What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Coronavirus and NRL

moffla

Bench
I think we play out around 1 and suspend the comp for 6 weeks or so. Far from ideal but I don’t feel right, as a fan, simply booting Warriors from the entire season from something that is not their fault.

Nor is it right to keep them away from their families.

johns_reds

First Grade
Warriors games should just be draws until the restrictions (isolation) on international travel is removed.

Or postpone the competition until all teams are free to play, They’re doing it in football in Europe and NBA etc.

Pommy

Coach
For half a year.

Sounds great.

Lets treat Footballers like Migrant Workers in the Gulf.

Lol yeah it would be exactly the same thing.

Look I’m not saying it should happen but let’s not pretend people don’t spend time away from families for less money and in worse conditions than we would be talking about here.

shiznit

Coach
Lol yeah it would be exactly the same thing.

Look I’m not saying it should happen but let’s not pretend people don’t spend time away from families for less money and in worse conditions than we would be talking about here.
But that’s usually for something meaningful...

what your talking about here is for a f**king RL competition.

The Great Dane

First Grade
I don't think that what the NRL wants really matters.

The broadcasters hold the money and power in this situation, if they aren't willing for the competition to stop then it'll go on in some form.

some11

Referee
I don't think that what the NRL wants really matters.

The broadcasters hold the money and power in this situation, if they aren't willing for the competition to stop then it'll go on in some form.
Lmao, it's not up to them.

Tough shit, every big competition on the planet is in lockdown. It's inevitable.

TheFrog

Coach
They could just run the competition without the Warriors for the season.... it’s early enough in the season that it won’t affect the draw too much you’d think...

it sucks... but if the NRL are hellbent on the season going on they could just give the Warriors the season off...
That takes out 12.5% of TV money. They'll have to do it if the Warriors players won't play ball, but its a last resort. They are talking about basing teams in Darwin and Townsville, so the Warriors may not be alone in being away from loved ones.

Pommy

Coach

it’s a business just like any other. These times are going to send businesses to the wall, rugby league clubs aren’t going to be immune from that. We don’t know the ins and outs of the business but let’s not pretend these players are being held in some kind of modern day slavery.

The Great Dane

First Grade

Is digging coal and other minerals out of the ground and making movies really all that meaningful...

And let's be honest, the real reason that people take jobs that keep them away from their families for extended periods of time is because of the money.

t-ba

Post Whore
Bloody hell that's a name from the past. He was the reason my first jersey was a Norths one. (wish I still had it!)

It may be a but sacrilegious but he was probably my favourite player growing up.

Absolutely awesome dude as well. Good people.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Lmao, it's not up to them.

Tough shit, every big competition on the planet is in lockdown. It's inevitable.

It really is up to them.

If they have a clause that allows them to not payout their broadcasting contracts if the NRL doesn't provide the content, which they undoubtedly do, then they'll have the final say because the NRL will be in a really bad place if they have to give up that money.

If they say continue with the season or your not getting payed, then the NRL will find a way to continue on.

Valheru

Coach
It is a deadset certainty that the season will be canned. Bookies would have the season being canned odds of $1.01 right now.

Canned isnt the right word.

Suspended.

Most sporting events have been suspended through April. No reason to believe at this stage that the NRL cant continue at some point.

TheFrog

Coach
CANCEL THE f**kING GAMES ALREADY
JESUS!

you cant let this game happen... cancel the season, award the premiership and we'll see you next march ffs
This is ridiculous
The NRL won;t do this until the Government tells them they must, and they'll then seek compensation. You would have seen V'landys saying the game would go to the wall if games are not played. He'd know.

Cactus

Juniors
Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison delivered a press conference Friday afternoon when he announced the Government’s advice to ban organised events with an audience of more than 500 people.

Titans reported to be overjoyed at being exempted from ban by virtue of the criteria

I know it's pretty unlikely anyone has my extreme level of wit but has anyone made the joke of how this won't affect the Titans or Roosters yet? Because if not..
This won't affect the Titans or Roosters. ha lol.

Ahem....I match your wit, just faster.

Please send your royalty cheques to PO Box Cactus Cactusville Oz

flippikat

Bench
Canned isnt the right word.

Suspended.

Most sporting events have been suspended through April. No reason to believe at this stage that the NRL cant continue at some point.

Precisely. It's quickly becoming commonplace in Europe, America & Asia. It's accepted risk minimization.. and it has to happen here.

Delay the season for a month, then reassess (Grand final early November). If it's still no good, give it another month (GF possibly December). If STILL no good, write-off the season.

There are chances to re-assess. Pressing pause doesn't *necessarily* mean the end of season 2020.

Cactus

Juniors
It really is up to them.

If they have a clause that allows them to not payout their broadcasting contracts if the NRL doesn't provide the content, which they undoubtedly do, then they'll have the final say because the NRL will be in a really bad place if they have to give up that money.

If they say continue with the season or your not getting payed, then the NRL will find a way to continue on.

FKN LOL

Its totally up to the Federal Government (via the medical advice given)