestion, not just sporting events).

40% increase in cases overnight, if we keep that up we could get 1000 times as many infected in 3 weeks. If we have 2000 infected now, which is possible, that could be 2 million in just 3 weeks. If that happens, our medical system will absolutely be overwhelmed, and our elderly population will get close to the 7% that Italy has. And shortly after that we will enter flu season, but will have no medical spaces for people with the flu, which will make it one of the deadlier flu seasons.

We are talking about 150 000 + deaths in this country, most of us losing a loved one, if we don't start taking this seriously.

My prediction is in a week and a half we will get more serious, schools and public transport will close, and a week after that most shops. We won't have acted early enough to get the "good case" of "only" 0.5% deaths (and "only" tens of thousands of cases, so "only" a few hundred deaths, or a mild flu season, as people are saying). But that will hopefully stop catastrophic losses like I have suggested could happen.

Lock down the whole population huh? Have you seriously thought through the implications of that. So everyone stays home and no one goes to work at all.

Yeah I can see the electricity still running, water still running, all the essential services will be right and available as you don't need people for them do you and they never break down? Also supermarkets will get food and have supplies available and people to deliver them as you don't need people for them either, right? Also you don't need people to deliver those supplies or make them do you? Also there will be treatment available at all hospitals as you don't need people there to treat the sick, right?

I am not taking this lightly, but the stupidity of saying "lock down the whole population" is just plain ridiculous as it is completely impractical. If you think it is, tell me how we keep food being available and "essential" services when everyone is locked in their homes?

Xcalibre

Juniors
Maybe we should do a "crazy loud fan contest" and let the 100 or so loudest, most one eyed, not-ashamed-of-their-passion, fans of each club come to each game still, spread 1 to each bay area (and no shared toilets or eating spaces).

In reality, I can't see many games continuing for the next month or two, fans or no fans.

Yeah nah. I say have bay C19 designated for the infected and have a cordoned off area so the sick can still enjoy a day out at the footy, without infecting more. Gotta keep morale up!

They can assign a C19 entry too, with checks for those with symptoms but no diagnosis as yet.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
Maybe the players should reenact the gridiron scene from jarhead and play with gas masks on. Be fun to watch, dogs attack might actually improve

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
The nbl gf last night they didnt shake hands at the end to avoid spreading germs because they obviously hadnt contacted each other all for the previous four quarters

Springs09

Juniors

Yeah you're right. Luckily they didn't just spend the 80 minutes before they shook hands with a player packing scrums.

ek999

First Grade
I dont think it will be on next round given the NZ self-isolation

Edit: Unless they stay in Australia but I cant see that being a months long solution

wibble

Bench
Lock down the whole population huh? Have you seriously thought through the implications of that. So everyone stays home and no one goes to work at all.

Yeah I can see the electricity still running, water still running, all the essential services will be right and available as you don't need people for them do you and they never break down? Also supermarkets will get food and have supplies available and people to deliver them as you don't need people for them either, right? Also you don't need people to deliver those supplies or make them do you? Also there will be treatment available at all hospitals as you don't need people there to treat the sick, right?

I am not taking this lightly, but the stupidity of saying "lock down the whole population" is just plain ridiculous as it is completely impractical. If you think it is, tell me how we keep food being available and "essential" services when everyone is locked in their homes?

Sure, you interpret that how you like and go crazy.

Or we could lock down the population like China did, South Korea did, Japan did, Italy has just done (too late), and France is starting to do, and yet miraculously keep essential services running.

Springs09

Juniors

Hey come on, it's not like we'd be in a depression that would take over a decade to get out of right? No one going to work for a month or two?

Have to be careful in the 'precautions' and so on otherwise the f**king up of the economy will cause a lot more lasting damage than the virus would. No one going to work is completely unfeasible.

Latest posts